“Still great hotel - second visit !”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #10 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Antwerp, Belgium
“Still great hotel - second visit !”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

For my 15th anniversary and the 60th birthday of my father I arranged a great visit to Florida. My wife and father weren’t aware that we would visit Florida. On big surprise trip !

Last time (2011) I also booked this hotel and I can say that it is really great. You should give the hotel a call before you go. They are very helpful and polite and they will arrange everything to satisfy your needs / demands. We got two great penthouses and we could enjoy some great breakfast in the morning!

Thanks all, you can be sure that I will always advise you to other people !

Sorry that I wrote this review this late but time really flies :-)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Gerrit,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review (it doesn't matter when you stayed with us) we really appreciate hearing our guest feedback.

We are delighted that your stay with your family went well and happy anniversary to you and happy belated 60th to your father. Being a small intimate boutique hotel we like to personalize the guest experience as much as possible so guests calling ahead and letting us know a little about their visit allows us to make it very personalized.

We hope you come back soon and not wait four more years to visit.

All the best

Director of Sales & Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Veeery near the beach, impecable, friendly staff
One day we forgot to push the button to have our room cleaned and they managed to do it while we were out to dinner!
The beach guys had our chairs ready in under 5 minutes
They had a cocktail happy-hour for the guests one night, very nice for meeting people and eating
We recomend eating at Ola, just a 10 minute walk away
Room was huge, complementary coffee
The shower is as good as all the reviews say
No late check-outs though

Room Tip: if you can afford it, get the jacuzzi
Dear Milasbs,

Thank you so much for your genuine and sincere review of the Z Ocean and we are so happy that we lived up to our previous reviews.

The staff on the beach take great care of the guests and really have the best jobs in the entire hotel how many of us can see we have that fabulous view everyday at work!!!!

The managers cocktail is a weekly meet and great for the guests and staff to meet and socialize. I personally love to interact with our guests and get to know more about them.

Hopefully on your next visit you'll stay longer. Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

East Anglia, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed for just 1 night, and I wish it had been longer! We started our trip in Fort Lauderdale a couple of days before, which was OK, but this place was great!!
You would never know it is a Crowne Plaza, but if you are a priority club member, it is certainly worth booking with your membership - no resort fee and free wifi.
The reception area is small, but very nice, very Miami in its decor. The rooms are awesome. We had the standard suite, overlooking the pool, and if you looked hard enough, you could catch a glimpse of the ocean!
The resort / daily fee (if you are not priority club) gets you 2 beach loungers and an umbrella- great spot on the beach. We arrived at the hotel early and they had our names at the hut on the beach, so we spent a whole day catching some sun.
We chose to park in a garage at The Anchor Shops, 16th and Collins, for $16 a day. Well worth walking a couple of mins to save the money on parking!
I liked this location because it was in the area of high end hotels at South Beach, with a really nice vibe. Walk 10 mins South of this, and its alot louder! As a couple wanting to soak up the atmosphere, but not wanting to stay awake all night, we certainly appreciated this location, the room was really quiet at night.
The reasons I didnt rate this 5 out of 5.... price is high (but most places in this area are!), parking costs.
Next time I'm in South Beach, I'll definitely stay here again.

Dear Sunlover,

Thank you for your recent review of the Z Ocean Hotel and for being a loyal Priority Club member. Although your stay was short (one night only) I'm glad you were able to soak up the sun and take in the local scene.

Like you mentioned the Z Ocean is in the thick of things here on South Beach walk in any direction and your in the middle of everything.... yet quite enough for a peaceful nights rest.

We look forward to making this your home when visiting South Beach and welcoming you back real soon (must be cold in Chicago right now).

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed January 2, 2013

My husband surprised me with a long weekend here. He wouldn't tell me anything about the hotel or our room before we went, but I was sold on the place from the complimentary champagne at check-in to the cab they had waiting to whisk us to the airport when we left.

Our penthouse suite had a private hot tub on the roof. Allow me to repeat: private. hot tub. on a roof. There it was, up a spiral staircase and sitting on a dais overlooking the city with a privacy curtain and retractable rain roof and cushioned wicker bed thing next to it. Each time we asked to have it serviced, a guy would arrive quickly to fill it and give us towels and bath salts, and being able to hook our music up to the Bose speaker was a nice touch.

The room was luxurious, the bed and linens felt like sleeping on a cloud, and each time we needed something it was delivered promptly (with the exception of a razor. They forgot to bring us that). The location couldn't have been better - just across the street from the beach, near the action on Ocean Drive but not exactly IN it (so we could have a vacation, and not an episode of Jersey Shore). We didn't hit up the restaurant, but enjoyed a quiet afternoon by the pool.

A few minor notes to management: our room (PH18) must have been near housekeeping, and every time they opened the door we could hear it clearly. Also, we couldn't figure out how to get bubbles in our hot tub, and when we called to ask we were shown a button that created minor currents along the bottom. On our last night, we figured out on our own that turning a knob along the top makes it fizz. You may want to consider including a manual or instructions for the hot tub in the room. And finally, a privacy curtain along the side of our roof deck would have been nice. Our neighbors and I could see each other from our wicker beds, which is just kind of awkward when you're trying to be romantic.

Overall, our stay was pretty incredible, and I'd certainly go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank GnomeDepot
Dear Gnomedepot,

Thank you for your recent review of the Z Ocean Hotel and this sounded like a wonderful surprise kudos to your husband!!! .

Very happy to read of your recent experience and how much you enjoyed the accommodations especially the "private hot tub", it's true the proximity of the hotel is in the heart of everything but in a quite little corner for the best nights sleep on South Beach.

Your recommendation on the hot tub cheat sheet is in the works (thank you) and it will be in place for your next visit. We hope to welcoming you back real soon.

Take care,

London
Reviewed January 1, 2013

On the week before Christmas we spent our second visit to he z ocean hotel, on this occasion just for 1 night. We arrived late and had a warm reception from the doorman, and initially from reception, however as I had experienced from my last visit, it becomes a little more frosty when you are staying on points - even when it is Christmas.

On our initial hello with reception she said that the hotel was really quiet, as a platinum member I therefore asked was there a possibility to have a roof terrace room as we were only there one night - however they mysteriously became fully booked instantly with all the non-existent guests. Eventually she did agree to give us a room with a jacuzzi, albeit with a view of a blank wall. However, we thought we would make the most of it and stay in using the facility. You have to phone reception to ask for someone to do this for you - after 3 further calls to reception and an hour and a half later we decided to do it ourselves.

Next day, we were joining a cruise in the afternoon and asked if we could stay in the room until 1.30pm - again a service one expects as a platinum member,however were informed that check out was noon! I again questioned this, and was told that they couldn't provide a late check out as they needed the room. Again I mentioned the fact that it was Sunday, the week before Christmas, and that their colleague said the hotel was very quiet. Reluctantly, she spoke to the manager and came ack with 1pm as a maximum, meaning we had to sit in the lobby for 30 mins instead. This is no real hardship, however it did to us seem to reflect meanness of spirit!

Rooms themselves are spacious and well maintained. Few rooms will have good views. Room service was reasonably priced. Pool area is pretty limited, and the beach a short walk away. I agree that the resort fee is a little cheeky for all guests, as during our short stay we had no opportunity to use the facilities.

The best thing about this hotel however are the beds - absolutely first class!!!! The location is very good also, even though not quite in the beach.

The hotel s. good use of Pcr points, however we have earned this advantage - don't make us feel second class - withdraw from the programme, if you dont want peope to use it. Have a little Christmas spirit mr Z - Scrooge.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JKlondon09
Dear JKlondon09,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach and thank you for being a loyal Platinum Priority Club member.

Thanks for the genuine feedback. Your review raised a few red flags with our Front Desk team as we always like to pamper our PC members. Sometimes due to arrivals, upgrades are not available and during the holiday period the hotel was very full. I was happy to see that ultimately we were able to provide you with a spa suite during your visit.

I was happy to read you were pleased with our rooms and found our beds comfortable on your next visit please send me an email (frank.fuentes@ihg.com) and I will try my hardest to accommodate your request.

Frank "Tony Tim" Fuentes
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 25, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed in one of the penthouses. The room is gorgeous and stately, and decorated in a rather suave and adult way. The view was sold as "partial ocean", and I was pleasantly surprised that this did not comprise a slice of coastline, but was much more expansive than anticipated.
The jacuzzi was glorious, and included Aveda bathsalts. The shower too was stellar.
My only (very minor) complaint was with the spa services (never received). Shortly after check-in, there was a card offering 15% off spa services inserted under our door. Having already decided to sign up for a massage,this was not the deciding factor, but was very much appreciated. The hotel info brief specified that massages needed to be booked at least 2 hours in advance. I attempted to book said massage the evening before, but the front desk informed me that it had to be made the next morning. The morning after, I gave the front desk a 6 hour notice and was promised a return phone call upon placing that reservation. After 30 minutes waiting by the phone, we called again and were told that they were working on it...and that was the last I heard from the front desk. At the very least, i would have appreciated a call explaining that the masseuse (who is not onsite) was unable to accommodate my request, rather than waiting in the dark.
Still, this is a glorious bit of real estate in South Beach. I would not hesitate to stay again (and book my spa services at one of the many other hotels offering these in the near vicinity)

1 Thank sselhorst
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Sselhorst,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your visit to the Z Ocean. I am disappointed that we failed to exceed your expectations but am grateful you took the time to provide me with the details. I have met with our Spa Director and she will be retraining front desk staff to ensure this does not happen moving forward.

Our spa service is very accommodating to our guests and really don't follow set hours we have had guests schedule midnight massages.

As for our views we do like to say partial Ocean View Rooftops and everyone comes down pleasantly surprised the views stretch for miles on South Beach with that wonderful blue ocean. The fact that you have to turn your head slightly to the left (depending on room) is why we say partial rather than full on!!

Once again thank you so much for the feedback and on your return please call me directly and I will schedule you the most amazing spa treatment you'll ever have (and the price will be better than the 20% off)......

Looking forward to your next visit have a great and safe new years.

All the best

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 23, 2012

I just returned to Milwaukee after my third December trip to the Z-Ocean Hotel in Miami Beach. I am so comfortable here, I can't imagine even trying anywhere else. The rooms are very comfortable, I always get a great balcony with a view of the pool. The showers are in a league of their own! Each visit I have had a room with a wet bar, espresso maker, micro, fridge and so on. The Front Porch Cafe serves meals all day long, with a separate dinner menu. There is-- really-- an open-air front porch under huge umbrellas, or you can eat inside.

You're just a block's walk to the beach, which walk takes you past the Starbucks and through lovely Lummus Park. The beach crew attends to your every need with a smile-- chairs, towels, big umbrellas, and so on. Joggers will love this set-up!

Most anything you need or want is within a few blocks walking distance of the Z-Ocean Hotel: groceries, liquor, the NY TImes, other supplies and the fabulous Lincoln Road Pedestrian Mall with more restaurants and shops than you can visit in a week. Whole Foods Market is about ten blocks away. There are rental bikes all OVER the place. If it sounds like you, visit the Pizza Bar as you walk to Lincoln Road and get the biggest slice I've ever seen, and it's good pizza, too!

I don't want for anything when I stay at the Z-Ocean Hotel (if I did, the staff would see that I got it) and I'll be the guy there for 5-7 days again NEXT December for the fourth time, with the big smile on his face.

I

Room Tip: I've never had a room on the north side, but from outside it looks like those rooms overlook an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Keith P
Dear Keith,

Hello there, so nice to hear about your stay to the Z Ocean. Sorry for the delay in responding... but are delighted that your stay with us was memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, hope to see you soon.

All the best,