WINNER WONDERLAND

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #8 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“My favorite hotel on South Beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I just returned to Milwaukee after my third December trip to the Z-Ocean Hotel in Miami Beach. I am so comfortable here, I can't imagine even trying anywhere else. The rooms are very comfortable, I always get a great balcony with a view of the pool. The showers are in a league of their own! Each visit I have had a room with a wet bar, espresso maker, micro, fridge and so on. The Front Porch Cafe serves meals all day long, with a separate dinner menu. There is-- really-- an open-air front porch under huge umbrellas, or you can eat inside.

You're just a block's walk to the beach, which walk takes you past the Starbucks and through lovely Lummus Park. The beach crew attends to your every need with a smile-- chairs, towels, big umbrellas, and so on. Joggers will love this set-up!

Most anything you need or want is within a few blocks walking distance of the Z-Ocean Hotel: groceries, liquor, the NY TImes, other supplies and the fabulous Lincoln Road Pedestrian Mall with more restaurants and shops than you can visit in a week. Whole Foods Market is about ten blocks away. There are rental bikes all OVER the place. If it sounds like you, visit the Pizza Bar as you walk to Lincoln Road and get the biggest slice I've ever seen, and it's good pizza, too!

I don't want for anything when I stay at the Z-Ocean Hotel (if I did, the staff would see that I got it) and I'll be the guy there for 5-7 days again NEXT December for the fourth time, with the big smile on his face.

I

Room Tip: I've never had a room on the north side, but from outside it looks like those rooms overlook an...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Keith P
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear Keith,

Hello there, so nice to hear about your stay to the Z Ocean. Sorry for the delay in responding... but are delighted that your stay with us was memorable.

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments, hope to see you soon.

All the best,

Frank Fuentes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (422)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed one night on points while visiting the Miami area and have to say this hotel was a pleasant surprise. The hotel main entrance (including the garage) is on Collins Av. but the building has also another (nicer) entrance on Ocean drive. This is right at the end (or the beginning) of Ocean drive, in a quieter area but close to the action and adjacent to the Betsy. As an IHG's Priority Club elite, received free internet (on all our devices) and had not to pay the resort fee. Also, as we were celebrating , the hotel upgraded us to a nice corner room , facing Ocean drive and sent a bottle of rather good white wine and a nice card. All room are suites with a kitchenette . Our suite was large while not huge, with a large bathroom and a nice terrace with table, 2 chairs and 2 sun beds, There is a small but nice swimming pool on the inside of the Hotel. There is a restaurant which we used for an happy hour drink (average) and a fish taco appetizer (rather good) but not for dinner nor breakfast. The hotel is "technically" a Crown Plaza but it has all a different - far better - character while offering all comforts. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room on Ocean Drive
1 Thank pascucp2012
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear Pascucp2012,

Thank you for your comments on your recent visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach and thank you for being a loyal Priority Club member.

Very happy to read of your wonderful stay during your brief visit with us. We are the only hotel tp span both Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue making our hotel very accessible to the area.

We have been a proud member of IHG for the past three plus years and your correct on not being branded a Crowne Plaza on property level we like to maintain a more boutique luxury hotel atmosphere for our guests to enjoy but yet still provide our Priority Club members all the perks (and sometimes more) of the program.

Thanks again for visiting with us, hope to see you back here soon.

All the best,

Grapevine, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I liked the fact that all of the rooms were suites so each has a large outdoor terrace and its only a block to the beach plus its right in the middle of all of the action in terms of restaurants and bars. I did initially think the hotel was right on the beach so I was a little surprised to find it was not, but it was only across the street...that being said there is about a $15 a day resort fee which goes to umbrellas / chairs for the beach. I was on business so could not use that service so I think its unfair to have everyone subsidize this fee for all guests when many may not use it. I could maybe see how it might be different if the hotel was actually on the beach, but it is not.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Garth O
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Garth,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and also for being a Priority Club member. I'm sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. All comments and reviews are taken seriously. As you stated we are not directly on the Ocean but as all hotels on Ocean Drive just a few steps from the white sandy beach.

The resort fee you mentioned is indeed charged to all guests staying at the Z Ocean (as is the norm with most hotels on South Beach) and do include everything you stated beach chairs, umbrellas and towels but also include complimentary wireless in public areas of hotel, nightly turn-down amenity, daily newspaper, complimentary bottled water daily, Nespresso coffee makers, use of fitness center and welcome drink we also have dedicated staff in both our pool and beach areas that are exclusively there to provide you a more personalized service.

If you still feel you were charged a resort fee unfairly please feel free to contact me directly frank.fuentes@ihg.com to discuss further.

Have a great holiday season and looking forward to welcoming you back in 2013.

Take care,

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed there for 3 nights on points as a pre-holidays getaway. For being a PCR Member, got free wireless internet. The hotel has a bar downstairs and great lounge area, concierge and a restaurant that has great food and excellent service. The front desk people called us a cab right away when we needed it. The rooms had a great rain shower, the bed was big and comfy, the maid service was accommodating, and the location was great, within a short walk to everything on the beach, but not too loud or cramped. Would definately stay here again - though not sure if I would have paid the full price, didn't even look at the price since I was staying on points. Recommend getting a room with a balcony on the second floor that walks out to the pool, its great to open your window and walk literally ten feet to sun poolside. They have a bar on the pool too, and a hot tub.

Room Tip: 2nd floor on the pool side
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear Michael,

I am so glad to hear that you had the Zexperience during your recent stay at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. We also want to thank you for being a loyal Priority Club member and that you chose us to redeem your points with destinations like Paris, Buenos Aires, Fiji and Shanghai (to name a few) South Beach is honored to be your first location.

I am glad you enjoyed your Pool Lanai Suite and like you mentioned the pool is literally 10 feet from your sliding glass door perfect for midnight dips!

If you find yourself back in South Beach any time soon please feel free to call upon me personally so I may assist you with another great stay in sunny Miami Beach.

Have a happy holiday season and stay safe.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Z Ocean for 7 nights and for 6 days were totally impressed, however after returning to our room on the penultimate day of our stay we discovered that my mobile phone had gone missing. Initially this was not taken seriously by security and we did feel very aggrieved. However after providing a receipt for a replacement the Hotel very quickly credited the amount to my account. If you do intend to stay please ensure that everything is locked away securely.

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Dmaw,

Please accept my sincere apologies once again for your phone and I am glad that our resolution was to your satisfaction. We do take great concern for our guests safety and personal belongings during their visit to the Z Ocean.

I was glad to read that this incident did not ruin your trip to South Beach and that you had a fantastic time during your visit. We are pleased that we exceeded your expectations and I'm grateful you took the time to provide us with feedback. Thank you!

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Happy holidays,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for my birthday and we were in a penthouse suite.

The staff is so friendly and helpful. Kristen even put together an envelope of free drink passes for different night clubs since the concierge desk was closed. The restaurant in the lobby has amazing brunch!!! The food was fantastic.

We called downstairs a few times to ask for things like towels. They came up to the room within ten minutes.

This is now our favorite hotel and we will definitely come back!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Erin,

Amazing feedback!!! Thank you!!

Please feel free to reach out to me the next time you are in South Beach if I can assist with reservations or any more passes to the clubs. P.S. Kristen says hello....

Have a great holiday season.

Take care,

Florida, Uruguay
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

Just before our cruise on the Norwegian Epic, we had a complimentary night stay at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach as part of our cruise package. This hotel was great! The valet, front desk staff, and concierge were all very courteous, friendly, and professional. The room was a South Beach King Suite which was large (about 500 square feet), with dual vanities, wet bar, Nepresso coffee machine, living area, comfortable King bed, expansive balcony with loung chairs and pool and ocean views, ...the list goes on. The decor is modern and chic. Somehow part of the lobby is below the swimming pool (not sure what is holding up the pool) but it is cool. There are "skylights" so to speak in the ceiling looking into the bottom of the pool. Very cool. The Front Porch restaurant is very nice with a relaxing pace. The location is steps away from the action on South Beach, but just in the right location that you can get away from the craziness if you'd like. The other nice thing is that you can use frequent traveler points here if you are in the Priority Club program (Crown Plaza, Intercontinental, Holiday Inn, etc). We will definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to others. Thank you Z hotel for a wonderful relaxing pre-cruise experience.

Room Tip: I think all rooms must be great! I think we got the standard suite (see above) and it was fabulous...
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Dear CK,

Awesome! Thank you so much for your glowing review and great comments about our hotel and our staff and the Front Porch Cafe! Although a brief visit you seemed to have truly grasp everything we strive for here at the Z Ocean.

We are so happy that we were able to make your one night special and you had a stay full of great memories. Thank you for choosing the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, and thank you for being a loyal Priority Club member.

We hope to see you for many more visits in the future!

Sincerely yours,