“Anniversary in Miami”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #18 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed at the Z Ocean Hotel in September 2012. Since we were celebrating our anniversary, I was hoping this hotel enhanced our experience in Miami! It definitely did! Service was great from the moment we arrived. Everyone at the front desk was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was awesome! We absolutely loved the bathroom! The shower with the 6 shower heads was a plus!! The bed was so comfortable that it provided my husband and I with some of the best quality rest we've had in weeks! I'd definitely recommend this hotel for couples. Each lighting fixture included dimmers so you could set the mood if you wished. The hotel's restaurant, Front Porch Cafe, had really great food was reasonably priced. Portions are huge! I particularly enjoyed the cheeseburger sliders (twice)! If you like sweet drinks, try a strawberry margarita, very good! The staff also sent us a complimentary bottle of wine in recognition of our anniversary. The staff really went out of their way to ensure all our needs were met. We will definitely stay here again!

Areas for improvement- (Room #306) tv was really flaky. the tv guide was inaccurate at times and the tv was challenging to control, especially the volume. Drainage in the shower could use some repair. When all shower heads were in use, about an inch of water collected in the shower floor. Also the handheld shower head would not stay centered and kept drifting to the right.

1  Thank Stacey R
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for the great review!

Dear Stacey,

First I want to say thank you for staying with us during your anniversary we know there are many choices here on South Beach.

It sounds like you had the opportunity to experience the best of what we have to offer here. The pool, Food and Beverage and the service we deliver are always our priority. We receive great reviews about our showers and beds from our guests especially about the six shower heads, rain head and hand held shower head we like to think all our guests love our showers (especially since they fit two very comfy). It seems as if we hit the mark with you!

Also thank you for your comments about the room and the what needed maintenance we sent our engineering department directly to the suite this morning to make repairs immediately.

We'll look forward to having you back soon!

Many Thanks,

Frank Fuentes

Write a ReviewReviews (1,998)

Reviewed September 26, 2012

From stepping out of the cab to getting back in the cab to go back to the airport was a wonderful experience. The staff was super friendly and helpful Mickey lead us to great shopping. The GM us there welcoming us the front desk was super to help us out with every including a late check out. The room was 226 it was clean and just beautiful. I will return to this wonderful hotel. They made our 4 day stay a perfect time .....

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Kelly F

Dear Kelly

You guys were an absolute pleasure to have with us! We appreciate the kind words, as you mentioned from our leader (GM) to our guest service agents everyone takes great pride in our guest interaction I am incredibly fortunate to work with this world class group of people.

Guests such as yourself are the sole reason that we all have such a passion for hospitality.
Brace yourself! We always out do ourselves the second time around... this is a promise....

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We spent three nights here whilst on holiday in Florida. Great for a romantic break.
The service was great from the moment we stepped out of the taxi until the moment we left, including porter, front desk, concierge, room service and housekeeping.
We were allocated room 408 which was a penthouse suite that included a separate upper level where there is a large balcony area, hot tub, loungers, table and chairs, fridge ans sink. It is well worth upgrading to these.
We got room service, a little pricey but the food was lovely.
Location is fab, right opposite the beach and close to the bars, restaurants, shops etc.

The living area is not that big so I would not like to stay here for a long duration as there is not a lot of space for suitcases but that was my only negative observation.

I would gladly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Penthouse is worth the upgrade.
2  Thank TRACKIEMC
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for appreciation of the hotel! We are thrilled to know that you were not only pleased with the service that you received from the hotel staff, but also with the hotel overall. We pride ourselves on being a service leader here in the South Beach area and take great pride to read your wonderful comments and hearing positive remarks from guests such as yourself on the design of the building, as well as the amenities, is truly great for us. Please stop in and see us again on your next visit to South Beach.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Amazing hotel, great facilities, reception and concierge available and attentive to customer requirements. Try the terrace, with views over south beach. Catering and unforgettable breakfast. Bose stereo system, Jacuzzi in marble and flat tv 42 inches. The only problem is the weather, it rained for three days, but this is not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ami s

Dear Ami,

We are so happy you were satisfied with all of the amenities that were a part of your stay! It is wonderful to hear from guests that have noticed and appreciated the quality and craftsmanship that is put into the hotel as well as the staff. We appreciate your input and hope to make your stay with us next time even more special. Next time we will work on the weather so it will be just as perfect as your stay.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I want to thank the staff of the hotel for making my birthday weekend a great one. When we arrived at the hotel I was happy that it actually is nicer than in pictures (we all know that's not the norm). It's a smaller hotel with large rooms and close to everything. The front desk staff was always friendly and happy to help. Our room was on what the hotel calls the penthouse level, and from what i can tell this means you have a 2 level room with a huge rooftop area that includes a hot tub and lounging area. It's great for laying out and having cocktails while watching the sunset. We arrived friday around 6 and immediately got ready for dinner and headed out. When i got back to the hotel, there was a hand written note from the hotel and a bottle of wine thanking me for spending my birthday weekend with them. WHAT??!!! really??!! That's a first for me. While I am IHG platinum this was above and beyond. Will be returning soon I hope.

Room Tip: Rooms on the penthouse level are worth it!!
1  Thank mbhou
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Platinum Member,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach we know as a Priority Club member you have the entire world to choose from when it comes to where to stay.

We appreciate your feedback and your nice words about our hotel and our staff and the Birthday Surprise (I hope you liked the vintage).

We are glad to hear that our staff was attentive and prompt for any request you had during your stay. Our staff takes great pride in fast responses and the fact we knew it was your birthday and we surprised you that's what makes our jobs fun...

We truly hope you will be visiting us again soon and if you would like any assistance booking your next trip please let us know. Once again thank you for being an IHG Priority Club member.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a hotel in Miami Beach that didn't cost an arm and a leg and they kept your car in the "Valet Lot",this was the place. Yes, Valet was $32 a night, but others charged $35-36 a night. There is a resort fee, but you get chairs on the beach and towels. The concierge Mickey was very helpful and my birthday wonderful. This hotle is right at the end of Collins steps from the beach. Our room had a small frig and microwave as well as a whirlpool on the patio.

Dear Stingray

Thank you for your recent review of the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. Very happy to read of your recent experience and how much you enjoyed the accommodations, the proximity of the hotel to everywhere and the service provided to you by our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Z soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a hotel that appears to be in denial that it is a Crowne Plaza. When we arrived at the airport and asked the taxi driver to take us to the Crowne Plaza "Zed" Ocean on South Beach he had no idea where it was, which worried us, but when we got there by giving him the address we understood why. There is no CP branding anywhere outside the hotel, nor inside. Might have also helped if I said "Zee" Ocean but I was just off the plane and not yet switched into American English!

Good points:
- They recognised our PCR status. As PC platinums we were upgraded from the booked Rooftop Terrace to a Penthouse Suite, probably the same size but located higher up. Also got comp wifi.
- The suite was quite nice, good shower in the bathroom and two separate sink areas.
- The private outside space with the balcony, and rooftop terrace, was very large.
- Most of the staff encountered were very pleasant. The concierge, Mickey, is ever-present in the lobby and seemed genuinely helpful and enthusiastic.

Not so good points
- The room was nowhere near as big as the pictures on their website make out. We had two large bags, there was nowhere to stow them out of sight.
- They provide a 'kitchenette' area with a sink, microwave, breakfast bar but no fridge. Just a chiller that isn't very cold. Why don't they give you a fridge? It creates the impression that they're trying to save a couple of cents a day on electricity, and with the necessity to run the a/c pretty much 24/7 it's a bit silly.
- The TV setup was not that easy to use, I'm an AV hobbyist and getting the system to work wasn't obvious, on one TV you had to switch the separate Bose amplifier on to get sound. The channel selection was lousy (we moved on to the Intercontinental four miles away which had a superb channel choice, so they are available in Miami.) The TVs are so close together you couldn't watch his and hers channels at the same time.
- The rooftop terrace was very tired and in generally poor condition. Many of the marble (or marble effect) tiles were cracked, or broken with large sections missing that had not been repaired or replaced, and it didn't look good. The advertised sound system with ipod dock was non-existent. The electrically operated awning worked rather sporadically probably because most of the formerly weatherproof electrical switches had lost their covers. In my opinion the rooftop facilties need urgent investment. Nonetheless it was a novelty.
- It was so hot and humid you had to have the a/c on all night and it was very loud. Major drawback in my opinion.
- They advertise the Fitness Centre as being limited and that's an understatement. 2 runners and 2 cross-trainers. However they might as well not bother with them, it's open to the outside air and thus not air-conditioned. I went at 7.00AM on my first morning, it was already over 80 degrees with very high humidity, I lasted 10 minutes before having to give up. This is not a usable facility it should be done properly or not at all in my opinion.
-I used the pool one afternoon and had it to myself, very pleasant. With 3 or 4 others in it would not be possible to swim though.

Other comments
The on site restaurant, The Front Porch Cafe (and possibly the bar too) is rather surprisingly a separately owned and operated concession. It's OK but nothing to get excited about and not up to the standard of most Crowne Plazas in the UK. The bar scene was largely quiet and the bar often not staffed from a relatively early time in the evening.

The beach is not the claimed couple of steps away but close enough and very nice. The 'resort fee' to use the beach facilities that are operated by a third-party company called Boucher Brothers is mandatory everyday whether or not you use the facilities, not so great of its a stormy day and I wonder why they don't charge it on a per-use basis? There is a veiled implication that it is a private area, it isn't, anyone can bowl up and stick their own lounger in the area, and they do. We were also told that once set-up our loungers were ours all day until 6.00PM and we could come and go as we pleased and they make a note of the number on each lounger against your name when they set-up for you. That was nonsense, everyday when we went back later after leaving our loungers had been occupied by other people.

As far as the area goes, we found the shopping in Lincoln Road unexciting, the restaurants similarly so. Close on 50% of the restaurants on Lincoln Road were serving Italian. Go figure that! Everywhere we ate in the SOBE area was expensive and mediocre and I spent a lot of time researching where to go. An 18% service charge is automatically added everywhere which is perhaps why they generally don't try too hard? On our last night there we got a taxi to Hakkasan in the Fontainbleu hotel four or five miles away. Superb but stonkingly expensive.

If you are buying groceries or alcohol for your room watch out for 'Endless Summer' across the road from the hotel's Ocean Drive entrance. The guy behind the counter is always on the phone whilst serving, rings the prices up on the till apparently from memory, you don't get a till receipt and only get a credit card receipt if you ask, and then he looks annoyed. I suggest walk out the Collins entrance, turn right towards Lincoln Road and there is a grocery store called Walgreens. Much bigger selection, itemised bill and half the price funnily enough!

1  Thank Keith-in-Brighton-UK

Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for your authentic review of your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to hear about the consistent, gracious and attentive service you received during your visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach.

Even though, there were a couple of issues (your first penthouse room not meeting your standards ), it was wonderful to see that these were dealt with urgency, care and attentiveness by our staff. Very sorry these inconveniences did occur during your stay. Our engineering team is diligently working to rectify the situations in both rooftops and guest suites to ensure that the guest satisfaction is our main priority.

As for your apparently poor impression of South Beach restaurants I am sorry we don't have the large array of fish and chip and Indian restaurants that the UK has but we consider that South Beach has a large selection of international dining experiences and also compared to any metropolitan city prices are competitive.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to South Beach and providing you a new and improved Z Ocean experience on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your visit further, you can reach me at frank.fuentes@ihg.com .

Take Care,