“Amazing hotel”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #14 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Amazing hotel, great facilities, reception and concierge available and attentive to customer requirements. Try the terrace, with views over south beach. Catering and unforgettable breakfast. Bose stereo system, Jacuzzi in marble and flat tv 42 inches. The only problem is the weather, it rained for three days, but this is not the hotel's fault.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ami s
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear Ami,

We are so happy you were satisfied with all of the amenities that were a part of your stay! It is wonderful to hear from guests that have noticed and appreciated the quality and craftsmanship that is put into the hotel as well as the staff. We appreciate your input and hope to make your stay with us next time even more special. Next time we will work on the weather so it will be just as perfect as your stay.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

I want to thank the staff of the hotel for making my birthday weekend a great one. When we arrived at the hotel I was happy that it actually is nicer than in pictures (we all know that's not the norm). It's a smaller hotel with large rooms and close to everything. The front desk staff was always friendly and happy to help. Our room was on what the hotel calls the penthouse level, and from what i can tell this means you have a 2 level room with a huge rooftop area that includes a hot tub and lounging area. It's great for laying out and having cocktails while watching the sunset. We arrived friday around 6 and immediately got ready for dinner and headed out. When i got back to the hotel, there was a hand written note from the hotel and a bottle of wine thanking me for spending my birthday weekend with them. WHAT??!!! really??!! That's a first for me. While I am IHG platinum this was above and beyond. Will be returning soon I hope.

Room Tip: Rooms on the penthouse level are worth it!!
1  Thank mbhou
Zoceansales, Director of Sales at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Platinum Member,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay at the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach we know as a Priority Club member you have the entire world to choose from when it comes to where to stay.

We appreciate your feedback and your nice words about our hotel and our staff and the Birthday Surprise (I hope you liked the vintage).

We are glad to hear that our staff was attentive and prompt for any request you had during your stay. Our staff takes great pride in fast responses and the fact we knew it was your birthday and we surprised you that's what makes our jobs fun...

We truly hope you will be visiting us again soon and if you would like any assistance booking your next trip please let us know. Once again thank you for being an IHG Priority Club member.

Kind regards,

Reviewed September 22, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a hotel in Miami Beach that didn't cost an arm and a leg and they kept your car in the "Valet Lot",this was the place. Yes, Valet was $32 a night, but others charged $35-36 a night. There is a resort fee, but you get chairs on the beach and towels. The concierge Mickey was very helpful and my birthday wonderful. This hotle is right at the end of Collins steps from the beach. Our room had a small frig and microwave as well as a whirlpool on the patio.

Dear Stingray

Thank you for your recent review of the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. Very happy to read of your recent experience and how much you enjoyed the accommodations, the proximity of the hotel to everywhere and the service provided to you by our staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back at the Z soon.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is a hotel that appears to be in denial that it is a Crowne Plaza. When we arrived at the airport and asked the taxi driver to take us to the Crowne Plaza "Zed" Ocean on South Beach he had no idea where it was, which worried us, but when we got there by giving him the address we understood why. There is no CP branding anywhere outside the hotel, nor inside. Might have also helped if I said "Zee" Ocean but I was just off the plane and not yet switched into American English!

Good points:
- They recognised our PCR status. As PC platinums we were upgraded from the booked Rooftop Terrace to a Penthouse Suite, probably the same size but located higher up. Also got comp wifi.
- The suite was quite nice, good shower in the bathroom and two separate sink areas.
- The private outside space with the balcony, and rooftop terrace, was very large.
- Most of the staff encountered were very pleasant. The concierge, Mickey, is ever-present in the lobby and seemed genuinely helpful and enthusiastic.

Not so good points
- The room was nowhere near as big as the pictures on their website make out. We had two large bags, there was nowhere to stow them out of sight.
- They provide a 'kitchenette' area with a sink, microwave, breakfast bar but no fridge. Just a chiller that isn't very cold. Why don't they give you a fridge? It creates the impression that they're trying to save a couple of cents a day on electricity, and with the necessity to run the a/c pretty much 24/7 it's a bit silly.
- The TV setup was not that easy to use, I'm an AV hobbyist and getting the system to work wasn't obvious, on one TV you had to switch the separate Bose amplifier on to get sound. The channel selection was lousy (we moved on to the Intercontinental four miles away which had a superb channel choice, so they are available in Miami.) The TVs are so close together you couldn't watch his and hers channels at the same time.
- The rooftop terrace was very tired and in generally poor condition. Many of the marble (or marble effect) tiles were cracked, or broken with large sections missing that had not been repaired or replaced, and it didn't look good. The advertised sound system with ipod dock was non-existent. The electrically operated awning worked rather sporadically probably because most of the formerly weatherproof electrical switches had lost their covers. In my opinion the rooftop facilties need urgent investment. Nonetheless it was a novelty.
- It was so hot and humid you had to have the a/c on all night and it was very loud. Major drawback in my opinion.
- They advertise the Fitness Centre as being limited and that's an understatement. 2 runners and 2 cross-trainers. However they might as well not bother with them, it's open to the outside air and thus not air-conditioned. I went at 7.00AM on my first morning, it was already over 80 degrees with very high humidity, I lasted 10 minutes before having to give up. This is not a usable facility it should be done properly or not at all in my opinion.
-I used the pool one afternoon and had it to myself, very pleasant. With 3 or 4 others in it would not be possible to swim though.

Other comments
The on site restaurant, The Front Porch Cafe (and possibly the bar too) is rather surprisingly a separately owned and operated concession. It's OK but nothing to get excited about and not up to the standard of most Crowne Plazas in the UK. The bar scene was largely quiet and the bar often not staffed from a relatively early time in the evening.

The beach is not the claimed couple of steps away but close enough and very nice. The 'resort fee' to use the beach facilities that are operated by a third-party company called Boucher Brothers is mandatory everyday whether or not you use the facilities, not so great of its a stormy day and I wonder why they don't charge it on a per-use basis? There is a veiled implication that it is a private area, it isn't, anyone can bowl up and stick their own lounger in the area, and they do. We were also told that once set-up our loungers were ours all day until 6.00PM and we could come and go as we pleased and they make a note of the number on each lounger against your name when they set-up for you. That was nonsense, everyday when we went back later after leaving our loungers had been occupied by other people.

As far as the area goes, we found the shopping in Lincoln Road unexciting, the restaurants similarly so. Close on 50% of the restaurants on Lincoln Road were serving Italian. Go figure that! Everywhere we ate in the SOBE area was expensive and mediocre and I spent a lot of time researching where to go. An 18% service charge is automatically added everywhere which is perhaps why they generally don't try too hard? On our last night there we got a taxi to Hakkasan in the Fontainbleu hotel four or five miles away. Superb but stonkingly expensive.

If you are buying groceries or alcohol for your room watch out for 'Endless Summer' across the road from the hotel's Ocean Drive entrance. The guy behind the counter is always on the phone whilst serving, rings the prices up on the till apparently from memory, you don't get a till receipt and only get a credit card receipt if you ask, and then he looks annoyed. I suggest walk out the Collins entrance, turn right towards Lincoln Road and there is a grocery store called Walgreens. Much bigger selection, itemised bill and half the price funnily enough!

1  Thank Keith-in-Brighton-UK

Dear Value Guest,

Even though, there were a couple of issues (your first penthouse room not meeting your standards ), it was wonderful to see that these were dealt with urgency, care and attentiveness by our staff. Very sorry these inconveniences did occur during your stay. Our engineering team is diligently working to rectify the situations in both rooftops and guest suites to ensure that the guest satisfaction is our main priority.

As for your apparently poor impression of South Beach restaurants I am sorry we don't have the large array of fish and chip and Indian restaurants that the UK has but we consider that South Beach has a large selection of international dining experiences and also compared to any metropolitan city prices are competitive.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to South Beach and providing you a new and improved Z Ocean experience on your next visit. Please feel free to contact me directly if you would like to discuss your visit further, you can reach me at frank.fuentes@ihg.com .

Take Care,

Director of Sales

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I arrived at the hotel on Thursday September 13th at approximately 3pm. I attempted to check-in the hotel. I explained to the desk clerk that my sister had missed her plane and was now scheduled to arrive several hours after me. I asked if I could check in and take my bags upstairs. The desk clerk told me no. I mentioned to her that my name was on the reservation. She checked again and told me yes you may check in, but I had to provide her w/ a credit card. I didn’t have a credit card but offered my debit card and was instructed that a huge hold would be placed on my card, not to be released until a few days. Therefore, I opted not to do that.

I then asked if they could just hold my bag, as I had other friends who I could hang w/ until the rest of my party arrived. The hotel agreed and tagged my bag and gave me the ticket to retrieve my bag later. Approximately 3 hours later I came to give my bag, turned in my ticket and after about 20-30mins I was told that they were looking for my bag but they were certain that it was in the hotel. Then after another 20 or so I was told they couldn’t find the bag and was watching tapes to see if they could find out what exactly happened to my bag.

I waited for another hour or more before I was told that my bag was given away by mistake to guest who checked out of the hotel on their way to the airport, possibly traveling to Brussels. I immediately became distraught. I will say the hotel staff was very apologetic except for a Ms. Vanessa, Front Desk Agent. She was the one that I actually gave my bag to upon leaving w/ the hotel.

A front desk supervisor told me that she knew that I had probably planned to hang out that evening and that I should go out and pick up some things to get me through the night in hopes of having my bag found and returned the following day. She indicated that I should make the purchase myself and that the hotel would reimburse me in cash. She instructed me to go to the Lincoln Rd. Strip mall b/c they had several stores there. So I went to Macy’s b/c there I felt I could get many things that I needed from one location. My friends and I arrived at Macy’s approximately 6-7mins prior to closing. We ran in and all went separate ways to try and maximize our time. One friend was looking for undergarments, another pair of shoes, and another looked for clothes. We had no time to bargain shop, or try on anything. All of the registers were closed except one that stayed open only to help me.

After leaving Macy’s we stopped at a drug store and picked up a few things there as well. My total purchases at both the drug store and Macy’s was approximately $500 dollars. When I returned to the hotel w/ my items and receipt, I was told that I would not be reimbursed beyond $150. I then burst into tears. This night had just become worst!!! My friends felt extremely sorry for me and a few of them began showing their displeasure by confronting the hotel staff. The staff then threatened to have my friends removed from the hotel by force.

The front office manager was called and I spoke w/ him over the phone. He questioned my integrity and suggested that I purchased 4 pair of jeans, which was a lie. I then felt obligated to show Catherine what I had bought. I pulled out the 2 outfits, underwear, bra, and incidentals from the drug store. I was humiliated. Here I am the victim and was being treated like a criminal who had done something wrong. After many tears and discussion, they hotel finally agreed to give me the money I had spent. They told me that the next day the GM would be at the hotel and I would be able to speak w/ him. However, that was not the case. He didn’t take time to ever visit me. It wasn’t until Saturday evening that he even bothered to call me. This story has so many turns and events that occurred. Anything that could have gone wrong did. According to the taxi cab driver, his car broke down and another taxi was flagged down on the road, and my luggage was then put into another unknown taxi cab.

So far I have called several people and places trying to find my luggage. I called the airports, customs, and several taxi cab drivers, Miami’s regulatory agencies for both taxi services and hotel services. I have even been in contact w/ an attorney. Personally I do not think that the hotel or Crown Plaza have done or are currently doing enough to resolve. I found the GM, Ramon Antelo unapologetic and irritated by the fact that I was so irritated and unhappy. I felt like he felt that the solutions that he offered I should just take them and be satisfied b/c he told me that if the airlines lost my luggage they would do nothing and at least he was trying to help. I was appalled by the sentiment. I was the victim! In the spirit of full disclosure, the hotel did offer to dry clean the clothes on my back, they said they would come and pick them up from my room but never did. I ended up bringing them down to the front desk about about 11:30ish, they did not return my clothes until 5:30ish and that is after I called and complained about them. The gave me a free breakfast voucher, however, I had to pay for my own soft drinks. At first they only comped my room for the 1st night, but couldnt do any more than that until they got word from the GM who took his precious time contacting me. I was told orginally that they would comp my entire stay but they would have to include that as apart of the total claim therefore I declined b/c I was sharing the cost of the room with my friends. Finally on Saturday evening I was told that the room was being comped anyway, which again meant nothing to me b/c I didnt want it to become apart of my claim.

All in all the experience was AWFUL!!!!!! & Needless to say I would never stay there again.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
9  Thank TiffanyW147
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear TiffanyW147,

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We went for our honeymoon to Miami and stayed in Z hotel for four days at a penthouse suite. Even though it is indeed a nice hotel, for the price we paid we expected and should have been provided much more!!!
The hotel is conveniently located in Collins Avenue and has access by the Ocean Dr. It is also very close to the Lincoln Road which in my opinion is the only worthy place to go to while in South beach. The staff is very helpful and polite and the room is relatively clean (not spotless!!!). Rooms are ample sized but furnitures should have been better placed. There are two bathrooms in the room which is really nice and the shower is excellent. It has nice balcony and stairs take you to the rooftop where you can enjoy your jacuzzi.

Nevertheless, the pool of the hotel is located on the second floor and neither its size and depth nor its condition justify the daily rate. The pool is really small and is only 1.2m deep. There is a minibar by the pool which is below expectations even though the bar tender was really polite and helpful. The bar/lounge area located beside the reception desk was closed one time we wanted to have a drink and in not very good condition (but maybe it was due to not being high season, we visited Miami from the 7th to the 11th of September). Parking costs 32$/day but this is a general problem in miami. There is no sea view as another hotel has been constructed between Z and the beach and the only view you get is that of a busy road! Adding to the above that Miami beach is not something special and that the air is smelly due to humidity...to spicy foods....do not know!!!???, I would not return to Miami nor stay again in Z hotel (not at this price)!

In general, Z is a nice hotel but too expensive for what it offers. Zero value for money. It could get a 5 star critique if it was much cheaper but at this price (over 300$/day, breakfast NOT included), we can only rate it with a 3and that is mostly for the helpful personnel and the great bathrooms!

1  Thank Nota K

Dear Value Guest,

Thank you for your authentic review of your recent stay with us. It is wonderful to hear about the consistent, gracious and attentive service you received during your visit to the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. The other is we want to congratulate you on your wedding.

Even though, there were a couple of issues you seemed overall satisfied with the hotel and its location,

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon and we hope you and your wife many years of happiness and joy.

Take Care,

Reviewed September 16, 2012

Brilliantly appointed bathrooms, better than you'd expect to find in such a hotel, and among the cleanest you'll ever find.
Excellent service from all staff. One of the best locations, handy to everything. Slept like I was on a cloud. Bench area a little bit small, but the excellent bathroom more than makes up for it.
Reception staff very cheerful and very helpful.

Thoroughly recommend this hotel.
I'll be staying here again.

Room Tip: Mickey the concierge. He knows everything there is to know about anything you'll want to do or...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Charlene M

Dear Charlene

Thank you for your recent review of the Z Ocean Hotel South Beach. Very happy to read of your recent experience and how much you enjoyed the accommodations, the proximity of the hotel and the service provided to you (especially by Mickey). We are glad that in the heart of everything on South Beach you still slept on a cloud. As a seasoned traveler we take great pride to hear your kind words about our hotel. We hope to see you back at the Z soon.