“Beautiful hotel, rigid rules and staff.”

Z Ocean Hotel South Beach
Ranked #13 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and found the hotel itself beautiful. But all the rules and rigidity were enough to leave a sour taste in your mouth. Even before we arrived we asked "can we upgrade to a spa room, we are willing to pay the difference", we heard "sorry, reservation changes are against our policy." On the day we departed we asked to check out a little later, they granted us an extra 30 minutes! We checked out on time and thought we would kill some time at the pool. We were not allowed!!! Pretty hotel, nice bathroom and lovely balcony, but far from a home away from home! Geez, we are travelling with a toddler! The least you can do, after accidently coming into our room twice, because you forgot that you had already assigned it, is allow us to use the pool for an hour or two!!!

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank akiliakwe
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2011

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing The Z Ocean Hotel and for sharing your experience with us. I truly appreciate your insight and how you precisely described some of our areas for improvement.

I place a great importance on taking care of our guests’ experience, and efforts are currently underway to train our team to improve their response to our guests’ needs. We are also making some changes to address some of the specific issues that you have mentioned.

It is regrettable that you felt that you received less than stellar service from our front office team. I place a great importance on taking care of our guests’ needs, and efforts are currently underway to train our team to improve their response to our guests’ needs. It is our goal to make our guests feel at home while they are here, and I am deeply sorry that we did not accomplish this for you and your family.

We hope that if your travel plans bring you back to the Miami area that you will consider staying with us again at the Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally ensure that your next visit is more pleasurable. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I may be of any assistance to you.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed August 4, 2011

This hotel is wonderful. The location is fantastic and the facilities amazing. We had a spa suite which included a private spa on your balcony overlooking Ocean Ave. They fill it for you with half an hours notice and provide beautiful Aveda products to enhance the experience. The pool is glass bottomed and provides an interesting experience when you walk through the lobby underneath. I think complaints on the pool size and location mentioned in some other reviews totally unfounded. Although they call it beach front, it is not. Only a short 150m walk away though.
There are two TV's and the most amazing multi-head shower in each room. The beach service is also great.
My only criticisms are the kitchenette which is really not. It has two coolers that do nothing. They are not coolers at all. We put cans of Pepsi in one that came out after 24 hours warmer than the room temperature. There are also no utensils or plates etc which we thought they would include, although the restaurant were happy to provide these.
The staff were mostly great, Cesar at the front desk in particularly was very helpful and provided us with some great inside info - ie that many Miami resturants include the tip in their bill so you don't pay it twice! He also gave us some great tourist info on our arrival and information on the loyalty club. We did however request help on some gyms in the area to one of the female front desk staff who promised to get back to us but never did which was disappointing. There was also some disputation with her relating to the fees that were and were not payable as a result of joining the loyalty club which is something I strongly recommend you do. Not only do you not have to pay for internet but if you join before you come you do not have to pay resort fees (although this was a point of contention as we were told if we join even after we arrive we did not have to pay these fees but ultimately they were charged to us).
Yes there are extra fees and taxes payable at this hotel but they were a lot less than the taxes we paid when in NY. They are also well advertised on their site and the major booking sites so unless you dont bother to read these details when you make the booking (then you are just simply stupid) you can't complain. Some reviews that whinged about these fees nearly put me off making this booking so please don't be influenced by that.
A great hotel, fabulous value and we would go again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Uberstar28

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this kind review of the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach. We greatly appreciate your feedback and will use it to assist in our goal of constantly improving. Thank you for your kind words for Cesar and the staff at the hotel, I have shared your compliments to the team, they are happy to hear that your stay was most enjoyable.

We hope to see you back soon, if your travel plans bring you back to the Miami area you will consider staying with us again at the Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally ensure your next stay is pleasurable. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I can assist you in any way.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I had two rooms for myself and one of my VP's during a conference that was held in late July, and we stayed for a week. Our rooms were the penthouses with the spiral staircases and the private deck with hot tub, table and chairs, roof awning (if the sun is too much for you!) and two-person lounger. The rooms were very well appointed (including a very nice bar area with wine and cocktail glasses), very well maintained and well kept by the housekeeping staff. As this is a relatively small, boutique property, daily service was fast and as early as we were. With Collins Avenue on one side and Ocean Drive on the other, you are a short walk to an abundance of great restaurants and bars. One note of caution: the place is very "lively" and full of urban patrons ready for some partying on weekends. They were not noisy, but the place is pretty much a hip-hop paradise until the calm of Monday afternoon brings calm to the hotel. If being part of a wild urban crowd isn't your thing... visit on weekdays! All in all, I thought the place was fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for the best oceanview rooms available, and ask for the penthouses that face south (overlooking...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank ufbill

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this great review f the Z Ocean Hotel in South Beach. We appreciate your feedback as it helps us to constantly improve. I have passed your compliments on to our housekeeping and hotel staff. They work diligently to ensure you and your guests have a memorable stay with us.

Should your travel plans bring you back to South Beach again; we hope you would consider the Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally ensure your next stay is even more enjoyable. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I may be of any assistance.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Pros:
Personal (clean!) jacuzzi and enormous balcony
Spa shower
A bed I never wanted to leave. So comfy!
Friendly staff
Yummy room service

Cons:
You need a room key to access the elevator. Very annoying and tricky to use.

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Kayellejaye
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2011

Dear Valued guest:

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. We are delighted to hear you had a superb experience at our property and that you enjoyed our facilities. We are fortunate to have such great accommodations and committed to offer excellent service. Thank you for your kind words for our team.

On your next visit to South Beach, I hope that you would consider staying with us again. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed July 27, 2011

I've stayed at the Z Ocean for combined trip of doing business and taking some time out on Miami Beach. We've booked a king rooftop suite, and I've to say both my spouse and me were more than happy. The kind of happy that makes us make sure that as many business trips as possible in the future involve a stop in Miami, staying at the Z Ocean ;)

The king rooftop suite with the private jacuzzi is simply great. There is nothing that beats sitting in your own jacuzzi in the night, watching the stars and the ocean. You should not miss this. But also the regular rooms appear to be pretty nice, and the balconies to the pool are great, too.

We've been pleased in pretty much every way. The room was clean, spacious and well designed. Very good sound system, including the bath room. Cable TV wasn't optimal - incorrect aspect ratio configured and those things. I don't think charging for WLAN access is something Hotels should still do in 2011.

Service has been very attentive in every regard. When we arrived in our room, the button for the out-door "do not disturb sign" (good feature) was broken, and the complimentary coffee machine didn't work right. We reported this at the front desk, got invited to a drink, and both issues were fixed within less than 2 hours. Perfect.

The hotel partners with the Front Porch Cafe located in the same building, which has good reviews both in lonely planet and here on trip advisor and rightly so. Food is very good. On Saturday and Sundays they offer brunch, and it appears that pretty much half of Miami Beach is going there - it's crowded as hell, and you will have a hard time getting a table for breakfast as a hotel guest. Priority waiting list to be seated for hotel guests might be something to consider.

Right across the street of the hotel the beach starts. There is tons of action of every kind around the Hotel. Shopping, sight-seeing, people-watching - perfect.

The glas bottom pool is a nice feature, but face it: This is miami beach. You don't need a pool.

Between the hotel and the front porch cafe there is a "breezeway", which contains a nice loungy bar and lots of seatings. It was unclear to us why this really nice location appears to be completely ignored in night-life, it was completely empty while the streets and bars on ocean drive where crowded with people on the weekend. A good house DJ might help.

All in all: This has been one of the, if not the very best experiences I had in a Hotel in the US. I plan to return as quickly as possible, hopefully within weeks.

Room Tip: Get a rooftop suite. Don't be disappointed that the
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Fischgericht
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2011

Dear Valued Guest:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Z Ocean Hotel and for the kind remarks you have generously written. I shared your kind comments with our staff, and they thrilled to hear that you were delighted with their service. I must thank you for taking the time and expanding on your experience with us. I truly appreciate your insight and how you precisely described some of our areas for improvement, It is certainly very helpful. We are also making some adjustments to address some of the specific issues that you have mentioned.

Warmest regards

Reviewed July 25, 2011

i just wanted to take the time out to say what a wonderful time we had!!! the staff is soooo nice and friendly!! the manager, mr garcia was very professional and sweet,,he personally brought us a bottle of champange!! we felt like rock stars! agian thanks to mr garcia, ceaser and sara and even the valet guys!! what service!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for sharing your kind comments from your recent stay with us. Our goal is to enhance your experience with a warm, personalized experience. I am happy to hear that your girlfriend’s get away weekend was a pleasant one.

I shared your kind comments with Sam Garcia our Front Office Manager, Caesar and Sara and of course the rest of the team and they are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I look forward to welcome you back at The Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally ensure that you have a great experience again. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I can be of service to you.

Reviewed July 23, 2011

The staff at the hotel were amazing. We were on our Honeymoon and they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a Spa Suite and a bottle of champagne with a card. They were so friendly - everyone from front desk to the bellmen.
The room was large with an over sized balcony including a Jacuzzi! The bed was so comfy and the shower had 4 smaller shower heads that massaged you while you showered!
The patio restaurant was very well priced for the area and had great food and great service.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
ZOceanSobe, General Manager at Z Ocean Hotel South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2011

Dear Valued Guest;

I am glad that you enjoyed your Honeymoon here at the Z Ocean Hotel, and am pleased that we have provided you with great memories. I am happy that you enjoyed the complimentary upgrade and bottle of champagne to help you celebrate. We appreciate you taking the time to write this kind review of our hotel. Your compliments of the Jacuzzi, luxurious showers, restaurant, and staff are very kind. We place a great importance on catering to our guests’ every need, and strive to go above and beyond.

We hope that if your travel plans bring you back to Miami Beach that you will consider staying with us again at the Z Ocean Hotel. I would like to personally assure you another great experience. Please do not hesitate to call me directly if I can be of any assistance to you on your next visit.

Warmest Regards,