“Good location”

Ranked #140 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
London
“Good location”
Reviewed June 17, 2010

We stayed in the 11th street side of the hotel in the 3rd block along from our balcony we could see the beach and Versace mansion. Rooms where nice and modern and lots of space there where 3 of us in one room we didn’t bother getting the sofa bed out as the bed was so big and comfy we all slept in it together although there where no sheets left out for the sofa bed so I suppose we didn’t have much choice. The bathroom was very nice loved the shower and there where always plenty of towels. The Kitchen was also very modern and well equipped but we always eat out. Didnt hear too much noise from outside but walls where very thin and could hear evrything in the room next door.

The location was very good walking distance to lots of bars and restaurants and there where a few shops behind the hotel and was a short walk to Lincoln Road mall.

The only down side was the resort fees you have to pay $12.50 per day for the use of the pool and beach chairs even though that only includes 2 chairs and there where 3 of us in the room so we still had to pay $10 for an extra chair.

Would come back for the location and the modern rooms.

1 Thank nicolamcdo
George_Vesa, General Manager at Suites at Congress Ocean Drive, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
Dear guest,

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our apologies for not informing you upon arrival that we do provide the sofa linens upon request. The resort fee does include 2 beach chairs and one umbrella and the vendor provides a discount for any additional. The regular price is $30 for one chair for the day. We hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Arabic first
Naples
Reviewed June 16, 2010

No complaints - good not ask for better at a reasonable price (especially being on Ocean Drive in South Beach). Very pleased with the fully equipped kitchen (including a dish washer). Experienced a couple of minor problems (dead coffee maker) which were handled quickly and courteously. Rooms a "tad" on the small size but perfect for a couple.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed June 14, 2010

First of all, I don't know how this hotel has earned 3.5 stars on other travel sites- if you plan on staying here, don't even bother checking in until the afternoon because they did not have our rooms ready. The rooms were so-so in terms of the design but looks can be deceiving. There was black mold in both the bathroom and bedroom areas by the vents and stains on the couch. Throughout our 4 day stay, we had to call up to 3 or 4 times per day in order to get towels for our room, which had 4 girls. When the maid came with the towels she only brought 2 more one day and said we "maybe" could get more. We ended up resorting to hoarding the beach towels which were also hardly ever restocked. For a hotel in Miami, right across from the beach, you'd think they would have ample beach towels. Furthermore, the employees of the hotel neglect to mention the resort fee includes free beach chairs/umbrellas (although only 2 chairs and 1 umbrella per room no matter how many people are there) We had paid for a full day's worth of chairs and umbrellas due to this lack of information and the hotel would only comp us for the resort fee ($15), not the $64 for the chairs/umbrellas we had already paid for. Our room was rarely cleaned before 3 or 4 in the afternoon and you could tell they did a minimal job of cleaning. One of the maids even ran over my friend's foot with her cart, hardly apologizing. For a hotel with "suites" I find it surprising they don't offer 2 double beds, but instead have one king sized bed which is hard as a rock, and a pull out couch which has a mattress as if it's from the 80s- you can probably feel every uncomfortable spring in that thing. The floor is probably more comfortable! The rooftop pool was a nice addition, but it was smaller than anticipated- the bartender was probably the nicest employee of the entire hotel. The shower did not have great pressure and the temperature gauge was so sensitive that you would basically get scalded if you didn't wait for water to run for 5 minutes. Probably the worst thing about this hotel besides the service, in my opinion, was the loudness of the location and how thin the walls were. Granted, I was in Miami for a bachelorette party, but when I come back at 2 or 3 am after a night of celebrating, you'd think there would be some peace and quiet- not the case. If you like fist pumping to house music all day/night then this hotel is perfect for you- I could feel the bass of the music as my head was pounding all night. Now I know why, as part of the mini bar, the hotel literally sells sleeping pills. While being across from the beach was nice, I did not appreciate the thumping of my hotel room all day/night.

2 Thank jod1014

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed June 14, 2010

For a smaller hotel this property offers a lot: great location right on Ocean Drive across the street from the beach, a rooftop pool and sundeck, a small fitness room, and very comfortable beds. They do charge a "resort fee" per day that covers most of this in addition to your room rate, though. Be aware as the resort fee doesn't show up on your bill until check-out. The location is great, but if you want quite make sure to ask for a room facing 11th Street. That's where my room was located and it was not as noisy as facing Ocean Drive or the next door property.

The recently-renovated room was quite spacious and modern, though I had a few issues. The shower curtain needed to be replaced when I first got to the room, and one set of window blinds was missing a cord. It took housekeeping a full day to come up with a new shower curtain, and while they were able to raise the blinds in my living room/kitchen area no new cord was installed so I was stuck with that blinds configuration. The bathroom sink had some draining issues too. However, the room was clean and large. The bathroom was fun and different in it's configuration.

The rooftop pool has a great view and lots of lounge chairs. Towels and fruit are provided for guests and there's a small bar up there on weekends. Someone needs to round up the used towels more often though, as there were many draped over chairs from previous users.

The staff was very friendly, and check-in and out was fast.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Myrtle Beach, SC
Reviewed June 14, 2010

The hotel is actually 3 different OLD hotels that are separated by narrow allies. Although the hotel housekeeping service tried very hard, it is difficult to cover up an aging building. The front desk staff for the most part acted as if they were doing us a tremendous favor whenever we asked a question or stopped by. The rooms are small but this is typical of South Beach. The pictures on the website are very misleading as our room overlooked a parking garage and the roof of one of the other buildings. If we opened a window and leaned out, we could see the beach. The rooftop pool is nice, but don't look for the cabanas in the pictures. Due to the narrow allies in between the hotels, my wife felt that security was a bit sketchy for a single woman. All in all, there are much better deals and much friendlier staff within just a couple of blocks (The Winterhaven Hotel).

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for your honest feedback. What you've stated is partly true, we do have 4 separate buildings out of which 3 are Art Deco landmarks and one other building which was built when the other 3 were being completely redone on the inside and re-touched on the outside. Due to our unique layout, the rooms setup and layout varies as well and the pictures on our website are showing examples of suites in each category.
We are disappointed you did not enjoy your stay with us and hope you give us another try.
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed June 9, 2010

I checked into the hotel Thursday June 3rd, first impression was great. The location was excellent and the welcome from the curb was on point and the friendly hello from Eloy the hotel manager was excellent. I truly believed that I would have a great time the minute I walked into the hotel. When I first walked into my room I couldn't believe how beautiful it was, but after about 2 minutes I became overwhelmed by the smell of mildew. I immediately notified the bellhop and he came back with a can of Airwick, not lysol or bleach..airwick. Not only that the carpets felt damp. I continued to spray the room with my own air freshener to try to mask the smell. I also requested more hangers for my closet. There were 4, I was there for three nights with my girlfriend 4 hangers and no dresser drawers were not going to cut it. We never received the hangers therefore our clothes were all over our room! The next day it began to rain very hard, we were obviously stuck in the room so we called downstairs for room service to bring up a menu and after numerous calls we never received a menu. I had to walk outside in the rain to the hotel next door. Then the window started to leak, we called front desk and Julio came up within ten minutes. He was unable to fix the leak with the towel he brought up so we were moved to another room. That room appeared to be nice but it smelled the exact same way. There was a plumbing issue that I tried to get addressed earlier in the day (Saturday) by speaking with George, another manager. He offered to lower my rate and stated he would have someone look at it. However, when I came back to my room after 8 pm the water was stopped up in the tub and in the sink and there was no house cleaning at all. At that point after I complained for about 15 minutes with the front end supervisor, Vanessa, they sent up Rafael who was able to take care of the problem. I almost forgot to mention the sofa bed. There is blood on the mattress and it was broken! When I got home I immediately Called Eloy as I was directed to do so by one of the staff members. That friendly supervisor turned into an obnoxious jerk within minutes of our conversation. His main question was “what do you want me to do Ms. Jackson??? Do you want to be compensated?? What do you want me to do???”. He then asked me to email him an outline of everything that happened so that he can address it with his staff. I emailed him immediately with no reply verbally or through email. I called the next day to see what was going on and he explained very loudly that this is a process and he is doing his best to follow up. I told him without a call or response I have no clue what he is doing. He then began to repeat that it was a process and we ended our call. Within one hour he called back to tell me my last night was reduced from $207 to $80. At the end of the day, it was not enough. Everyone told me to be careful of any hotel that wasn’t rated at least a 4 star in Miami. I argued that I have never had a bad experience with any other hotel I visited and I feel comfortable with my choice. But after this weekend I will never and I mean never go below a 4 star rating again. The strand ruined my ENTIRE Miami experience. Disgusting!!! Bottom line is the hotel needs their carpets cleaned and the room windows sealed. You also need to hire more staff, either you guys are short staffed or just dont care. I have never been so uncomfortable or felt so creeped out about walking on bare feet. FYI I have photos…

Reviewed June 7, 2010

From the time I made reservations to check out my family had nothing but problems with the hotel. First off we had 7 rooms and paid cash for 5 of them so I guess they didn't think we would say anything when they hit us with hidden fees. The other two rooms were paid for months ahead of time. I was told the resort fee was included because I booked directly with the hotel saying the fee only applies if you book from a third party. Then when I booked the other 5 rooms we were told we still had to pay the resort fee which comes out to 42.42 for each room. After I talked to a manger and she told us she would wave the fee, the front desk told us he didn't know anything about it so he charged it to the card on file anyway. I don't have a problem with paying for things I actually get. They tell you the fee is for 2 chairs but what they don't say is you can't check in until 4pm and the chairs are picked up at 5pm. When i asked for the 2 beach towels per room that I'm paying for I was told they didn't have anymore towels and would not have any for the rest of the day, That was at 4:30pm. I called and email the hotel to let them know some of us would arrive early weeks ahead of time, and when we got there the rooms weren't ready. I understand that rooms have to be clean but when you know some one is coming and it was confirmed I think they should have let me know that we couldn't check in until 4pm. They made us wait in the rain for 5 hours before they gave us a room because the lobby isn't big enough for people to sit and wait. They did up grade our room but the staff was very rude and don't know how to work with the public but the location of the hotel was nice and the rooms were ok. The TV in the rooms was maybe a 19 inch. They tried to charge 1 room $250 for smoking but the person that stayed in that room didn't even smoke and don't like to be around it. So if you want to be apart of a scam than this is the place for you. I would never recommend this hotel to any of my friends or family the front desk staff are horrible.

• Stayed June 2010