“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”

Miami Beach Golf Club
More attraction details
Owner description: Formerly the Bayshore Golf Course.
Miami, Florida
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Despite a plethora of golf courses in the greater Miami area, truly quality golf experiences are not in abundance. One of the courses worth the effort is Miami Beach Golf Club. Originally strictly private, it is now available to the general public with tee times available five days in advance, although the concierge in a good local hotel can usually get you a tee time up to 30 days in advance. Discounts are available. In order of increasing magnitude, they are for in-state, greater Miami and Miami Beach residents.
The course was designed by Arthur Hills and shares in common with his other designs a visual deceptiveness that can get you in trouble. Hazards almost always extend further toward the middle of the fairway than appears to be the case from the tee , as evidenced from the very first hole. Like many Nicklaus-designed courses, Miami Beach maneuvers you into approach positions that require you to hit into the narrow axis of the green and greenside bunkers are positioned to give the player great sand-to-sand opportunities. There is a large premium on being able to hit your approach shots precise distances. The course is very well maintained, perhaps the best of the public access courses in the city, particularly the greens which tend to play at about 11 on the Stimpmeter. The practice area is adequate but not generous, though there is a member practice area that is quite nice. The practice putting green is representative of the greens on the course. Caddies (including forecaddies) are not available so it is occasionally a slow round, though marshalls try to keep up the pace of play. Great holes include #1, 9, 16 and 17, but be cautious. Trouble lurks.

Visited March 2013

North Aurora, Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“flat course but great greens”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

this golf course is very flat but the greens were very nice and the holes still had some good challenge. in a scramble format, we were 8 under with a 35 and three 10-15 handicappers in the group.

Visited February 2013
Charleston, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“A nice course, but not a good value”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I've golfed all over the US - from the goat-track munis to the Pebble Beaches and Torrey Pines of the world. I have my own opinion of what kind of course deserves a $200 green fee - and Miami Beach Golf Club does not. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice course, especially for a municipal course. But as far as the service staff and the general feeling of the place, it might as well be an average daily fee golf course. My buddy rented clubs and bought a dozen balls too - his charges topped $300 - for a Wednesday morning! I understand it's Miami and high season, but this is ridiculous. And honestly, it's my own fault. Someone booked the tee time for us, and knowing it was a muni, I was expecting no more than $100. We were dropped off at the course, so we couldn't just up and leave. Even though you're in the heart of Miami Beach, there are no views to rave about. Just area commerical and residential buildings. The greens were nice, but very firm. Water comes into play on nearly every hole, so it is a fairly tough course. The lunch in the restaurant was pretty good (skimpy on the grilled chicken that was added to my Caesar salad). The chili con carne, actually, was freaking awesome. The lady behind the pro shop desk was a lot of fun - spunky and funny. All in all it was a good golfing experience, but WAY WAY WAY overpriced.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank jkarennj
Virginia Beach, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Nice course, but picky with the rules...”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

$240 per person. We rented clubs. No balls in the bag. Then they insisted I physically leave my CC at the Pro Shop, I guess fearing I wouldn't bring back the beat-up rentals. Then I got a receipt 3' long, that I had to carry all round to get my CC back. Then the starter took my receipt. I had to find him after my round. Kinda weak for a nice course...
Nachos were great in restaurant. Course was very good. Overally 4 stars, but policies were 2.

Portland, Oregon
“Quite a nice course right close to SB hotels”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

i was nicely surprised with this course. i didnt expect a lot with it being right in south beach. the tee boxes, fairways and greens were all firm and in great shape. its a fun track....some tough, long par 4s and a few risk/reward short par 4s. there was quite a bit of water, but not like so many courses in florida where water is on every hole. i'd play here again and again when visiting. we also played normandy shores which is also close. a decent track and worth playing but i liked miami beach quite a bit better.

Visited December 2012