My husband and I stayed at the Garden Hotel South Beach in February, a return trip after staying there in March of 2013. We were combining a stay in Miami with a business trip elsewhere in Florida, and unfortunately the boat show was in town during the only time we had to spend there and prices were sky-high. We paid $359 a night Feb. 14-16 and $199 on Feb. 17, the night the boat show left! The reasons we returned are the location, a couple of blocks from the beach and right in the middle of the deco district so we could walk to everything; the funky deco-ness of the small but clean and cheerful rooms; and the pool, lounging and breakfast area right on Washington Street. Also, during a normal, non-boat-show week, the price is under $200. That said, this property is undergoing massive renovation. It consists of 4 small buildings that operate as one hotel (it used to be the Wyndham until last year). Last March, we stayed at the building farthest to the north, while everything else was being worked on. We pretty much assumed construction would be done by now. Don't assume! It turns out that the owner is trying to persuade the historic district to let an additional floor be added to the back of a couple of the buildings; that approval has taken forever and in order to do it the foundations have to be shored up, one of the employees explained. The buildings are on the Deco District historic tour; the tour explains what's going on and goes inside the Coral Building, where (free) breakfast is served, and indeed it is made of coral. Last year the pool was open; this year it was closed and in the construction area. If a pool is critical, call ahead. But the beach is very close and the hotel provides towels and chairs. There are chaise longues and tables and chairs in the lounging area in front of the hotel, and we sat out there and read a couple of times. If you have a car, you can park it at a public garage about a block away for about $20 a night. It's my opinion that the hotel tries to isolate its guests from the construction, at least on the weekend; we weren't bothered by any noise. The employees are friendly and there are always free apples and oranges in the lobby. One caveat: They charged us over and above what we had agreed to through booking.com, accidentally charging us $359 instead of $199 for the final night. When I called about this the day after we left, they said they'd check on it and call me back, which they never did. I called a week later and they refunded the extra charge to my credit card, supposedly. All in all, this place is going to be awesome when and if it ever gets done, but then I probably won't be able to afford it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our boutique hotel in Miami Beach is designed as an oasis for travelers who desire an escape from the common hotel, yet still value traditional services and hospitality. With a fresh, innovative appearance, well-appointed rooms and a casually-sophisticated atmosphere, our South Beach hotel can transform your trip into a time of inspiration and renewal. Vacationers looking for lodging in South Beach can appreciate our hotel's ideal location within walking distance of the beach, the Bass Museum, beautiful Art Deco homes and Ocean Drive's many famous attractions. Upscale fashion boutiques are at your fingertips when you stay here, with the Lincoln Road Mall and Collins Avenue shopping district less than a mile from the hotel. Our Miami Beach accommodations also offer quick access to the Port of Miami, where cruise ships dock for boarding. For the very best in Miami Beach accommodations, choose the The Garden Hotel South Beach. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Expedia, Odigeo, Travelocity, Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Washington Park Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bel Aire South Beach Miami
- Bel Aire South Beach Hotel