“Slow service, disappointed in spa, but the rest was excellent.”
Review of The Setai

The Setai
Ranked #6 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Washington DC
“Slow service, disappointed in spa, but the rest was excellent.”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend at the Setai with my husband. Gorgeous property.

What we loved:

- Proximity to South Beach nightlife. Easy walk to W, Delano, etc. for nightlife.
- Oasis feel. So peaceful - unlike so many SoBe places. The pool area feels like another planet.
- Host at the restaurant. Went there for breakfast and he was incredibly attentive. Even though I arrived just as breakfast was closing he made me feel welcome and made sure I wasn't rushed.
- Q, the bartender. He rocks. And introduced us to a tasty new drink with a chili pepper in it.
- Our room. We were in the Art Deco main building. The condos looks terrific too, but we were perfectly happy in our place - large room, had all the amenities (robes, good wine in mini-bar, etc) that made us feel special.
- Beach. Great set-up,. By far the Setai's beach lounges were superior to the other hotel's set-ups! And they were great about adjusting the umbrellas, etc when we were settling in.
- Our room wasn't ready at check-in so while we waited for about 15 mins they kindly offered us free cocktails (which usually go for $18 each) at the bar. It was worth the wait for our room!

What we didn't love:
- The slow service everywhere except by the above-mention bartender and breakfast host.Was hard to track down servers at the pool and on the beach.
- Ordering a poolside beer took 10 mins to find the server and another 15 minutes (really) before it arrived. And it wasn't busy at all. The servers were very polite but then disappeared for way too long before arriving with the order. Slow service each time we were at the pool - a total of four orders. And once they messed up the order. I do have to say that as a result, the did give us complimentary beer and wine and they were very apologetic, but still, the delays were horrible.
- Food prices. Ridiculously pricy....but so is all of South Beach! The breakfast was amazing (I had an omelette) and dinner was very good.
- Spa - was smaller than I imagined it would be. While you are waiting for your treatment, you sit in the lobby where others are checking in for treatments. I had a bikini wax which I only noticed after I'd left was a bad job - I won't go into details but they were not thorough. And the woman who gave me my treatment had me wait with her while she replaced the sheets and cleaned up before walking me down for check-out, which seemed odd to me.

We will come here again but use a different spa at another hotel and hope to see faster service at the pool and on the beach.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank qwertyuiop19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
Dublin
Reviewed April 7, 2013

This is a wonderful hotel - quite understated by South Beach standards and a clientele that seems to avoid the worst excesses of South Beach. The standard of service was top rate. The restaurant staff were particularly helpful even at breakfast time which became very busy in the lead up to Easter. They always managed to get us a table almost instantly. And the food and selection were also excellent.
Our room was very sleek with good wi-fi and it was well equipped with a high standard of housekeeping.
Be aware that there is also a large apartment block attached to the hotel and the residents have the use of eth hotel facilities. We found that as Easter approached, the pool areas (which are lovely) became full quite early but that did not bother us as the hotel has ample sun loungres on its own area of the beach. It did affect the numbers at breakfast time!
The hotel has a very attractive courtyard area where a bar and food service is offered. It is a real oasis on South Beach. At various times, we dined in retaurants in the W, the SLS and the Fontainbleu and all of them were very noisy and overcrowded which made us really appreciate how lucky we were that we had chosen the Setai where the atmosphere and service level are both so much better!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Irishguest
Toronto
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We visit Miami every year and stay at a friends place very close to the Setai. The last few trips we always make a point to have dinner at the Setai's long bar (Inside, beside the restaurant). They serve great cocktails and the barmen (Phillip and Quentin) are friendly hosts who definitely know how to pour a drink. The ingredients are all first rate and my wife and I always enjoy exploring their various creations. The food is also very good and my wife who is Cantonese, loves the authentically prepared dishes. Bravo to the Setai and their great staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TTTraveller76
NY
Reviewed March 31, 2013

theres nothing this hotel can deliver. excellent staff, great rooms, unbelievable amenities and far more. the beach is right across the joggers path behind the hotel.
From the Management to the front desk staff to the dining staff and even the pool and beach attendants they're all so so nice and accommodating. this hotel is built to give everyone an ocean view.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank roberto66
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My wife and I have stayed here several times and every time we are impressed by how much we love staying here. From the Management to the front desk staff to the dining staff and even the pool and beach attendants they're all so so nice and accommodating and they seem to know your name and smile and say hello... ok i'm gushing but it's amazing. Start your day with a work out and walk on the beach then enjoy the breakfast buffet which was complimentary. The room's are a contemporary design and very comfortable but we spend most of our time at the beach or cycling around on the free bikes from the hotel. The Decobikes station in next to the hotel if the hotel bikes are taken.

Room Tip: In the hotel, the courtyard rooms are quieter and you don't hear the street, the rooms at the en...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bowiesalon A
ny
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This is a very confusing hotel to review. On the pros: the lobby is exquisite, the breakfast buffet (which is complimentary if you are an Amex member) is off the charts, food at the pool delicious, and the service of the staff is best in class. On the cons: the rooms were originally designed well but they are so run down. I'm trying to figure out if it's because they put us in the tower or if all rooms are approximately the same. The tables are literally scratched up and worn down, and the desk looks like something you might pick up on the street at a garage sale it's so old. And paint and tiles in the bathroom look like they VERY much need renewal. And the carpets look so worn down - vacuuming is certainly insufficient to make them look good again. Outside, the landscaping is serene and beautiful - the inside courtyard is a special place to get away from the hustle of South Beach. The pools are small but lovely and maintained at 3 separate temperatures - 75, 85, and 95. We were not given the right information when we booked - I was told by the front desk that all pools would be accessible to the kids and then when we arrived, only the warm pool was made available to them. And then all that said, I have never seen kinder staff in my life. So, as I said: a very mixed bag. In general a very good experience, but truthfully would not have expected the rundown room at this VERY premium pricing.

Room Tip: Better layouts in the tower for families, but I think the lower building is newer.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank citimomma
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed for a week. Had requested an ocean front junior suite thru my virtuoso travel agent. We arrived late in the evening and the first surprise was the bathtub in the bedroom at the foot of the bed, under the windows. I must be the only guest surprised by this since I have not seen it mentioned in any review. For me, I like my bathtub in the bathroom, call me traditional.
Because we were hungry, and it was already late to go out, we decided to go downstairs and have dinner in the restaurant. This turned out to be a mistake, we were the only ones there, but even though it was empty we were given a small table in a corner. After asking to be reseated we were given a 'booth' with pillows, etc., a much better choice to begin with.
The meal was not average, it was just poor in every possible way. We ate what we could and went to bed.
When I opened the shades the next morning I was looking forward to a nice view of the ocean, etc., well instead I could see a parking lot, trees, and if I stood on the window sill I could see a sliver of beach.
I called and requested to speak with the manager. He was very nice, unfortunately he could not move us to another room because they were full. He did comp us the dinner, sent us nice wine, a cheese and fruit plate, etc., to 'sweeten' our experience.
So moral of the story, I would not stay there again, but if I was running a hotel I would steal their manager.
On the positive side, nice pool(s), and some nice drinks by the pool.
Staying at the Ritz Carlton this year. Read my review of this property if interested.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor, maybe u can see the ocean.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple