“Excellent service. Food was good, not perfect.”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #559 of 1,139 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hispanola Avenue
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We had made a reservation for 5:30 pm and arrived at 5:15 due to reading some of the other reviews that had a long wait to be seated but we were seated at exactly 5:30 pm. Tony our waiter was very friendly. Scotty our chef was entertaining. Our food tasted good but the steamed rice was brought out just as Scotty started cooking our hibachi meals and was cold by the time our meal was cooked on the grill. I got the hibachi scallops and they were slightly overcooked and on the chewy side. The hibachi vegetables though were cooked perfectly. My daughter got the hibachi filet mignon and she was happy with it. My son got 2 California rolls and he liked them. The appetizer onion mushroom soup was seasoned well and tasty. The salad dressing tasted strong for ginger from what I'm used too. Tony the waiter was quick to refill our drinks. They have complimentary valet parking. I was hesitant to eat here from the bad reviews but we were very satisfied and happy overall.

Reviewed May 3, 2014

Right off the bat, let me say, we are west coasters and have eaten at a lot of great seafood restaurants from San Francisco to New York City - this is not one of them.

The Good things about this place:

- Nice decor and gardens.

- The sushi/sashimi apps were okay, but how hard is it to go wrong with that?

- Bartenders downstairs are awesome! We were really impressed with the two young men working there that evening - Jay and Chris - and the hilarious lady training them. They saved the evening for us, because unfortunately.....

The Bad things about this place:

For our main meal, we ordered the Ocean Treasure, which turned out to be something like you would get at the Krusty Krab, where Sponge Bob Squarepants cooks. I mean, it was plated so badly, it looked like it got dropped first, then thrown back on the plate.

The worst part of it was the lobster tail - it was so close to being ammoniated...it had that disgusting taste of frozen lobster that had not been frozen soon enough after being caught, then soaked in something to mask any smell. We know good lobster, and my friends - this was NOT good lobster.

There were about five pieces of squash on the plate and some onion, which was tasty, thank goodness.

The scallops were a little overcooked, but tasty - because of the sauce that had caramelized on them.

The highlight of the main meal was the onion soup, not because it was delicious. Quite the contrary - it was watery and it seemed like they ran out of real onions, so they used shredded paper towels instead. But it did help us get the taste of the lobster tail out of our mouths, so there's that....

All in all, it was a VERY disappointing meal food-wise, with someone trying to be a chef, but who should probably be slinging hash at a low-end diner, rather than trying to put out 5-star food. But as we said, the employees were fun and entertaining and very attentive - that's why we gave it a two instead of a one. We won't be back.

Tips: If after reading the reviews you are still determined to go, don't say we didn't warn you.....LOL! Get there early, maybe by 6:00, so that you'll not wait to park or eat. It's valet only, so be prepared to pay for that.

1  Thank JeannieTheCastigator
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

I took my 17 year old for dinner at Benihana today! We went straight from shopping as this was a girls day out an were excited about having a fun Benihana experience!! We got there around 5 and that was a wait of 40 min.. I got my waiting device an asked the hostess if my daughter could seat at the bar with me as we wait .. He promptly said yes no problem... Arriving at the bar area this bartender( no name tag, skinny very shirt hair beautiful features African American) yell at me saying my daughter couldn't sit at the bar stool , so we promptly sat in one of high chair bar tables where a very pleasant girl served us drinks and a app roll as we wait for dinner... In the mean time we notice that our not so pleasant bartender was entertaining a group of female friends that were loud, saying not pleasant things ( to be nice) to the point that the bartender brought out A fan blower to have her friend perform a bar dance!!! Well didn't say anything because I chose to sit at the "bar" but though it was a little too much for a bar at the Benihana at 5 pm.. Got my table and went up to dinner where Yessica took card of us and Codrec our chef made us laugh and showed us all that is expected from a fun night at a Hibachi place!
On my way out I stopped by the ladies room and my daughter told me that she needed to get water to take her cold medicine... Getting out of bathroom my daughter told me that the same rude lady at the bar told her she wouldn't give her any water... Water is $1!! I came back to bar an look at menu... No mention of $1 water and I asked the same lady whY se was being so rude to us?? She said I was only telling her tube water is $1...
Sorry Benihana but you need to hVe people that is more friendly working for you ... I had just left that bar an tour before, my daughter had a Togo bag in her hands and I had spent a Gio amount of money on your restaurant ... I live close by and I can tell you NONE of my friends will be going there ..

1  Thank Medinagigi
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Good japanese food is made in front of you. The cook performs a show while making it. Nice experience

Reviewed January 18, 2014

The staff are very attentive. From the complimentary valet to the hostess, servers, and chef. The food is fresh and the quality is excellent. I have never been a fan of seafood and on this day, I was. The fruit drinks are delishes. You don't have to be an alcohol drinker to enjoy your self. I went with close family, my children, and friends. The atmosphere is private; however, you can chose to sit in the lounge/bar area for happy hour. I went for the Hibachi and I made reservations 4 days ahead. The chef we had was good. He looked rather new but he did an awesome job in taking care of us. Oh and if you are on a diet, make this your cheat day. The garlic butter goes on just about everything and I think thats the key ingredient (lol).