“It has some pluses”
Review of Monty's Raw Bar

Monty's Raw Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Monty's Raw Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #193 of 1,142 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: South Pointe
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our daughter attended a nearby university and frequented the Monty's in Coconut Grove. Having walked the marina along Alton out to South Pointe Park ( a great walk), we found this location on our last visit but didn't have time to stop.
it is right along the boardwalk and has a large seating area with elevated tables as well as some tables right on the boardwalk. Beautiful yachts are docked right there but it also affords you a view of departing cruise ships and other Miami boating activities.
We arrived at Happy hour and each ordered Pain Killers #3.... Supposedly 3 shots of rum to a large 16 oz cup. Since I had two, I think I can fairly say I doubt there was that amount of alcohol....but at $6 each( Happy hour) they were delicious! The waitress was efficient enough checking back several times to get our food order but we wanted to enjoy the views so held off a bit. I ordered she crab soup, something I've only had before in Charleston, SC and Kiaweh Island and wasn't expecting much. It was EXCELLENT!!! It was a perfect balance of creaminess and body. I was pleasantly surprised and would return for this!
My husband ordered the Mahi sandwich and a simple green salad. he thought the fish sandwich was good enough. I ordered the calamari and wish I had checked Trip advisor before ordering and I would have read the May 1 review about how horrible this choice would be. It was literally inedible... And I rarely leave my meal. Two couples around us complained about their meal choices. I am not sure I can even describe the calamari other to the say they were large thin rings with absolutely no flavor and a chewy dry texture. I've had great calamari but honestly this was so bad that even if I had nothing to compare it to, I'd give it a 1.
Prices for South Beach are fair enough with the fish sandwich with fries $16 and the soup a steal at $7!
Monty's in South Beach is a great spot offering an enjoyable marina side seating option. Visit for happy hour and enjoy a PK 3 and she crab soup but maybe move on for the rest of your dinner.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Drinks were OK, especially given the happy hour (4pm-8pm M-F). Service was good. Food terrible. A marina view restaurant that serves calamari that bad (at $13), should be an embarrassment. Give this a miss unless you just want happy hour priced drinks..

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Went to Monty's with a group of friends for a late lunch on a Thursday afternoon. I will say that service was quite adequate. Especially comparing it with general service in Miami.
I had the Fish Tacos- fish cold and DRY. Styrofoam comes to mind. Otherwise, it would have been fine.
Friend 1 had chicken Cesar Salad - again, chicken dry and overcooked.
Friend 2 had fried shrimp - She ate 3 pieces and was done- I tried one and realized why- deep fried rubber. I would imagine that the meats were precooked- unfortunate since the place wasn't that busy. I now know why.
I wanted to like this place as the view can't be beat. Still had a wonderful time but it's expensive and from someone that tends to give the benefit of the doubt (as you can see in most of my posts on here), just wasn't good. Cesar salad w/ chicken, fish tacos, 2 margaritas and 1 beer - $76. For lunch? ..Rephrased....For a bad lunch? Not again.

Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich. It was really good other than the fact that it was burnt. I went on a Friday night so they were busy but the service was really slow! Management should know they are going to be busy on a Friday night so I don't know why they were understaffed. The margarita was all sugar and juice and zero alcohol! The fries were really good but they tasted like they had butter on them so watch out if you're watching your calories. The best thing about Monty's is the location. It's really nice being that close to the ocean. I am just sure there is a better place in the same area.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

Hard to best live music and good food on the beach ! Only Problem was kids in swimming pool - who brings kids where heavy adult beverages being enjoyed???