“Great location and onsite restaurant!”

Sanctuary South Beach
Ranked #149 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed May 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for business s a city-wide was in town. I think this is a great hotel for leisure travel and it's close proximity to the beach make it awesome. The room was clean and modern. In the evening it has a fantastic restaurant so it can be a little loud if your room is on the bottom floor. If i remember correctly, the restaurant is zagat-rated. The only drawback was the rooms had a slight odor (three of my colleagues also had rooms here so we compared). I suspect this may be due to the humidity and salt water. But, having said that, I did enjoy the stay and if staying for leisure, you won't be disappointed with the short stroll to the beach!

• Stayed: March 2013
Carlos D, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2013

Thank you for your generous feedback from your resent stay with us. I am delighted that your overall experience with us was a good one. I will follow up with our team members in reference to your drawback. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

There are newer reviews for Sanctuary South Beach

Reviewed May 19, 2013

Good location, great staff, except for Phillip but we'll get to him later. Check-in was relatively smooth and we were handed an actual key. How adorable is that?

The good: location, staff, price, size of room, and the Zen-like decor in the courtyard. Had a small issue with the A/C and the maintenance man, who spoke little English, came immediately to fix the problem. He was able to communicate to me what the problem was and had a smile for us every time we passed him in the courtyard. I loved seeing him when coming and going to my room.

The not so good: Hair! I am anal when it comes to bathrooms. (Stop giggling. I'm serious).
There was hair in the shower and in the grooves of the shower door. Which, by the way, looked like half of the shower door was missing. Anyway, if I see hair, I start to question the cleanliness of the whole room. Also, the water pressure was way too low.

The A/C unit is loud when it starts. I jumped a few times from the noise this thing made.

The worst: Phillip. I believe that's his name. He's the 11pm to 7 am night clerk. The bedroom tv remote needed batteries. My girlfriend called the front desk asking for batteries and Phillip was extremely rude. He raised his voice and said that there was no one the could send to the room. He then said, in the same rude tone, that if the maintenance man was still here he would send him up. The next morning we spoke to a female hotel employee who said she wasn't surprised by his tone but apologized for our experience.

Bottom line: I would stay here again but I would have to inspect the room upon arrival.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lokie

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback. Our goal is to deliver an outstanding service level and I will certainly review your comments with our team member. We look forward to the opportunity to exceed your expectations during a future stay. Please contact me directly and I’ll make sure your stay will be a memorable one. cdejesus@meninhotels.com

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Seriously, I have nothing bad to say about this hotel, even if I look at it through a magnifying glass. The rooms are big, modern and very clean. The inner courtyard is very nice in a Japanese style with water pools and bamboo. The location is excellent; Collins Ave is two steps down the road and the beach as well. The restaurant and the service are wunderbar! The Santuary has an awesome new sister hotel (The Gale), where we were allowed to use the gym and the pool. It is a luxury hotel; and their amenities accordingly. I am in Miami at least once a year; and the Sanctuary is the only hotel I am staying in after many bad stays in some other hotels!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ginuska

Thank you for taking the time to provide your positive feedback from your stay. We appreciate your comments about our spacious rooms and location. Our sister properly is a great addition to our family and we are pleased that you found their amenities to your liking. On your next trip here please send me an email so that I can extend a preferred guest rate for you. cdejesus@meninhotels.com

Reviewed May 13, 2013

My friend and I just stayed there and were very impressed by the customer service, the decor, the amenities, the location and the price; All the staff we dealt with was outstandingly helpful, friendly and really made us feel at home. The decor was adorable in a zen-minimalist way complete with a lovely hallway decorated with fountains and bamboo trees. The suite was also very nicely decorated and easily shared between friends because it had a queen bed as well as a sofa bed. The kitchenette (with marble counters) allowed us to prepare some of own meals which we really appreciated. The location is unbeatable, two minutes from the beach and the shopping district. Also, even though the Sanctuary doesn't have it's own pool we were able to use the pools at the Gale and Shelborne hotels nearby which was fantastic. Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel as I think it is one of the best kept secrets in South Beach.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Carlos D, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post this positive review. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your accommodations with us. We appreciate your compliments regarding the comfort of the rooms and the spacious homey accommodations spacious suites offer. We are looking forward to having you back for another unforgettable experience. Please contact me at cdejesus@meninhotels.com for special rates.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

What blew me away about this property was the location & service by the concierge/front desk agent, Mr. Michael Evans. I have worked in the luxury hotel business for almost six years, and Mr. Evans truly delivered superior service during my visit. I first dealt with him on the phone about a week before my stay, Mr. Evans notated all of the specific room details I needed during my trip and assured me he would handle it.

Upon arrival, Mr. Evans greeted me and referenced our phone conversation — he went over all of the hotel's services & amenities and walked me to my room. During my stay, Mr. Evans recommended me an efficient shuttle service and cab driver, he also sent me to an eclectic bar/lounge called, Broken Shaker which was amazing, and he made a reservation at the Sanctuary's sister property, The Gale — which was also an awesome property.

Again, I thank him and the Sanctuary for providing me with great service during my stay. I hope his supervisor's are able to read this and commend him on a job well done!

Room Tip: My room had a couch that turned into a bed, this was a great help.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank RoyHobbs8

Thank you for posting your feedback. Mr. Evans is truly an asset to The Santuary Team and I will ensure he is recognized for the outstanding service he provided. The Sanctuary is an ideal location for being able to enjoy all that south beach has to offer while providing a quiet escape from it all as well. I am pleased to learn you had such a memorable stay with us and hope you have the opportunity to visit again soon. I will be glad to offer you our best rates just send me an email to cdejesus@meninhotels.com

Reviewed April 12, 2013

I booked this hotel 7 days prior to my arrival. When I arrived at the hotel I was told the hotel was overbooked and there was no room for me and my friend. When we turned up around 1pm we were told the room wasn’t ready but we could return at 3pm and we would be given our room. At 3pm, the lady on the front desk told us that the hotel was overbooked and there was no room for us. We were shocked – how could the hotel have accepted our booking and now tell us there is no room? How did they not know this 2 hours previously? She had no explanation only that this had happened to others also. She then offered us a room at the Bentley Hotel, the sister hotel in Miami beach. What could we do? We had no choice only to accept the sister hotel. However, when we advised her that we had just paid $35 for 24 hour valet parking across the street and we expected the hotel to at least cover this expense she said they could not do this but she would talk to the valet. She spoke with the valet and he said they had to charge $15. Again, we explained to the lady that we had been highly inconvenienced and we expected the hotel to cover this cost but she said she was powerless and could not do anything. Eventually we were tired of arguing and went to the Bentley Hotel which seemed like a nice hotel. We stayed one night without issue until I returned home and saw that the hotel had charged a $95 charge to my credit card which I had not authorised. I called the hotel and asked what the charge was for. The gentleman on the reception desk said it was for the minibar. We used three items from the minibar – Pringles, Kit Kat and Oreos. How does this add up to $95? He put me in touch with the housekeeping manager and she told me that there were two books ‘missing’ from the minibar and we were charged the cost of these books. I explained to her that I never saw the books, was not aware of their existence and certainly did not remove the books from the room. She continued saying that the books were missing. I take the accusation that I removed something from the room without paying for it very seriously and explained to her that I did not take the books and it is not my problem that they are missing but I am not covering the cost. In the end, she said she would credit the charge to my account. That was Monday, March 18th and my account has still not been credited to date. I ended up getting my credit card provider to dispute the charge.
I travel the world for business and I have never experienced such shockingly bad customer service from a hotel. I am shocked that a hotel in the US cannot honour a booking made 7 days prior. However, I am always reasonable and would understand if there was a system error and it was a once off. What I can’t forgive is that there was no acknowledgement by the staff that this is highly abnormal and further, the unwillingness to provide any concession not least to cover the cost of an expense incurred because we thought we were staying at that hotel. Also, I felt I was being accused of lying when I explained to the housekeeping manager that we did not see books never mind remove them from the room, I have never been so angry to be accused of this. I wrote to the General Manager who sent a prompt reply apologising and said he would look into it. He has not responded to me since and this was in March.

I would never recommend either hotel to anyone. It was stressful and the service appalling.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank SusieCR

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am sorry to hear about your experience. Assure I will be working with our team members to deliver an improved service level. I would also like to apologize for the inconveniences at our sister property. We have reached out to the manager of the property so you should be hearing from them shortly. Once again we apologize for the inconvenience and hope to have your situation rectified as soon as possible.

Reviewed April 12, 2013

This hotel has great intentions, but could use another 200k in renovations....Fix up bubbling walls, water damage, plumbing, new doors/keys, lighting, install a bigger pool....

Here's how I feel about my stay:

STAFF: Can't complain about the staff. The girl who checked us in was very friendly and those we met in the hall were also very sweet.

HOTEL ROOM- Room 208: Major work is needed. The theme for this hotel is great, however, it needs major renovations to get it to a point where it will actually feel zen-like...still far from that!
Their major miss is attention to detail!

1) The key to the room door is an actual key. Not a huge problem, but would be nice to modernize it a bit.... We only got 1 actual key... we needed 2.

2) The door opens outward. I have an issue with this as I'm always nervous staying at hotels and like to put a chair under the door handle. Also, there is no secondary safety lock on the inside of the door..... don't like that.

3) Sofa and chairs in the suite were all stained with wet sandy butts. The sofa had a rip in the fabric, the stools were sticky and the single chairs were really dirty.

4) Ceiling in the living area and bedroom had a huge water stain on it....doesn't look clean, you know.

5) The bathroom needs attention. First of all, they did a poor job of cleaning the sink and floors. The sink would not drain as hair and tissue paper were stuck in it. The floors were full of black hair from the cleaning lady....especially behind the door. The door of the bathroom has a frosted glass effect, but it looked like water or moisture got between the door and created these large bubbles of water.... looks cheap. The toilet is one of those energy efficient toilets that you need to hold down until it flushes, but you have to flush at least 4 times to make sure the paper and your business has fully been flushed. More water damage around the based of the shower. The rain shower is nice, but they should have a real shower head as well as the water pressure isn't strong enough to get all the shampoo and conditioner out of your hair.
The mirror above the sink has wooden shelving around it. Again... 2 shelves were missing and the wood is so old and the paint is chipping..... not clean looking.
The balcony is nice to have, but when it has no access to sun or a view, it's kind of pointless. We were starring at the wall of the next hotel and the plants surrounding us blocked the sun, so whats the point of a balcony? If I had control of this hotel, I'd extend upwards.....a view would have been nice.
The lighting in this room is horrible. They put a full length mirror right outside the bathroom, but with no light above the mirror or close to any window, so it's super hard to see properly...

POOL: They should not consider this a pool. It is a large hot tub....literally. You can sit up in it, but forget even standing...it's too shallow. This is extremely misleading.... and I was not impressed.

BREAKFAST: They serve complimentary breakfast, but the assortment is so basic and small consisting of bread and cereal. We opted to go to a resto instead.

LOCATION: If you don't mind walking a few blocks, the location is pretty good. Not too far from the beach and very close to lincoln road mall.

DETAILS: This is the only hotel that ever charged me to hold my luggage for me before the room is ready for check-in. They charged us 1$ per bag. Seriously? Okay it's just 1$, but it should be free....especially for a "4 star".

Now.... I might stay there again if they lowered the nightly rates to a price reflective of a 2.5 star, but only if others hotels were not available. Out of the 3 I stayed at on south beach, this is my least favourite. The theme is great, but the execution and details needs to reflect it properly!

Room Tip: Honestly, they seem to all be the same. But I would ask about the toilets. Maybe it was only my room...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jace23_11
Carlos D, Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is unfortunate to learn of your dissatisfaction with Sanctuary. Our goal is to deliver an outstanding service level and I will certain review your comments with our Team Members. We hope to have the opportunity to one day serve you again.