“Time of our lives”

Ranked #143 of 207 Hotels in Miami Beach
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Time of our lives”
Reviewed May 27, 2011

My girlfriend and I organized a 5 day trip to Miami from South Africa. After much debate we decided on the Sanctuary South Beach. And what great decision it was... the trip was EXCELLENT and much credit must go the the guys at the Sanctuary. The rooms were perfect with ample space (just what we needed), the cleaning staff did a brilliant job on rooms everday but most of all the hotel friendly staff is what made our holiday so great. The guys really went out of their way to make our stay that much better, they organized everything from parisailing to VIP passes to some of the hottest clubs. The vibe at the hotel was awesome ... I would definately recommned this hotel, specailly if you are looking for something hip and trendy. Thanks guys... Hopefully we will back in MIA soon!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, July 7, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thanks for feedback and I could not be happier that we could make your stay with us exacly what you were looking for and from all the activities you mentioned its seems that you need a vacation from your vacation... We hope to see you again in the near future.

All the best,
Oscar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Greek first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed April 26, 2011

The room is very nice and comfortable. The restaurant closes too early for dinner. The bad thing is: the hotel is not on the beach, so you have to walk around 7 minutes and it's hard to get a beach chair and umbrella, if you are not staying in one the beaches hotels. The rate is cheap for the nice room hotel offers.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, May 14, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent feedback. Though our restaurant closes at 11pm, South Beach is a city that never sleeps, therefor one can find several local spots just a stones throw away open into the wee hours. I agree that finding a chair and umbrella can be hard at times but feel free to let us know next time your planning a trip as our staff have great beach contacts.

Warm regards,
Oscar
Miramar, Costa Rica
Reviewed April 15, 2011

I recently stayed at Sanctuary on business, and I must say that my stay was very pleasant.
Front desk staff was very helpful and room was very nice. One thing I noticed was that my room was a little dark, but then got moved a room upstairs which was a lot brighter.

Location is great and very quiet. You can walk everywhere, so if you are not planning on leaving the south beach area do not rent a car.

I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet place with a personal touch.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We chose this hotel to be near relatives vacationing at a nearby hotel on the beach, and because there was availability at a reasonable rate during a busy period. After reading somewhat mixed reviews we felt prepared and found what we expected. The location is great, and once road construction on the street is finished the overall atmosphere will surely improve. Our first floor room was larger than expected and generally clean. The air conditioning did not work very well, so it was a little stuffy. The courtyard where the entrance door is located can get busy with restaurant guests seeking the restrooms at the back, plus other traffic from staff and hotel guests, so there is a closed-in feeling and need to keep the door and curtains drawn. This aspect would not be an issue in a second floor room. We took drinks up and checked out the roof at night - it is a great spot but lacking because the pool is missing/under construction, and one half was undergoing complete renovation and could not be accessed. When finished it will likely be wonderful. The hotel staff was courteous and took care of our very few problems in a helpful way. All in all a good experience and we would go back.

Room Tip: would have preferred a second floor room
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
omartorell, General Manager at Sanctuary South Beach, responded to this review, April 15, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to see that you share in our vision as to what an amazing finished product our hotel will look like when we complete renovating our pool and the construcion out front in finished (crossing our fingers, but should be done in about 2 weeks). As for your AC issues, feel free next time to contact the front desk as we have a maintanence staff on site to fix such issues. Visit us soon so you can see our our fully renovated pool.

Regards,
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone the pics of the hotel are bogus, my boyfriend and I stayed here on a mini vacation, although the room appeared to be decent, the air condition was very loud, the staff was very nosy, did not seem to care about all the noise they were keeping up in the early hours, we had a view of a wall with very little sunlight,but to really top off our trip. I had a really nice shirt that I was goon wear out on the town Friday evening but changed my mind, they cleaned our room Saturday morning, sunday before check out my shirt was no where to be found we searched our luggage high and low, searched the closet, under the bed, with no success I called front desk who told me they never had this happen before and I told them neither have I needless to say my shirt is gone, so if staying here be aware of your belongings.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

My deepest apologies for your recent issue at our hotel. We have a very dedicated staff, most of whom have been with us for many years and take guest privacy and security as our top priority. Furthermore, we have cameras on site to prevent such occurances. Rest assured we will follow up on this matter. In regards to your view, we are a boutique hotel located 1 block away from the beach thus giving our guest the privacy of a private apartment away from the noisey streets but the comfort of knowing the beach is a few steps away, unfortunately, this does come at a cost of ocean front views. Please let me know if you decide to come back to Miami and I will personally handle your reservation and stay.

Regards,

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

Muenster, Germany
Reviewed March 19, 2011

We stayed in this hotel in Feb. and stayed there for 4 nights...

when we arrived and wanted to check in, we had to wait for about 10min until the guy from the front desk came - after we asked the staff who's responsible...

we were 4 people to stay - the hotel was informed- but still we had to ask for additional blankets and pillows...we got the bedding but without covers..when I asked for covers the guy from the front desk told us they don't have covers for additional beddings...after arguing we still didn't get any - from that point I was done with the hotel...

The bathroom could have been cleaner....

The hotel also charged an amount on the credit card which we could't find on the bill and have no idea what it is for...

I never experienced such a poor service...I do travel a lot and always stay in a 3*-5* hotel and know what I can expect..this service is definitely not 4*...

The suites are actually really nice and the location is great.

The restaurant seems to be very good, but I refused to go there for dinner because of the hotel service...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank applemaniac
Dear Guest,

We apologize for any inconvenience that this move may have caused you during your recent stay. This case was an unusual occurrence at the hotel and can assure it will not happen again. We thank you for choosing our hotel for your family's stay and hope that you will give us another opportunity. We will be happy to offer a VIP arrival and preferred rate. Thank you.

Sincerley,
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 14, 2011

The Sanctuary is a hidden gem. It's got the perfect location, one block from Collins Ave and the beach, but without the constant noise. The rooms are very large for Miami and excellent value. They don't get a lot of sunlight, but that worked great for me, because in combination with the black-out blinds, I slept fantastically well. My only complaint is that the staff are not very professional and don't pay too much attention to you - they are quite friendly though once you find someone. Btw, it has free, fast WiFi - so essential these days, yet so many hotels choose to charge for it...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends