“above average”
Review of Pelican Cafe

Pelican Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Pelican Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #236 of 1,107 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: 9th and Ocean Drive
Reviewed August 13, 2012

they were able to seat us inside away from smokers and had decent air conditioning. Attentive waiter and meals were all good but a little salty, fortunately I like salt. Decent mojito as well. The typical gratuity was added, as on all of South Beach. Would definitely go back.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

After a long walk on the beach, we walked past the Pelican on our way back to out hotel to get cleaned up. The hostess enticed us in to look at the menu and convinced us to return by explaining the delicious fish entrees. We returned and were not unhappy. The seared tuna was delicious but the branzino is a must have. I have been to the mediteranean and the way the Pelican cooks branzino is even better! Take a pass on the bruschetta, it wasn't anything special, but everything else, including the wine list was top knotch. We also very much enjoyed the hostess who was extremely pleasant and fun to talk to and our waitress was quite nice but a bit too busy. Would defintely recommend this place for a great dinner on Ocean Drive.

PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Travelbug1995,

Thank you very much for your kind review. On behalf of the entire staff we are delighted to learn you enjoyed your dining experience with us.

We look forward to the pleasure of your return
Lupe@pelicanhotel.com

Reviewed August 9, 2012

My husband and I ... first trip to South Beach. Didn't get there till 9 at night. All the restaurants were looking the same till we found Pelican Cafe. We ate inside. Enjoyed the decor, food and service. Would definitely go again!

PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind review. We know that you have a vast selection of dining choices while visiting Miami Beach . We are truly thankful for the opportunity to serve you. On behalf of the team we look forward to your return visit.

Regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Who ever was manager on the night of the 31st needs a lesson in management.

As we walked past the place on our first night in MIAMI, we were eager to continue on but we were waived a 20% off your bill in our face so we took it, we did confirm that it was off the entire bill, she confirmed so we sat down. I had the lobster ravioli for $28 which tasted like ok but the edges were hard and horrible (I cut them off the ravioli as the middle was ok)
The service was average at best, if he did any less we wouldn't have received our food and drinks.
So we get the bill and the full 20% hadn't been taken off, I realize it's only the food which the 20% was taken off. She acknowledges she confirmed to us it was 20% off prior to the meal but the manager says no
So she said 'sorry guys' .

Sure it's only a few dollars but it's basic customer service.

We were unimpressed , it's now $83.40 total including the gratuity which should have been $78 including gratuity (with the full 20% off) so we left $80 and walked off.

Now, illisamo (or similar name) chased us and said we were short. He then said in the USA it's compulsory to leave the gratuity (We have been in the USA for 2 weeks now and at 3 meals x 14 days we know what's going on and sure it's a little getting used to but we pay the gratuity always and when we are happy we put a touch more) he then tried to argue that the dispute wasn't his problem and we should pay. I feel like an idiot giving him the $8+ that was included in my $80 (total food and drinks was $71) but the nerve of him nearly ruined my experience of Miami.

We have since eaten at many places in Miami , try Lincoln road (heaps there) and the Cuban place (Havana) was amazing! on the corner of Espanolo way and Washington (we had dinner there tonight and the chicken is fresh in my mind) amazing.

Thanks Miami for the time here, I will forget my time at the Pelican Restaurant

1  Thank WelovetravellingOz
PelicanHotelSobe, General Manager at Pelican Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2012

Dear WelovetravelingOz,

On behalf of the entire management team and staff please accept our most sincere apologies. Know that your review will not be overlooked. We strive to meet and exceed the expectation of our clients and regrettably we failed you and your guest on the evening of the 31st. It is absolutely not the policy of our restaurant to enforce a mandatory service fee. Our staff is aware ware of the fact that it is at the customers discretion. Thank you for briging this to our attention and know that we will be addressing it with both our manager on duty and staff.

If I may ask you to contact me directly at 305 673 3373 x 102 or send me an email to: Lupe@pelicanhotel.com with your direct contact information I would like the opportunity to correct the situation.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

i had a pleasure of dining on ocean drive where usuallythe service and food quality are sacrificed because the restaurants know they have a great location.
This was not so with Pelican:the hostes did not husslecustomers as they walked by instead smiled and offering seating.The menu had many options but what impressed me was with the twist they did instead of a tipical tuna tartare they offered a crab tuna tartare,instead of sea bass they offered the mediterranean branzino fish which the restaurant manager personally cut up for us to ensure we did find any bones.
How you can't love that?The food was resonably priced considering is ocean drive.The service was like a breath of fresh air and the music was beautiful and not so loud like the others restaurants.

Thank you July S for taking the time to write your review. On behalf of the entire staff we are delighted to learn you enjoyed your dining experience with us. We look forward to the pleasure of your return.

Best regards,