“Faantastic honeymoon meal”

A Fish Called Avalon
Reserve with OpenTable
A Fish Called Avalon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 1,090 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 7th
Description: Overlooking Ocean Drive from the veranda of the Avalon Hotel is the 25 year old, acclaimed restaurant, A fish Called Avalon. Cuisine features local seafood prepared with a sensuous, tropical flair. An extensive wine reserve and full service bar naturally compliment our great food.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Faantastic honeymoon meal”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Arranged to eat here as a surprise for my wife on the last night of our honeymoon. Was not dissapointed - one of the best meals I can remember having!

Booked online without any issues. Arrived early evening and sat outside on the upper deck. Waiter was very friendly, excellent knowledge of the menu. Food was absolutely brillaint inc the seafood risotto and octopus starter. I might also add that I cannot iamgine getting a better key lime pie anywhere. We also enjoyed a superb bottle of New Zealand Sauv Blanc.

The view from our table allowed us to take in and enjoy miamis great night life whilst eating and I honeslty cannot recommend this place enough. Price was quite reasonable around £130 for 2 starters, mains, desserts, wine and service. Oh and they even provided 2 glasses of fizz free of charge as it was the last evening of our honeymoon in miami. Couldnt ask for better

Highly recommend (sorry it took so long to leave a review!)

• Visited June 2012

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Watching the people watchers Miami style”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

On my way to a family wedding in Orlando this week decided to spend 3 nights in Miami Beach just to see what all the fuss is about ;-) like most Brits with cable tv we get to watch numerous tv shows featuring Miami from CSI Miami to the latest Kardashian epic depending on taste so thought it best to go with an open mind and I'm so glad I did on the night we arrived we had a major hiccup with a certain restaurant that I haven't reviewed yet and a lesson to all check trip advisor first lol but after a 9 hour flight and a 4 hour marathon to getting out of the airport using my trusty iPad to check restaurants wasn't on my mind and we paid the price but thank you trip advisor for number 14 out of 1437 restaurants in Miami the gem is called A FISH CALLED AVALON a restaurant that truly deserves its praise and plaudits the place was packed and we hadn't made a reservation but we waited less than 5 minutes to be seated we chose an inside table away from the madding crowd and sat back to watch the lovely people watchers on Ocean Drive our waiters were friendly professional and very efficient and didn't even mind when we sent back the wine that we decided to try but didn't like and then suggested the perfect choice

The restaurant is mainly known for its fish dishes but they do steak and pasta as altertives but when in Rome etc so we chose Asian style calamari and seared scallops for our starters and then a grouper and red snapper dish for our mains now I'm not doing these dishes justice as they we described and tasted far better than just snapper but you have to go and find out for yourself

So the starters arrive and my portion size was just right but my partner who chose the Asian styled calamari was surprised and shocked at the huge portion that was served but also the wonderful taste of the dish she made the fateful mistake of asking me if I wanted to try and never got the plate back and had to enjoy my very well cooked seared scallops during this time our glasses of water was constantly replenished and the waiters enquired how we were getting on at the right pace without feeling overbearing at all .

So now time for the entree and mmmmmm s it worth the wait macadamia crusted snapper was melt in your mouth perfection accompanied with a very well cooked spinach risotta and a sauce that I can't describe but it made me smile more and more after each and every mouthful my partner had the grouper fish on a bed of spinach and another delightful sauce with a couple of baby tomatoes for colour and effect but like my dish a true honest and accomplished delight which had us both smiling that knowing smile of yes I'll happily come back and do this all over again .

So I think it's all over but then I was faced with one more small dilemma the baked cheesecake with whipped cream or the key lime pie luckily I asked one of the waiters ( Chris I think ) which one he recommended and he said without a date try the key line pie and Chris I hope your well as it was delicious and perfect.y rounded up a great nights dining at a first rate well deserved lovely restaurant on Ocean drive that I urge anyone going to SOuth beach Miami to try enjoy and understand why it's rating on trip advisor is thoroughly well deserved .

dallas
“One of the best meals of my life”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

Dont tell my mom but this was the best meal i have ever had. I had halibut for the 1st time. OMG....Life changing good. Hubby and one of the people at table had filet and loved it. I cannot tell you enough how delicious this halibut was. Please try it:-}

• Visited May 2012
Cound
“Disappointing and service below standard I expected”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My wife and I had looked forward to this as we always said we would go to Avalon next time we were in Miami.

The first thing that was the obvious was the apparent lack of enthusiasm of our waiter. This was a problem we had encountered in a few restaurants in Miami. The addition of service charge (fixed at 18% on this occasion) seems to have taken away the desire for some staff to make the effort to serve you effectively and with enthusiasm.

The meal was quite frankly average. My wife had Caesar Salad with no croutons or anchovies and not that interesting. Main course was Seafood Risotto – loads of calamari, one shrimp, one clam with a huge portion of rice.

Unfortunately I picked the bang bang shrimp which was OK but I then picked what I thought was scampi provencale but was shrimp again. Note that both had sauces which seemed to have been put on the side of the plate and not “added/mixed” to the shrimp.

We also had to make the effort to pour our own wine which was slightly disappointing.

It was about $194 so we felt not good value for money.

I try not to be over critical as sometimes you can have a one-off bad day but genuinely felt disappointed given other good reviews

Joliet, Illinois
“Great Outdoor Ambiance & Food; Hostess Not So Much”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Had an EXCELLENT dinner on the outdoor porch/patio facing Ocean Drive. Appreciated the plain clothed security officer there ready to lunge at any rowdy/troublesome beach goers passing by. Food and wine were fabulous and everything was cooked with robust flavor. Only downside was the sour-faced hostess who was neither hospitality or friendly.