“Wonderful South Beach Culinary Tradition”
Review of Joe's Stone Crab

Joe's Stone Crab
Ranked #34 of 1,110 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: A landmark known for stone crabs, fine food and outstanding service. Started in 1913 and still owned and operated by the same family. Joe's provides the freshest stone crabs, seafood and more. Joe's Take Away is a smaller version of our original restaurant, which features all the specialities, plus amazing salads, sandwiches, specials and an early morning breakfast. Joe's also shipping overnight anywhere in the US.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Yes, it's $$$, but worth it. The ambiance is evocative of grand scale traditions gone by. Tons of history and tradition in the place, along with wonderful food and fantastic service. My wife and I arrived on a Monday evening, around 6pm, and were promptly seated. I started with a perfectly mixed Hendrick's martini. Our server, with 27 years tenure, was charming and honestly insightful about the menu. They start you off with an assorted bread basket. The breads are fresh (from a local bakery) and full flavor. My wife and I split the chopped salad (it was huge and we probably could have split a 1/2 portion). I had the large crabs, and wifey had the swordfish, accompanied by a side of creamed spinach. All was phenomenal, the mustard sauce with the stonecrabs really makes the dish. For dessert the keylime pie is one of the best you can get anywhere. The decaf is bold and smooth. As we walked out at 7:30, the place was packed, with a large crowd waiting in the bar to get in. We got there early, as we hate to wait, and from what I've read, the wait time can be several hours. that's my only issue with place, they ought to put in a reservation system.

1  Thank CulinarySnob

Reviewed March 4, 2013

...but feel as though I can be impartial. A decision has been made to not accept reservations which has resulted in a wait of (at times) several hours. If you go into it with that expectation, it will be much easier for you. The staff is really my reason for the rating of "Average". My dinner companion has had stone crab and crab cakes and raves about them. So, if the food is all you're interested in I don't think you'll be disappointed. As far as the staff on the restaurant side is concerned, I suspect the success of the restaurant has given them the idea that they are doing us a favor by allowing us to dine. That being said, I have only been once and maybe the staff is typically lovely.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

The food at this place is incredible! Especially the hash brown potatoes and the Key Lime pie.

We come here every time we're in Miami, this year we waited close to 2 hours for a table but it was well worth the wait!

1  Thank Kat M
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This restaurant is a must to visit but be ready for a long wait on the weekends..1 1/2 hrs? However, they have an area called "Joe's take away" which is right next to the restaurant where one can order to go and they do have tables where there is no waiting..good enough for me. The servers were quick and friendly. The seafood bisque was okay but the oysters on the half shell were delicious and fresh and the stone crabs were absolutely awesome. They are cooked but served cold. I've had oysters and crabs before but not this good and Joe's certainly didn't disappoint! The prices were a little high but worth every penny!!

Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Yuuuup! You gotta wait for a table - can be a couple of hours - so come prepared. Bar area has a great vibe, barmen are fantastic. Calamari and crab are really spectacular and worth the wait.