“great location, but supersmall rooms”
Review of SoBe Hostel

SoBe Hostel
Santa Monica, California, United States
“great location, but supersmall rooms”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

great location, clean rooms and linens, superfriendly staff - only problem are the supersmall rooms - 6-bed on 120sq feels very cramped. Then again, it is supercheap and they upgraded me to a 6-bed even though I had booked an 8-bed and I had only 1 later 2 people in the room.
Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed January 22, 2014

The beds are awful - mattresses are way too hard to sleep on the side. I am not overweight but my hips and lower back hurt every night and sleep quality was poor. Air quality inside the rooms is not great either since you can't open the windows. On the plus side the staff are friendly (if disorganized sometimes), laundry is cheap, and the breakfast is alright. Lots of organized events if that's your thing.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

When we booked this hostel early last year, we got a great price. Thank god, because when we got there. We believed we had paid too much! My friend and I are in no way fussy, we have stayed in many hostels before this. The websites paints a picture of white walls and a clean boutique feel. What we saw was a grungy looking hostel with awful beds and no fresh air. We arrived for New Year's Eve in Miami excited and ready to party, which was lucky as that's pretty much all you can do from this hostel. The Nikki Beach night organised was fun and the staff are great. The rooms are foul, the beds were so unsafe my friend had to put her mattress on the floor as this was a better option than the bunk. The window doesn't open and the aircon helps with heat but you therefore have no fresh air and the room has a continuos mouldy smell. The bathrooms have a shower curtain which barely hides your naked body from the rest of the room and the two toilets in the bathroom are tiny! Your legs touch the door when you sit down!
Internet is poor and the breaki was ok. Nothing special.
We actually bailed on our last night and stayed at the sheraton at airport cos we had enough.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Danni G
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed January 19, 2014

I enjoyed staying here a lot! VERY CLEAN (100 %), close to beach, very friendly and helpful staff, and interesting international travellers, many from Europe. Free breakfast, linens and towels, they offer free welcome drink (but only with alcohol, I don't drink it ( Free luggage storage after check out. And I liked boxes for luggage in room, they are under beds, you may put all your stuff there and lock it! Room for 4 pers is wide! We have great company )
Before visiting SoBe hostel I have read in reviews it is more appropriate for young and party people. Would say, I am neither young no party person. But it was absolutely good for me! Guests are very friendly, and not noisy, I slept excellent )
Actually, only two thing is not good here - Internet, and no stove for cooking (but kitchen is nice, clean with fridge, microwave, catle and ovens).
Of course, location is excellent and safe, 7 min to beach. Price is very reasonable for services provided.
Even they have own song ) It is fun!
Thanks for your work SOBE!!!! Would like to stay here again!

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I had to come at last minute and they helped me regarding how to get there from where I was and save my spot. For 20.95 usd the night, it's much more than you would expect! I looove it and I'm definitely coming back!

Thanks SoBe! From an Argentinean friend ♡

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 16, 2014

There are so many truly wonderful hostels in Miami Beach and this is NOT one of them, so take the time to find another truly good hostel in the area. This one is smoke and mirrors: The bar pretends to be cool but it has bad staff. One bartender named Heidy is downright incompetent and overcharges constantly (no isolated situation), so watch your bill, no need to tip because it's already included in the bill and pay as you go, but better yet AVOID the bar completely. You can drink outside in just about any other bar in Miami Beach for less! The somewhat pretty lobby with the endless loud music hides the prison cell-like rooms and cheap, hard beds. You have to walk out of your room and to one bathroom per floor. That is not convenient and often there is a wait. Don't believe the other positive hype. I was there for a week, got to know the place and was appalled by its mediocrity!

Room Tip: The only amenity is the bar and I told you to skip it, please for your own sake and budget! The kit...