“dorset was cool”

Dorset Hotel
Ranked #158 of 210 Hotels in Miami Beach
ny
Reviewed September 4, 2005

hi. after spending day and night for 2 weeks searching for hotels, my friend recommended the dorset. i booked it and my boyfreind and i stayed there for 4 nights. it was pretty good over all, beter than most hotels on the strip in their price range. rooms are small but decent and clean. bathrooms are clean and everything is close to the beach. ideal for a couple or single person.

i liked the staff and the continental breakfast was fine. i love to travel and i would stay there again

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
There are newer reviews for Dorset Hotel

Reviewed July 19, 2005

I reserved this a month prior and paid through Hotels ($118). I confirmed a few days before... We showed up and "Sorry Ms. I have some bad news. You see how I have a fan, well, the air isn't working so we will move you to another better hotel on the water."

Yeah...RIGHT...it was NOT IN SOUTH BEACH which was the whole point of our visit...so after we got really angry they SUDDENLY gave us a room. The air conditioning worked and everything.

What a lousy scam. I wouldn't stay here again because of stupid scams like that. Turns out they were over sold.

Other than that...the rooms were ok. NONE of the outlets worked. We had one overhead light but couldn't use ANY of the outlets which meant no tv, hairdryer or iron.

The bed was nice and the place was ok clean. Location is good.

My expectations are low but when you pull scams like that, NO THANKS. I won't give you my business again.

4  Thank Travel_Happy00
New Jersey
Reviewed July 10, 2005

This past memorial day, my girls and I stayed at this hotel. Everything was fine except for the attitude of the front desk clerk during the daytime on the weekdays. Instead of being accomodating and polite, like the rest of the hotel staff she decided to persue an arguement when we encountered a mishap. As a matter of fact, she feuled the arguement to last longer than necessary. Needless to say she was the major drawback... the rooftop pool small, but extremely soothing and peaceful was a nice amenity. It allowed us to get away from the hooplap without really going anywhere. The staff (minus ms. lady) was very nice, spoke mostly spanish but that was a good thing for me seeing as how I needed to brush up on my spanish skills. The room was a decent size not too small, the odd thing was that the shower and sink was on one side on the room and the toilet on the other??? No big deal just strange.

Price and location on point, on Collins but far enough up the block so that all the action wasn't right there in our face. I would definitely book this hotel again providing the desk clerk get a few lessons in manners. All in all a good value for the money.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 26, 2005

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Dorset for one night prior to living for a cruise. We found the hotel to be very clean and really liked the decor in the room. The bed was huge with a big fluffy down comforter and lots of pillows. The "bathroom" is really just a toilet room, a shower that opens up into the bedroom, and a sink with mirror out in the open... but we thought this was a great set up. It makes it impossible for anyone to completely monopolize the bathroom while you are getting ready for a night in SoBe! Our room was quiet, clean, and just what we were looking for. Very convenient to the beach, the clubs, Lincoln Mall, restaurants etc. The rooftop pool and lounging areas are a great touch. Overall a good value for money considering its in the heart of South Beach and so close to the beach.

4  Thank Caribbean_Princess
Reviewed May 9, 2005

My husband and I stayed here after our cruise for 2 nights. The rooms are a good size. South beach hotels are notorious for small rooms but this hotel it wasn't that bad. It has modern inspired minimalist deco. It was clean but there were stains on the carpet and the room furniture was definitely Ikea quality. Compared to the hotels surrounding it in the same price range this one is by far more inviting. If you are interested in shopping at the lincoln road outdoor mall it is one block away...prime spot and the hotel is located right across the road from The Delano...stunning. There are other very high end hotels in the general radius so celebraty spotting is easy from The Dorset. We have stayed in some nice hotels around the world so if you have experienced what 5 star is, this would be a 3 at most. The staff was helpful and the morning complimentary breakfast selection was surprisingly good.
Just know South beach is a expensive place to vacation I recommend not getting fooled into picking a hotel based on the cheap price. If you could walk Miami and see these cheaply priced hotels before you booked you would have wished you spent the extra $50-$60 on something else.

6  Thank leahc77
Cornwall UK
Reviewed February 28, 2005

Stayed at this Hotel in Jan 05 with my husband and 2 kids...loved the room, especially the huge beds. The Hotel was very clean the staff friendly and the Receptionist very helpful. We would most definitely stay there again, it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: January 2005
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 6, 2005

Some friends and I stayed overnight at the Dorset before leaving on a cruise. We were quite pleased with the hotel and thought it was a real bargain for its location in the heart of South Beach. After reading other reviews, we had braced ourselves for potential issues with the front desk staff but we found them all to be helpful and friendly. We agreed we would stay at this hotel again.

7  Thank PaulDallas_Texas