“Save yourselves....”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Never before have I been compelled to write a review of a restaurant, untill visiting Macaluso's. Beyond pretentious and unjustifiably over priced. The service staff are pleasant, attentive and able to remember the entire menu. However the verbal delivery of the menu is absurd. There is good reason that this is not common practice. This presentation is strange, and the visual aid of a box of dry pasta is, frankly, patronizing.

Of the food we ordered, one dish was ok, the others were almost inedible. The side dish of broccoli tasted liked it had been boiled in turpentine.

I wish I could get that miserable hour and a half back, but I can't. Now my only hope is that I can save others from this terrible culinary fate. This is not a good example of Italian food. If I could give negative stars I would. I only went because Frommers recommended it.

8  Thank Tom R
There are newer reviews for Macaluso's

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Well, I had a reservation last night at 9PM ,and wasn't seated till 9:45. We were a party of 3, they had a couple of tables available but the genius at the front would not seat us claiming these tables are for 4. I haven't heard that before in any restaurant !
They wouldn't even buy you a drink since they screwed up !. The bartender was so arguementative,borderline RUDE. They now have no menu on the blackboard as they used to,which was consistant with the character of the restaurant(Italian american).
Which I think is not right,since people need to know the price of the food they are ordering ,which I think is fair . We ordered 2 appt, and 2 maincourses, we only got 1 maincourse.
NO MORE Macaluso's for me !

4  Thank amrino
Reviewed November 4, 2012

While the food is always good but overpriced, the service leaves us cold. First of all, get over the no menu pretension. Basically, the place serves pasta. Dennis aka Dennis the Menace pretty much threw our gold amex back at us as if it smelled, when proffered for our $900.00 bill, with a shake of the head and "Not here"

Lose the attitude and celebrate the food- that's how really fine Italian is done.

4  Thank katedel51
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I laugh at people in Miami Beach who spend too much for crappy food. This is not a town for "foodies" that is for sure. This place has good ambiance. The Sinatra music put on a good vibe. The wine list is ridiculously overpriced. My wife had a white wine by the glass...it was a white wine from sicily, it was "bone dry" and refreshing. I am a wine snob and would drink this on my boat on a hot day to refresh. The price charged was outrageous at 15 bucks a glass for what is likely a 6 dollar bottle. The pastas are mediocre. If this place was lower in price, acceptable for a boring night or if you are taking out old people whose taste buds are no longer working as they should. There were 4 adults, around 2 drinks each, meatball and sausage appetizer and entrees, desserts and 1 coffee.....price $497 dollars with the obligatory Miami Beach added on tip. If the meal had been under $300, I would have been surprised but willing to pay it. At this price, I will never set foot in this place again.

6  Thank John D
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have eaten here a handful of times, and each time walk away raving about the food. The meatballs are incredible and happen to not contain pork, which is something hard to find. My husband loves their veal parm, and everything we have ordered is tasty and fresh. The service is excellent and the staff are knowledgable. Dessert is homemade cake, which reminds us of childhood Duncan Hines box cake, but it is delicious and nostalgic too! An all around great place!