“Worst fine dining experience”

Smith & Wollensky - Miami Beach
Reserve with OpenTable
Smith & Wollensky - Miami Beach is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #81 of 1,102 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: South Pointe Park
Description: Relax in a steakhouse with a view. The Miami skyline and crystal waters of the nearby Government Cut channel set the backdrop for a lunch or dinner replete with timeless glamour. Our breathtaking location includes a waterfront cafe, outdoor patio, two floors of restaurant seating and water-view private dining rooms for groups from 20 to 450. Start or finish your evening at our fashionable Deco bar.
Reviewed September 18, 2012

When we arrived we waited 5-10 minutes before anybody acknowledged to bring water, and thats after we asked the busboy, not the waitress to bring us some water. Then when we asked the busboy to bring our waitress we ordered our drinks, which weren't worth the price. If im eating at a "fine dining" restaurant i expect the drinks to be as good as the food. After placing our order for a well expected dinner, since it is considered "fine dining", I couldn't wait to get my filet mignon. When my steak arrived it was charred. I originally asked for medium rare, this steak was well done with slight pink and over seasoned. My carrot cake was comparable to Publix with a piece of hair laying on top and overall the service was horrible. And on top of an overpriced bill, which we hoped would have been for fine dining we got charged for valet, which is usually always included!!!

There are newer reviews for Smith & Wollensky - Miami Beach

Reviewed September 17, 2012

I visited your location in South Beach Miami this past Saturday, September 15th, 2012. We had a dinner party of 20. Gabriel, our waiter, was very friendly but seemed to be very overwhelmed. He had a few servers available to help him with the food. Knowing the catering business, I was apalled by the following:

- Your staff did not have a professional apperance (over sized/unkept uniforms)
- The standard number of waiters is one per eight to ten guests (with 20 guests, we had only one)
- Your staff is unfamiliar (or unwilling) to serve appropriately. I.E. My dinner plate was given (not served) to me from across the table. My glass of water was served to me from the left and placed on my right (I had to move back to allow him to reach across)
- I was not offered a glass for my beer
- The bread was cold, hard and tasteless
- My ahi tuna was over cooked as well as my sisters filet mignon (asked for medium rare and received medium well)

Your group mission statement, found on your website states the following: "Through genuine hospitality, impeccable etiquette, knowledgeable service and a welcoming atmosphere, we will ensure all guests feel valued and honored—with a true sense of luxury and belonging." Unfortunately, I received none of that during my first and last visit.

Needless to say, I was highly disappointed with the food and the professionalism of your restaurant and I will not be returning nor recommending it to anyone.

1  Thank AFV417
Henry D, Manager at Smith & Wollensky - Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. You have taken great measures to give me full detail of your dining experience. This will be discussed in the same great detail with our staff. Once again I am very sorry for the experience you had at Smith and Wollensky.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

service and quality
perfect porterhouse med rare
helpful not overbearing waitstaff
drinks were good
easy to find

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We didn't have a reservation but didn't have to wait too long, we had a drink at the bar whilst waiting. The service was very good and the meal was lovely.

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Reserved a table one month before to have a special dinner for my husband's 40th birthday. I mentioned in the reservation that it was a special occasion and asked for an outside table. The day before the dinner I called and asked for a normal chocolate cake for 11 persons but even if in the website it' s written that one day before it's ok for them we had no cake to celebrate !! It' s unbelivable that in a city like Miami with one day of time it was impossible to find a simple chocolate cake for 11 ! So disappointing ! But this is only the beginning ! Because it was raining and we asked for an outside table they didn't have a " plane B " so we had to wait for 40 minutes ( and we had 4 small children ) to have an orrible table and no one apologized for that ! Dinner was only ok, but we were so disappointed for the special occasion so ruined that we lost appetite . Unbelivable !

Henry D, Guest Relations Manager at Smith & Wollensky - Miami Beach, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2012

Disappointing and unexcepptable. We do not have a cake for 10, but our desserts are very large and we could have put a nice dessert platter together. On the outside dinning we are at the mecy of the weather and the business. There can be anywhere from a 30minute wait to a 3 hour wait. I am sorry for the incoinvenience.