“great food!”

Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Reviewed September 13, 2013

We drove past this place and after remembering the name stopped as it was late and needed some food. The restaurants decoration was very authentic and the band was just packing up. I had the beed stew which was really good, with lovely polenta and some kind of rice dish. We didn't stop for desert as was so late and i didn't check the toilets ;)
Highly recommended if you'd like to try something different and the service was prompt and poilite, answering any questions you have about the food!
Must try if you're in Miami...

There are newer reviews for Tap Tap

Reviewed September 3, 2013

No, I had never tried it either. But it is good. And the funky atmosphere of the restaurant is cool. Lots of murals all over the wall. They have a small patio space out front where you can eat too.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Tap Tap Haitian Restaurant

819 5th St

Miami Beach, FL 33139

Menu Choices:

Wide-range of selections from the Tap Tap salad to Legumes to Fish to Goat.

Food: Yes Lawd! If you know me you know I have an affinity for goat. Every time I see that on the menu at a Caribbean restaurant it is my “when in doubt” meal. They didn’t have the stewed goat that I had my last visit so I had the Taso Kabrit (fried goat tidbit with spicy creole dipping sauce). I was going to save this as a “tip” BUT by fried they don’t mean “southern fried”. You are not going to get a crispy layer, so if that’s what you are looking for you might be disappointed. It was definitely a homemade taste, which I can appreciate. Is is the height of culinary mastery? Not so much.

Service: I wasn’t fall awed by the service, but we really didn’t give him much to do. The orders were taken well, and came out promptly. That’s good in my book.

Environment: I can go on and on about the environment. From the outside you have no idea about the rich vibrant world you are going to embark on. From the painted chairs, to the beautiful wall murals (that I could have stared at all day), it is a great space. The band was great and definitely made you swear you are on the short of Port-au-Prince.

What to Wear: Whatever your heart desires but you can really leave the body cons in the closet (it’s not that kind of party)

Overall: Strong 4.

Would I go again?: It is definitely on my Miami recommendations for friends, because the locals already know about it.

A couple of tips:

1. There is a live band on Thursday that definitely heightens the whole experience.

2. They are known for their Mojitos…. kinda sweet but does that dang thing.

1  Thank Kristiweb
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We find tap tap in trip advisor, as we were searching for a different type of a restaurant rather than the crazy modern ones in South beach.
The vibe is fun and colorful, a bit rustic but it also adds to its charm.
The food was average. We had goat stew. But the desert (The coconut Flan) was great.
They have live Haitian music (I am not sure if it is just for summer, or all the year) on Thursdays and Sundays around 9:00 pm... The music was also fun, and we were lucky to be close to the band.. since you don't have the view of the band from all the tables..

All and all it was a nice haitian experience., a little bit expensive for its type.. and the food shouldt be the main motivation, but the experience.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We went to this restaurant on the recommendation of our big bus tour guide Michael -"Whilst in Miami try as many diverse foods as you can". Ive never eaten Haitian food so was excited to try Tap Tap.

Our hotel was around the corner from the restaurant so we didn't rush to get there. That was our mistake as it was after 9pm on a Sunday and a lot of the items on the menu was no longer available. My sister was very disappointed and settled on the pork which she said tasted OK. I on the other hand had the stewed conch. It was wonderful. I can't get conch in the UK so when I can get it abroad I jump at the chance. There was no more rice and peas so I had it with white rice. To me the portion was quite small so I asked for some more. Surprise surprise there was no more left - how do you run out of a staple like rice???

The restaurant is quite basic and quaint with its murals and tables painted with images of back home. We ended up sitting in a private room because we were originally seated next to a party of 9, who were very loud and rowdy. The service was slow but our waitress was warm and friendly. The cost of the meal was reasonable.

Would I eat Haitian food again - definitely.

My suggestion - make sure you get there early to avoid any disappointment.