“Very good, if pricey”
Review of The Forge

The Forge
Ranked #20 of 1,097 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Royal Palm Ave & Sheridian Ave
Description: The Forge is one of South Florida's most legendary steakhouses, dating back to 1969 on Miami Beach. The award-winning restaurant is not your grandfather's steakhouse - although it once was. With its modern décor, ambiance and philosophy, The Forge has undergone a total makeover, the overall design and décor was executed by Francois Frossard. Walls of hand-carved blonde wood and antique mirrors, lilac and white crystal chandeliers, a wall of bubbles - are perfectly interspersed with the historical pieces that adorn the space. Every diner's seat is "the best in the house." The open floor plan of the 6,000-square-foot space allows guests to see and be seen. Executive Chef Julia Doyne presents a 65-item menu along with a delicious Dessert Menu. Finally, there's a labyrinth-like Wine Cellar with eight-rooms devoted to the rarest vintages in the world, and even a secret, lux private dining room, which seats up to 25 guests. The bar offers guest 64 Enomatic's wines by the ounce.
Larchmont, New York
“Very good, if pricey”
Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Delicious, expensive food in very cool setting. Excellent and friendly service as well. And be sure to save room for the dessert soufflés!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank jaojmk

Miami Beach, Florida
“A Miami Beach Classic”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Forge is part of Miami Beach's restaurant history. Dating back before my time, my wife and family would dine there in the 80s and 90s. The latest transformation make the Forge the "In" place to eat, drink, and be merry.

The atmosphere is unique, the food equally unique and Chef Dewey's creations are special.
Lobster peanutbutter appetizer. Wait until you try it.

The service is great, the decor is unusual, this is a fun place.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Steven N
Miami, Florida
“Vintage Miami”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are looking for a place to celebrate a special occasion or just enjoy a first class meal - The Forge is it! Start off with one of their signature cocktails while you look over their incredible wine list. The food is always great - enjoy!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Eugeniouss
Denver, Colorado
“Obsessed”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Such a beautiful restaurant. Must try the scallops and orzo dish! Servers were knowledgable and friendly!

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Melissa B
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Below Average at Best”
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I have lived in Miami for 30 years and used to frequent The Forge. The restaurant closed down for some time as they rebuilt it and I guess it was at that time that Miami really was coming into its own for dining and nightlife. We ventured out and found other places that frankly seemed better. And as the years went on it only continued to improve here. Forward to this weekend, and after many years of not having The Forge on our radar we decided to give it a try. In a word, we were disappointed.
First, we were met at the door with attitude at the podium. Translation- I really dont want to be bothered welcoming you here or even looking up to tell you that your table wont be ready for 30 minutes (though about 6 tables sat empty in the middle of the restaurant including the one we were ultimately seated at). We went to the bar and sat as the understaffed team talked to various patrons but didnt bother to look up at us. A few times we saw a hostess walk by and asked about our table but were pretty well ignored until we finally just marched over again to the podium. An hour after our arrival we were seated.
The server acted as if he were doing us a favor in helping us. A few simple asks (e.g. more bread...) were forgotten as fast as we asked them. Then came the food.
Appetizers we shared were good and I have to say the shrimp were a good surprise.
The chopped salad was bland and tasteless and the dressing tasted artificial.
Then came the steak. I used to love their "Super Sirloin" and was really looking forward to having it. The steak came out and was surrounded in some unsightly fat. Not marbling- inedible fat about 1/2 inch along one side. The temperature was not what I ordered but since it had taken over 2.5 hours since we walked in to get our food I wasn't about to send it back.
Either the meat was too tough or the knife too dull- but regardless I shook the table as I tried to cut each bite- to the point that it became a joke at our table that I had to work so hard. I was only able to eat about half before giving up.
The wine we ordered was excellent but we were done before our entrees came and nobody asked if we wanted another bottle. In fact, nobody came to ask us if we wanted anything during the whole meal.
The crowd here as I looked around seemed like it was fairly young but certainly unsophisticated. Like they were more interested at being at The Forge than anybody was in what The Forge was serving.
I dine all over the world as my posted reviews can demonstrate. I like to dine as do my family and friends. We have more than our fair share of good meals out every week. This restaurant was off of our radar for years and is now officially off of our list. We have learned our lesson. We can be treated like the local Miami patrons we are by most of the other good restaurants around town- who I can usually call and know at least some of the staff on short notice for a table. We dont need to be treated poorly and insulted with bad service and mediocre food at a cost unworthy of what you get in return.