“Good Meal - EXCELLENT service”
Review of Escopazzo - CLOSED

Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: 1 Bus
Atlanta, GA
“Good Meal - EXCELLENT service”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We visited Escopazzo at the advice of our lunch waiter at another place earlier in the day when we asked him where to have a nice dinner. When we got there they were running a little behind so we couldn't get in at our reservation time so they took us to the back bar for a complentary glass of champagne which was fine with me...we had been running and it was very nice to have a few minutes to decompress. I watched and everyone there was working very hard. I was impressed. I didn't even finish my drink before our table was ready. Our waiter was very very attentive...my husband commented several times as we watched him run around about how hard he was working. Our food was very good though very pricey...the only thing I didn't like was this asparagas flan...its a texture thing I think. The wine was excellent and a very nice list. The service was OUTSTANDING!

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank LJandJen

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor food at high prices”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

When I ate here previously, I vowed never to come back because it was so bad. But a friend insisted, so against my better judgment I returned.
So this was the second worst dining experience in Miami Beach, the first being the first time I went to this tourist trap.
The food was too salty and not as described on the menu. The portions minuscule and there were no meatless meatballs although that was the name of the dish!
Then on the way to the restroom, I watched the chef stick her finger in a pot of food and lick it. I was horrified. I wonder how often each night she does that.
In Italian there is a noun that best describes people like this: ladri.

1 Thank Mariagraziadaromo
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced and bland”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Overpriced and really bland food, none of our party of six had a good experience. Sorry I couldn't be more objective..there wasn't much positive to say about this place.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Richard W
“If you like undercooked rubbery overpriced fish, this is the place for you”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

Ordered fish dish. Rubbery undercooked, overly salted fish on plate with cherry tomatoes and a few pieces of olives. Was supposed to be over a bed of semolina. No semolina, an essential ingredient as per menu. Towards the end of the meal, waiter plops down a bowl of gruel (semolina?). Sorry, chef forgot, heh, heh.
But wasn't it supposed to be an ingredient to be married with the taste of the rest of the ingredients? Apparently not.
Under the circumstances, a classy place would delete the charge-or make a reasonable accommodation. Not here. They charged full price although 1/3 of the dish was missing!!!
My friend was shocked that a tiny bowl is spaghetti (also overly salty) was $30.00. I don't mind overpaying for good food, but this was just, as a friend from rome would say, thievery.
After this experience, I am wondering how this place got the positive reviews it got.

4 Thank Sakinsag
London, UK
“overpriced, poor service and generally poor food”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We ate here on the recommendations in trip advisor and were sorely disappointed. The overall experience was laughable. Ridiculously expensive. There were six of us. The starters were OK and mine was in fact excellent - an asparagus 'tart' - really good well prepared and presented. The 'seafood of the day' starter was also OK although my friends had mixed feelings and the presentation of the three 'identical' dishes was certainly varied. We then waited over an hour for our main courses - no apology. Two of us had the lamb special which turned out to be a poorly presented and cooked lamb shank with burnt potatoes. One friend had the tagliatelle special with truffle and at $55 dollars for four 'mouth fulls' was overpriced and again poorly presented.

The restaurant prides itself on its wine list. We ordered a bottle of Gavi de Gavi - they didnt have it. The alternative when presented was corked. The first sauvignon blanc that came was also off - not a good start to the wine experience.

The ambience didn't help - we had to keep asking for the air conditioning to be turned down as on one side of the table we were all cold. The service was inattentive. WE were not even asked if we enjoyed the food - the staff - and indeed the chef - didn't seem to care in the least.

Coming from the UK the overall decor reminded us of a faded 1960s trattoria in a London suburb with a faux 'fountain' in the back room which in the publicity blurb suggests it is a tuscan courtyard......!

In our opinion a restaurant to avoid - far better places in South Beach, better food , better service and better value.

• Visited January 2013