“authentic”

Neighborhood: Flamingo / Lummus
Cross street: 13th Street
Transit: 1 Bus
Reviewed June 10, 2012

a fantastic Itallian that felt very authentic, using quality ingredients and some original menu twists. the chef personally came out to chat which made us feel really welcome. the portions for pasta were huge, which was great intitally but then i regretted that it meant i didnt have room for desert. All the wine list is Itallian which seemed a little excessive given the quality of some US wines but guess it adds to the authentic concept. I doubt anyone would regret a visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

I found this place on a whim thanks to Google maps and it's proximity to the hotel I was staying at.

I had the raw lasagna, which sounds odd and is quite different from a regular cooked lasagna. I can't attest to the quality of the cooked menu (or the meat, being vegetarian) but this dish so exquisitely prepared I couldn't stop talking about it for weeks. The many layers of incredibly-thinly sliced vegetable melt in your mouth. While the portion was small compared to what you would get at many Italian restaurants, I really couldn't have been more satisfied. Even the bread before dinner was fantastic, and there is a very comprehensive wine list.

If you are a raw-foodist, or vegetarian, you can't miss this restaurant. If I am ever back in Miami I will definitely go back. The prices were quite reasonable compared to what I am used to in San Francisco and the staff was professional. Five stars, easily.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

This place has received a lot of hype in the travel books. I read a number of the reviews before choosing. It was listed as one of the best Italian Restaurants in South Beach-Miami Beach. Sorry, I do not agree with the high ranking. My wife and I both had nice pasta meals with red wine. They were not great meals. This is an organic Italian Restaurant! We have been to Italy a number of times and have enjoyed great tasting Italian meals. This is a very nice place. The owner even came over to our table several times to discuss our meals and answer our questions. Our opinion: It was a little disappointing to our taste buds and to our pocket book.

1  Thank BobHollMusic
Reviewed May 14, 2012

Loved the concept, thought the menu looked outstanding and couldn't wait to go. The chef came out to greet us at our table, even took our order. The food was very, very good; some of the best pasta I've eaten. Sadly the terrible service really ruined it for us. The restaurant was maybe 25% full, yet the the three waiters working buzzed around like flies. Everyone else who came in was offered prosecco, had the tasting menu described to them. Not us. The waiter forgot my partner's glass of wine, and had to be reminded to bring it. After we finished our main, the plates were cleared and 5, 10, then 15 minutes passed before we were offered dessert. Another 5, then 10, minutes passed as we waited for someone to come and take our dessert order. The waiters continued to buzz around; even finding time to fold the napkins of some customers who were using the restroom into decorative swans and fans. When someone finally came to check on us, we'd had enough and asked for the bill. What a shame.

Generally, you can expect bad service in lots of SoBe restaurants, even more upscale ones like this. However we've never had service quite this poor, and it really spoilt the evening.

1  Thank thenextman
Reviewed May 13, 2012

Found this place in a guide book. Luckily it was just a short walk from the hotel. Its just a small storefront space on Washington. Perfect. Walked in and felt comfortable in the cozy front dining area. There is also a back area, but there was a party and the front felt better. Waiter was good, but service got slow at the end. started with mushroom soup and an eggplant app which were both good. then we had the ravioli and bison as main course. Ravioli was great, and my guess is that you can't go wrong with pasta at Escopazzo. Dessert was tiramisu and brulee, both were well done. I recomend this place especially if you are staying in walking distance.