“Very Satisfied”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Washington Avenue & 5th Street
Description: Equal parts killer neighborhood restaurant and cool, casual watering hole, Tongue & Cheek serves approachable, ingredient-driven, American fare with just the right amount of whimsy. Serving daily happy hour, dinner, and Saturday & Sunday brunch.
Reviewed July 7, 2014

Went to Tongue & Cheek after a friend recommended it. We went for a Sunday brunch and were very satisfied with everything we ate. The service was not spectacular but all else was great.

There are newer reviews for Tongue & Cheek

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Popped in on a particularly rainy evening with my better half as this restaurant looked nice and was literally just across from our hotel.
A browse at the menu on the wall outside revealed some reasonable food and cocktail prices so in we went.

Upon being seated we were given a completely different menu from the one we'd seen outside. The food menu was different and more expensive, and the drinks just appeared to have doubled in price. I can only presume the menu outside was a lunch / deal menu to entice people in before they dish out the dinner menu. I must admit we didn't question them on this and stayed, but in hindsight I wish I'd said something as after finishing I heard the couple seated just before we left discussing with our waitress the cheap cocktail menu! We were also sat right near a front window, clearly as a ploy to get people in when they saw people were inside, as there was only one other party inside at that time. That in itself didn't bother me, but the table was right next to a waitress station where a member of staff stood almost the whole time we were there folding napkins about 4 feet away from us.

Anyway, from the dinner menu I had the fried chicken while my partner had the burger. Mine was bland and very basic, while she thought her food wasn't bad. Some of the accompaniments were frankly stupid, with my chicken coming with cold pickled cabbage, and the burger with sticks of regular cucumber instead of pickles. Once eaten we got the bill and left as soon as. I can't comment on the drinks as we just had cokes as we were not willing to pay double the price we'd seen outside for anything alcoholic.

One staff member we did discover spoke no English as upon asking her for some mayonnaise our regular waitress bought us a lemonade, by which time we'd finished our food and had to explain to her what we'd actually asked for. The only positives were that the restaurant looked nice enough inside and our waitress was pleasant. However I would urge people not to bother going Tongue & Cheek if my experience is anything to go by.

1  Thank RyanandLolz
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Amazing. Hands down one of Miami's best restaurants. EVERYTHING was good. Service was excellent! Kudos.

1  Thank Vickie D
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I came here with a group of girls for a weekend brunch for the unlimited drinks ($25 for drinks alone) during our stay in South Beach. The entree selection is not large, and none of the food options were particularly impressive. I had the burger and thought it was tasty but nothing out of the ordinary. However, the service was great and we were able to sit and drink for as long as we wanted without being rushed by our waiter. If you are looking to splurge for a fun weekend with friends, then this place is conveniently located in South Beach and is a great brunch option.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

Opening Remarks:
-Opened in April of 2013 by Jamie DeRosa, working alongside director of food and beverage Michael Reginbogin.
-Chef DeRosa has a pretty awesome resume, having done time everywhere from Wolfgang Puck, to Fat Duck in the UK, to Domus in China. In South Beach, DeRosa is known for his upscale restaurant, the Tudor House, which stands in stark juxtaposition with the latest venture.

Ambiance:
-Located in the South of Fifth neighbourhood, the space has an unusual Alice in Wonderland ambiance as if DeRosa took a little piece of Winwood to Miami Beach.
-Indoors, a long sexy bar lines the entirety of one wall, displaying a unique mis en place of golden beets, grapefruit, blueberries, and fresh ginger, as well as a lovely assortment of freshly squeezed juice.
-The sandy white brick walls house unusual paintings by DeepSleep Studio – everything from portraits of Julia Child to trippy horses with spectacles on their face.
-At the back I spotted a quaint and quiet private dining room, and in good weather, there are a handful of patio tables. We arrived for our 11 AM reservation just a few moments before opening so we were able to snag one of the few coveted seats out front.

Service:
-Since we arrived a few moments before opening, while the staff were still prepping and setting up, the super pleasant hostess suggested we grab a seat out and help ourselves to the drip coffee out front (which was conveniently stocked with take away cups and milk).
-The remainder of our hour long brunch was equally inviting. Our sweet and personable server took the time to make conversation about Canada and where he was from, as well as fill us in on all the juicy celebrity sightings from the SOBE food festival. The server and food runner were prompt to deliver the appropriate side plates and cutlery as well as refill our water glasses consistently in the scorching Miami sun.

Drink:
-A quick peek at their all day drink menu and I was already wishing it were 5 o’ clock. Mixologist Sarah Welch has compiled a cheeky list of innovative creations using a vast arrangement of colourful fruits and juices. They also stock a fairly extensive selection of spirits, including about 40 different whiskies to contemplate.
-Wine drinkers can select from an International list of about 50 + bottles ($40-$280) and around 20 options by the glass ($9-$45).
-Beer-wise, forget about the big brands and look forward to about a dozen craft offerings, each generously offered at $6 a pop.
-Brunch, of course, often still calls for booze with morning classics such as Bellinis, Mimosas, Sangrias (by the pitcher or glass), Bloody Maries and spiked coffee. And if you’re really looking to commit to a boozy day, you can opt for a bottomless Bellini, Mimosa or Bloody Mary for $25 per person.
-Unfortunately, we were still nursing a bit of a hangover from the previous evening’s all-you-can-drink SOBE festivities, so opted to wake up with a deliciously creamy cappuccino and a bright Cucumber, Kale and Lime juice ($8). Honestly, I may be a dietitian but I can’t say I’m one of those crazy people who pins every kale recipe I find online. Having said that, this juice was surprisingly good. Not at all pulpy,thick, bitter or sulfurous, just smooth, light and refreshing.

Food:
- Chef and owner Jamie DeRosa has brought on Chef de Cuisine Lisa Odom and Pastry Chef Ricardo Torres to deliver what they describe as ingredient driven American fare. It’s casual, playful and absolutely dripping with comforting flavours.
-The brunch menu at T&C is super playful American style comfort food divided into about 9 main dishes (including a few sweet, but mostly savoury items), eggs a number of ways (like egg white frittata, scrambled or benedict), a raw bar served chilled on ice, pastries and baked goods, and a handful of tasty sides.

Lemon Ricotta Pancakes, Lemon Curd, Amerena Cherries ($14)

I can’t help but salivate just thinking about this dish- by far the hands-down favourite of the day. Laced with fluffy ricotta and lemon zest, the pancakes were ethereally light, good enough to eat all by themselves. But man, once you factor in that thick lip-puckering lemon curd and the bloated sweet dark cherries, the flap-jacks became some of the best I’ve ever had.

Fried Chicken & Cheddar Waffles, Tabasco and Maple Syrup ($19)

Two pieces of well seasoned, juicy chicken with an irresistible crispy skin made even more addictive with sweet maple and spicy tabasco. Of course, fried chicken is always made better with waffles, even though I was a touch disappointed by the ones here. The menu promised cheddar, but I honestly couldn’t detect the slightest cheesy note. I also would have liked a little more caramelized crispy exterior and a fluffy core. These one’s were a little anemic in their colouring. Regardless, a good bed for crackly chicken skin and a nice sponge for extra syrup to sop up.

Sticky-Icky Bun with Brown Butter Pecans ($4)

Served warm and bubbling with a golden crust and a pillowy soft centre, sticky buns are always a pleasure. My only criticism with this one would be that I found the sauce a bit “light”, meaning I think it could have used a bit deeper caramelization to add a few more toasty notes to the otherwise monotonous sweet on sweet. Maybe using a dark brown sugar or even some sort of acidic element like lemon to cut the sugar. Regardless, there is a good chance you won’t be able to resist a bun like this. Man, sugar coma.

Florida Grapefruit with Honey ($4)

The worst part about grapefruits is cutting and preparing them. The best part is eating them with something sugar on top. T&C makes everyone’s grapefruit dreams come true. Super simple, but a nice way to lighten up a hearty comfort food meal.

Closing Remarks:
-So for a juice, a cappuccino, 2 dishes and 2 sides, the bill came to about $60 including tax and tip. This isn’t your greasy spoon cheap-o meal, but it is a pretty tasty way to start the day. I also thought the service was beyond inviting, and the retro cheeky vibe was absolutely my style. I would definitely recommend T&C for brunch and look forward to checking out their dinner and cocktails next time I’m in Miami.

1  Thank Abbey S