“Nice boutique hotel away from the madness but close to the beach”
Review of Blanc Kara

Blanc Kara
Ranked #26 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Blanc Kara is a nice boutique hotel. Comfy beds and nice sized rooms. Located at 2nd and Collins, right across the street from the Big Pink. One block from the beach and Starbucks. Full kitchen with all the utensils you need and I was pleasantly surprised to see a Nespresso machine!

No room service so stock up at the Whole Foods (we didn't mind). I would say the only thing we found odd is that they do not have a nice machine.

Overall it was a great experience, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Frenchie G

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Location - is great. Close to the beach, ocean drive and supermarkets. Quick and easy taxi ride to lincoln road though it's also walkable, which we did a few times.

Accommodation - we had a standard studio, which had all the equipment you would need for self catering. It was a good size, spacious and a big tv. You could hear the neighbours if they were extra loud, but we didn't have any problems with noise, or sleeping.

Staff we're really pleasant and helpful if you needed anything. Would recommend this to friends, and we would definitely stop here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scoobey
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Many people rate this hotel as nice, chic and comfy. We stayed here for three nights, a party of 5 family members, who really wanted to have a good time in Miami and payed good money for it. I am going to bullet point the issues we had staying here in just three nights.

- We did the reservation online, the hotel took our request with a baby. After arriving, checking in and on our way to the room the concierge come running took the key and stated we could stay there with a baby. We were thrown on the Street on one of the bussiest weekends in Miami (boatshow + Valentines day + a holiday weekend). The issue was resolved when we thratened to come back with a lawyer. Manager didn´t want to show up and barely took our pone call. The guy at the front desk was clueless of what to do!

-We asked for a car one evening to accomodate five people, after making our point several times, we got a regular taxi cab. We arrived late for a family reunión.

-We asked for a doublé room, we got beds the size of twin beds!! I haden´t slept in a bed that size since college!!

-We were situated on the first floor and could hear everything going on around us (neddless to say the room next door). We had the pleasure of hearing a full blown conversation between the staff about how cheap guest were in spanish. Definitely the contractor forgot about the insulation!

-There were trash cans and misplaced cloths in the corridors leading to the rooms.

-The taxi we asked to go to the airport never arrived. It was 5am in the morning, we asked for it the night before.

-The rooms were not cleaned until late in the afternoon.

-My sister had a terrace room where you could walk bafefoot because of the filth.

-I´ve saved the worst part for the end of the review! My sister just found out her credit card number was stolen at the hotel!!

DEFINITELY THE GRIEVANCES OUTWEIGHT THE NICE AND COOL ASPECT OF THIS HOTEL!!! BEWARE!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Mros68
Cynthia L, General Manager at Blanc Kara, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear guest,

I will answer the same than the previous review as there are 3 reviews about the same issue and there was only 1 baby, so I'm sorry but I am not sure (because your names are not indicated) who I am answering to.

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience.
Indeed our hotel does not accept kids and as you know I apologized for the fact that it wasn’t specified on our website, and I admitted to you that it was our mistake, it has been corrected since.
I never threw you out of the hotel and I accepted you to stay with your baby.

I care about every single guest that comes to our hotel, so once again I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Please contact us regarding the credit card issue you are talking about, I or no one at the hotel is aware of this as you did not contact us to report anything. Please let me know what happened so that we can help you solve the problem.

Regards
Cynthia

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We picked this hotel for location as we had seen it during a previous visit to Sobe.We booked our reservation through the Blanc Kara's website. It allowed is to book for two adults, one baby. After a bunch of nonsense regarding the availability of the room we had booked (they said we could only stay at the room with balcony we booked for one night, and move to a smaller one after) we are checked in, gave us a key and while awaiting for our luggage we are told us "we have a big problem you cannot not stay here" . They proceeded to explain children were not allowed on property. There is no posting anywhere on their website or the hotel saying so. We asked to speak to the manager who was "not available". After getting her on the phone, she stated we WOULD NOT BE STAYING THERE - rude and not flexible even when we tried to explain that their site allowed us to book, we had email confirmation of that. I have never in my life been treated so poorly. Sure, they offered to find us another hotel ( good luck with that on the weekend of the boat show) but in the time being, we were thrown to the streets with a 12 month old, two suitcases, stroller and car seat.
We were on a family vacation with our family joining us from abroad we did not want to be at another hotel. The way we were treated was absolutely unacceptable - they are in the hospitality business. We could completely understand if children were not allowed but the hotel's website allowed us to book and they should have honored the mistake and not make us feel as second class citizens. After a lot of convincing they finally let us stay there. However, no apology, and a ridiculous, disrespectful attitude from management and certain staff.
Aside of the horrible experience, the hotel is nice. However, horribly noisy on weekends due to the fact there is a nightclub across the street, and the walls are so thin you could hear the guests in the neighboring rooms. Air conditioning units were so loud. Even worse, we could hear the house keeping staff in the hallways - complain about how cheap the room next door was as they were left no tip. Small details as the floors being so dirty the soles of my feet were black after walking around the room, bathrobes had huge holes on them, left of bed showing holes on purpose and they were just hang up.
After we were thrown out of the hotel, we booked a room through hotels.com, just in case. The first night was non refundable and a much inferior hotel and far away from my family. After were let back in the hotel we had to wait two days to speak to management. We explained the situation and were expecting for Blanc Kara to not charge us for that first night due to the horrible inconvenience and the fact that it was their mistake. We had to ask, no initiative from management to ease the situation. What a disgrace. We were looking forward to a great family vacation which ended up on us losing a day in SoBe and a very uncomfortable situation.
Never again. Even without the baby.

Room Tip: Don't stay there on weekends. AC is extremely loud. Location is only good if you want to be sor...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank SweetPs

Dear guest,

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience.
I never threw you out of the hotel and I accepted you to stay with your baby.

Regards
Cynthia

Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great hotel, it's a little unusual but we were very happy with the hotel and the location. Very clean and well equipped. It is located two blocks from Miami beach in one direction and 3 blocks form the harbor inlet another, lots of action in both directions. We would stay there again.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Excellent basics: generous room, comfortable mattress, clean, modern, very quiet. Great location near but not too near entertainment area. Nice kitchenette with 2 burner range, fridge, microwave. 1 point off for minor wierdnesses: no coffeemaker in room (just Nespresso!) nor any coffee in lobby, microscopic counter space in bathroom, microscopic nightstands, hangars not removable from closet bar. No parking (typical of South Beach boutique hotels), used nearby public garage at $24/day. No food service or newspapers (not even USA Today), but Starbucks is 1 block away. Still, they've nailed the important things.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing alley was quiet.
Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a very chic, clean , stylish , fresh and enjoyable place to use as your base to enjoy Miami Beach. The management has established an authentic modern European vibe here. Front desk is efficiently manned by Rodolfo and Tatiana and they are professional and helpful. Having a kitchen suite seems possibly to expand the price of your stay compared to a hotel. But when dining out in Miami can be unpredictably expensive you are economizing more than the extra you pay. The same care and attention to detail is found in the kitchen appliances, layout and utensils. Great find and I am going back.