“Thank you for letting us down” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blanc Kara

Blanc Kara
Ranked #29 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Thank you for letting us down”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

We picked this hotel for location as we had seen it during a previous visit to Sobe.We booked our reservation through the Blanc Kara's website. It allowed is to book for two adults, one baby. After a bunch of nonsense regarding the availability of the room we had booked (they said we could only stay at the room with balcony we booked for one night, and move to a smaller one after) we are checked in, gave us a key and while awaiting for our luggage we are told us "we have a big problem you cannot not stay here" . They proceeded to explain children were not allowed on property. There is no posting anywhere on their website or the hotel saying so. We asked to speak to the manager who was "not available". After getting her on the phone, she stated we WOULD NOT BE STAYING THERE - rude and not flexible even when we tried to explain that their site allowed us to book, we had email confirmation of that. I have never in my life been treated so poorly. Sure, they offered to find us another hotel ( good luck with that on the weekend of the boat show) but in the time being, we were thrown to the streets with a 12 month old, two suitcases, stroller and car seat.
We were on a family vacation with our family joining us from abroad we did not want to be at another hotel. The way we were treated was absolutely unacceptable - they are in the hospitality business. We could completely understand if children were not allowed but the hotel's website allowed us to book and they should have honored the mistake and not make us feel as second class citizens. After a lot of convincing they finally let us stay there. However, no apology, and a ridiculous, disrespectful attitude from management and certain staff.
Aside of the horrible experience, the hotel is nice. However, horribly noisy on weekends due to the fact there is a nightclub across the street, and the walls are so thin you could hear the guests in the neighboring rooms. Air conditioning units were so loud. Even worse, we could hear the house keeping staff in the hallways - complain about how cheap the room next door was as they were left no tip. Small details as the floors being so dirty the soles of my feet were black after walking around the room, bathrobes had huge holes on them, left of bed showing holes on purpose and they were just hang up.
After we were thrown out of the hotel, we booked a room through hotels.com, just in case. The first night was non refundable and a much inferior hotel and far away from my family. After were let back in the hotel we had to wait two days to speak to management. We explained the situation and were expecting for Blanc Kara to not charge us for that first night due to the horrible inconvenience and the fact that it was their mistake. We had to ask, no initiative from management to ease the situation. What a disgrace. We were looking forward to a great family vacation which ended up on us losing a day in SoBe and a very uncomfortable situation.
Never again. Even without the baby.

Room Tip: Don't stay there on weekends. AC is extremely loud. Location is only good if you want to be sor...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank SweetPs
Cynthia L, General Manager at Blanc Kara, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Dear guest,

I will answer the same than the previous review as there are 3 reviews about the same issue and there was only 1 baby, so I'm sorry but I am not sure (because your names are not indicated) who I am answering to.

I am very sorry that you had a bad experience.
Indeed our hotel does not accept kids and as you know I apologized for the fact that it wasn’t specified on our website, and I admitted to you that it was our mistake, it has been corrected since.
I never threw you out of the hotel and I accepted you to stay with your baby.

I care about every single guest that comes to our hotel, so once again I am sorry for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay.

Regards
Cynthia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great hotel, it's a little unusual but we were very happy with the hotel and the location. Very clean and well equipped. It is located two blocks from Miami beach in one direction and 3 blocks form the harbor inlet another, lots of action in both directions. We would stay there again.

Brookline, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Excellent basics: generous room, comfortable mattress, clean, modern, very quiet. Great location near but not too near entertainment area. Nice kitchenette with 2 burner range, fridge, microwave. 1 point off for minor wierdnesses: no coffeemaker in room (just Nespresso!) nor any coffee in lobby, microscopic counter space in bathroom, microscopic nightstands, hangars not removable from closet bar. No parking (typical of South Beach boutique hotels), used nearby public garage at $24/day. No food service or newspapers (not even USA Today), but Starbucks is 1 block away. Still, they've nailed the important things.

Room Tip: 3rd floor facing alley was quiet.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2014

This is a very chic, clean , stylish , fresh and enjoyable place to use as your base to enjoy Miami Beach. The management has established an authentic modern European vibe here. Front desk is efficiently manned by Rodolfo and Tatiana and they are professional and helpful. Having a kitchen suite seems possibly to expand the price of your stay compared to a hotel. But when dining out in Miami can be unpredictably expensive you are economizing more than the extra you pay. The same care and attention to detail is found in the kitchen appliances, layout and utensils. Great find and I am going back.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2014

I have been to Miami several times and this was my favourite hotel that I have stayed at so far. The hotel is a short walk to the action on Ocean Drive and the shopping on Collins, but just far enough away to enjoy a quiet stay. I loved the décor of both the lobby and the room and the Nespresso machine in the room was a nice touch! I also loved the fact that it had a small kitchen in the room for the option of a longer stay. My only small critique was the firmness of the bed.

I only stayed 1 night as I was cruising from Miami, but would definitely stay again next time I am in town and I hope to stay longer!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanisToronto
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I drove down from Orlando to attend a performance at the Adrienne Arsht Center. We chose the Blanc Kara because it was convenient to the Performing Arts Center and reasonably priced.

What a great choice. This boutique hotel has been tastefully renovated in a minimalist style. We were upgraded to a large suite comprising of a kitchen, seating area with two sofas, a modern bathroom with walk in shower, bedroom and large terrace which would have been great to sit out on if it had not been raining. Our room was on the second floor at the front and with windows on two sides was light and airy. The room rate included breakfast - two pastries, fruit and coffee conveniently served in a brown bag so that you could take it up to your room.

Like most hotels in Miami and Miami Beach parking was a bit of a pain. Fortunately we were able to park on a meter outside the hotel when we checked in and again when we returned to the hotel at 11pm. There is no charge for parking on a meter from 3 - 9am so we fed the meter until 3am and again at 9am. It was a hassle but was cheaper than parking in the garage a few blocks away.

Our sleep was disturbed at 6am by a street cleaner pressure washing the sidewalk. This was not something that the hotel could control but we were told that it happens regularly.

Ocean Drive is a few blocks away and the trendy restaurants and bars are all within walking distance. Lincoln Road is a bit too far for most people to walk to.

I will definitely consider staying at Blanc Kara next time I am in Miami.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a terrace
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank FloridaGirl2012
Whitchurch-Stouffville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

Very new hotel, very well appointed rooms with a kitchenette to provide you options for longer stays. Breakfast to go, friendly staff and a comfortable bed.
Nice to be one street off Ocean Drive to escape the noise without being far from the beach. The price point beats many of the older, run down spots in South Beach.
I will return to this hotel on my next trip.

Room Tip: Ground floor was perfect for me.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business