“Fantastic (secret local) Pizza spot on South Beach!”
Review of Lucali Miami

Lucali Miami
Ranked #196 of 1,101 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This is seriously the best pizza I have had in quite awhile! And don't even get me started on the amazing Kale Caesar Salad!!! In the super Hip Sunset Harbor neighborhood of South Beach, where are the beautiful locals (and some hip travelers) go! check it out!

There are newer reviews for Lucali Miami

Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came to dinner to lucali. Interior is very unique and cozy. They have a limited menu - wine, beer, pizza and salads basically but the food is very good. My husband loved the pizza. I ordered the arugula and fig salad which was also great. If in the mood for good pizza I'd recommend. Good date spot too. Fernando was our waiter and he was fantastic!!

Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

When I walked in nobody greeted us, I had to ask the guy if we seat ourselves or do they seat us. Once we sat down the look of the restaurant was quite charming. The menu is not very big. I wanted ham on my pizza but they didn't have any. They only have a few toppings. I ordered a plain cheese pizza, calzone and a ceasar salad. The pizza is very good only thing is that the crust is not very good (pizza is very thin). The calzone and ceasar salad was great. Overall the place I would rate it a 5. Needs improvement in greetings I would come back

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I was very interested in visiting Lucali, having heard so much about it. We went there on a Sunday evening for a late dinner, around 10 PM. The location is a bit hard to find among the small by-lanes of Sunset Harbor, but there is a new parking ramp directly above the restaurant, with lots of free spaces and $1/hour parking.

Tables were about 30% occupied, and we got one towards the back near the pizza oven, where it is interesting to watch the pizza being made. The ambience is a bit dark but not unduly so, the room is large with adequate between tables, and the oldies music fits in well. That, combined with the very friendly and efficient service, made for a very pleasant dining experience. The manager and another manager (or owner?) stopped by to check on us.

I had heard the pizzas were on the large side, and that was very clear looking at the other tables. They only have one size: a 20-inch pizza! The basic pizza is $24 (tomato and cheese) and you can add toppings (about $3 each). Two of the toppings (basil and garlic) are free. There are also calzones in two sizes, and some salads and a dessert pizza. After looking at the pizza size I was glad I had skipped lunch that day, and decided not to order a soft drink as I sometimes do. Between the two of us, we ordered one pizza plus the free basil and garlic toppings. We watched the pizza being prepared. The chefs seemed very experienced, and the brick oven looked promising.

The pizza was delivered in just 10 mins, with an ample topping of fresh basil leaves. The crust seemed perfectly well done. And the taste was very good. It was not the best pizza ever, I have had better pizza in several places, including in Miami Beach, but it was still very good, and I definitely plan to return and try it again. The pizza was very thin crust, but the large size made it difficult for two people to finish, certainly impossible for any one person. I did not find the price high, if you share the pizza it's only $15/person including tip (which was added automatically).

Pros: Excellent crust, very good sauce, friendly and efficient service.

Cons: The cheese seemed to be a blend of cheeses, not just mozzarella. This made it a bit more salty, certainly different from the pizza cheese I like best. Adding garlic was probably a poor decision on my part, it did not seem to go well with the rest of the toppings. There was also a rather wide (1 inch) border along the perimeter of the crust with no toppings on it, which made for somewhat dry crust along the edges. Plus, the pizza is just too big for two people to share.

Needless to say, we did not have room for salad or dessert. Overall I am rating this 4/5, and it could be a 5 if they reduce the size of the pizza, and change the cheese used in the toppings.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Brooklyn's Lucali has opened up a new branch, in Miami Beach's Sunset Harbor neighborhood, an emerging hot spot of great restaurants, coffee bars, and boutiques.

Pizza and a few other dishes (salads) are the focus here, and in my view, the product is absolutely superb--toppings and sauces are extremely high quality, and the focus is on quality, not quantity. That said, while a basic pie is expensive, the toppings (artichokes, pepperoni, fresh basil) really set this place apart, as does the obvious care the pizza chefs take with the pie. A kale caesar salad was fantastic, and the thoughtful, mostly Italian wine list is great, too.

I like Lucali a lot, and see it as a great addition to Miami.

1  Thank YonaShymllnTheGrove