“Wonderful suprise”

Ranked #26 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Vernon, Texas
“Wonderful suprise”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

When we booked this, we did not know that this was their 2nd night to be open. Yes they were having difficulties, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. The location is great for the Miami Boat Show. We pretty much walked every where. We did not request a handicap accessible room. We had the run of house & got a handicapped room. It does need more shelf space in bathroom, but the room was really big. Also really nice to have fridge in room too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Meredith W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Pestana recently. We had room 3101 which had a little fenced yard on the street with two loungers and club chair. We felt transported to a little Miami Beach townhome, and felt very at home. All the decor is new and fresh, though starting to show signs of wear in the cleanliness of the white tile floor and some of the furniture in the lobby. Management will have to get on top of this to keep things fresh.

Despite presence of many 20-somethings in the hotel this Saturday night, our room was quiet, and our bed comfortable. We loved the location close to both Lincoln road and the beach, but far enough away, out of ear shot. Front desk and bell staff very helpful. We didn't have any food or beverage, just a quick stay!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MissusKitty
Providenciales
Reviewed May 6, 2013

we were very happy with our stay, the hotel is brand new, rooms was simple, clean and good in size. staff were friendly and helpful. the location is perfect, close to lincoln road, but without all the noise of ocean drive.

we were allocated a room close to reception, which was noisy, we could hear the young guests on the upper floor. but member of staff on duty (alvaro?) was very efficient in allocating us to a quieter room, which was perfect and we could hear nothing.

breakfast was good, not luxurious, but then the hotel is not a five star, so i wouldn't expect it to be. the cappuccinos were specially good!

ps - http://myseastoryblog.com/2013/05/06/pestana-miami/

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Myseastory B
Berkeley, California
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We found the hotel through reviews from Trip Adv and were happy with our stay. They are new and working out the kinks, but the people were kind and the service was fantastic. They tried hard to please. The room was clean and the beds very comfortable. The free breakfast was perfect. Offering everything from cereal and yogurt to ham, cheese and bagels.We knew that they were still working on their liquor license, so that was not an issue. The layout of the hotel is a bit choppy. If you want the best rooms-ask for Building ONE, pool view levels two or three. We were in building three which was a walk around the pool and up a small flight. If you are in need of ADA accomodations or do not want to carry your luggage, ask for building one which has an elevator and in the main part of the Hotel. They have help (bell captain)service for your luggage, too. The pool area is nice, also and very relaxing. The location is in the northern part of SoBe and nice and quiet at night, but still walking distance to all the key spots. I would definitely return and stay at the Pestana again. Again, I read the reviews in Trip Advisor, so I also knew that they had a separate garage for parking which cost $30 for the day. The garage is 2 short blocks away, but easy to get to. The trick is to leave your luggage at the hotel, then move the car to the garage. They are obviously busier than anticipated and need to get increase the staffing, but the peope that helped us were great! Forteh fantastic price, we felt we had a great value.

Room Tip: Rooms in building One have the elevator, All Pool view rooms should be better than the others. Our f...
2 Thank indrajmk
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Room was dirty, service was terrible - took 2 hours to get one towel, Internet didn't work, took forever to check in and the front desk was rude. The Internet did not work. The food was decent. Air conditioning ok. No way to call the front desk from the room.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank ktwyman
Washington, DC
Reviewed May 2, 2013

WARNING: THIS REVIEW IS GOING TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST AND KINDA LONG. I haven’t written many reviews on hotels (and trust me I have stayed in plenty), mainly because as the saying goes if you don’t have something nice to say then don’t say anything at all. Plus the fact that most of the time I feel you have to take all trip advisor, yelp-esque review sites with a grain of salt because most of the time people only have negative things to say. Well, I am not one to complain but I feel like something has to be said especially because this is a new hotel and they are still working out the kinks. If anything, I want other guests to know my experiences and hopefully the hotel will be able to improve based on guests like me, who have stayed here in the opening months.

So let’s begin with the Good:
1.) James at the front desk was awesome, he tried his best to help us even though they we completely booked (no rooms available), and I’m sure that has not happened yet, or at least often enough since they just opened in February 2013. When our shower head broke, we stopped by the desk on our way out to the beach and by the time we got back he had someone fix it and it was not a problem. Plus he came to the rescue, when we were checking in (see the ugly below).
2.) The beds are SUPER comfy, granted was I intoxicated and/or exhausted by the time I hit the pillow? Yes!!!
3.) The room was huge, considering other boutique hotels in the area. We stayed in a deluxe, and had a corner room at the end of the hall, and could barely hear anything or anyone in the hallways, let alone outside.
4.) Great Location
5.) Pool is nice, and hotel food is good! I had a burger and fries and the food was way better than the food we got over at the Surfcomber, where our friends were staying.

The Bad:
1.) We wore flip flops around the room after the first night because the floor was FILTHY, sure white tile floors do get dirty, scuffed, but this is a brand new hotel right? It made me wonder if they even cleaned the floor which I’m guessing they did not the entire three days we stayed there.
2.) As soon, as I got in the shower I noticed a couple of strands of hair that were not mine, I’m pretty sure they were from previous guest EWWWWW! So again we basically wore flip flops everywhere in the room.
3.) I usually bring my own shampoos, etc., but noticed they did not throw away the half used body wash that was nicely placed back on the sink in the bathroom. Again, EWWWW!
4.) On one of the days when we got back from the beach they cleaned the room but did not replenish the towels. So we couldn’t take a shower, this wasn’t too bad as we only waited about 20 minutes for them to bring new ones, but in the scheme of things how do you forget the towels?
5.) The next day we had towels, but no wash cloths, and the cleaning crew never emptied our trash, which again didn’t help my theory of a not so bueno/nonexistent cleaning service.

The Ugly:
1.) As other reviewers have written the service is either slow or nonexistent at the front desk. When we arrived Tatiana would barely look up at us. My friend had already arrived earlier and was told our room was not ready, fine because she was early but when I arrived after 5pm and Tatiana said our room was still not ready (check in is at 4:00pm). I logically asked when it would be ready? Instead of answering my question she proceeded to talk to someone who just bombarded the front desk with questions. Instead of saying, please wait I am checking them in at the moment, she proceeded to speak to the other guest. I guess I have to learn Portuguese because apparently with her that’s the only way you will get things done.
2.) Then I asked her about the hotels Price Match guarantee as we had submitted a form when we booked at the hotel as I had found a cheaper rate on another travel site. I should have known as we did not receive any type of confirmation, or e-mail from the hotel after submitting the form. She proceeded to tell me that they had no such service even though it is written plain as day on their website. At that point James jumped in and basically saved us from having to speak to a manager. Especially because we were obviously new guest and not acknowledging and rudely ignoring us to speak to other hotel guests is a no no in hotel service etiquette 101.
3.) Technically Tatiana and James checked us in, but I know my friend handed her card to Tatiana to put a $50 charge for incidentals, well when we checked out we were told she would get the $50 back, but when she checked to see if the charge had been removed she saw a $500.00 PENDING CHARGE!!! Of course when she called the hotel back (literally from the taxi to the airport), no one was answering. It took another 30 minutes to get a hold of someone and be guaranteed that the charges would be removed.

There you have it, there is more, but this basically highlights our stay at The Pestana. Will I stay there again? No. Did I still have a great time with friends in South Beach? Yes! That’s what really matters, and in 20 years I probably won’t even remember the hotels name.

3 Thank Colochita12
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I liked this hotel mainly because it has recently opened and therefore everything was new. The bed, bed linen, towels, robes were all of good quality and clean. The bedrooms are simply fitted out, (for example, the wardrobe just had a curtain and no door) however they are clean and a reasonable size. I thought a seat in the bedroom would have been useful to put clothes on etc.

The parking is in a public park about a 3 or 4 minute walk away and is quite expensive. I'm not sure if there was vaet parking but it was not advertised.

The downside to this hotel was:

1. there is only one lift which is painfully slow. Be prepared to wait a long time for the lift to arrive.
2. the sound proofing between the rooms and the hall is non-existent. You can hear every whisper in the hallway.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lifts as the sound proofing in the room is non-existent.
3 Thank loungeseeker