“The best place!!”

Posh South Beach Hostel
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Honestly.... Never thought I would stay in a hostel ever... Most of all... Never thought I would write a good review about any of them... BUT this place made me want to write one!!! Absolutely great!!! Everything!!! I'm sooooo picky!!! This place is super very clean!!!! People staying there are sooooo respectful!!! (Meaning...they re quiet and clean and so polite!!;-) I'm so happy I've found a place so perfect for good and respectful travelers!!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Céline L
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hello there Celine L,

Thank you so much for sharing your lovely 5 star feedback! We are extremely glad to read that your stay with us was enjoyable! We offer a great time, at an unbeatable price with great amenities! Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Reviewed January 25, 2014

I checked into the for a 6 night stay upon arrival (at noon) I was firstly unempressed with its lack of signage and no real way to get into the hostel other than a coded door. I was able to get help from the front desk guy at the adjacent hotel. The check in attendant was not helpful with checking me in early which was understandable. When george arrived he told gabe to check us in even though the system was "down". Gabe stayed and helped george get us checked in. My first bed was in the main room which was not very private but I was able to get moved a couple of days after. I actually met some really nice people from all over the world here and I really enjoyed the experience until I had a run in with George the "manager". A guy who stayed in the hostel from Texas decided to check out of this hostel and go to another one for the weekend. Him, myself and another guest here decided to go on a sight seeing tour. The tour was extended longer than we thought and by the time we got back the hostel he wanted to stay in was booked. Earlier in the day the guy at the desk told him he could keep his belongings on my bed until he left. Later in the day when we got back from the tour and this guy found out the other hostel was booked we got back to posh I gave him my keycard in order to go back up and get his stuff from my bed so that we could find him a new place to stay I sat downstairs and waited for him. Whe he came back down he told me he got yelled at by george for going to get his stuff and was told he was banned from the hostel and could never come back again EVER. He sat down there and looked for another place but everything was booked and even though the posh had beds availiable george would not let him check back in. He came to me and had me follow him down to my bed. He pointed at this guys stuff and asked why was it there and told me I was "working against him" He then told me to get the stuff and put it outside and told me he was going to kick me out as well. Me and this particular guest were always quiet and friendly and never tried to do anything against the rules. George told me if he was him again he would call the police and if I didnt "Shut up" I would be kicked out as well. The guy was from Texas and was essentially homeless. Fearful for being kicked out as well with only one night left I decided to keep my mouth shut and stop the confrontation. After this incident I will not stay at Posh again. This manager was WAY out of line and needs to be retrianed. As a manager myself I know what is the right way to handle situations and he did not do a good job dealing with this.... which wasnt even anything way out of line. It was just a friend helping a friend that was in need I did nothing wrong and neither did he. Oh by the way before this happened he had stayed there trouble free 5 nights!!! Long story short posh is a nice hostel it is clean has some awesome staff (Gabe, Monica who was my absolute favorite and Evette) and some very very nice maides. But the Manager George is not very pleasent towards some people. I sometimes felt like George wanted to be more of a high school principal or some sort of aministrator and forgets hes dealing with PAYING adult GUESTS. Afterall we pay his paycheck. The location is great. He also ate at the desk and was doing this while checking in guests. Not impressed at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the back
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank teebyrd
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2014

Hello teebyrd,

Thank you so much for taking your time to share your feedback with us! I am extremely sorry to read that your stay with us was not a 5 star one! I spoke with the George and he indeed recalled this situation. He informed me that you were going in after a group of girls, after you had already checked out. Once a guest from our hostel has checked out they are no longer able to be inside the hostel. George asked you why you were still here and you continued to walk, and ignored him. George was checking in guests and stopped for a moment to go after you when you had exited the hostel. He noticed that you had left your belongings on the bed next to the one you were staying in. Two hours later George was doing his rounds and noticed that your belongings in the bed again. He informed the guy that was staying in bed #3 that he wanted your belongings out, as he had seen you with him before. You had then showed up stating that you wanted to make a new reservation and that is when George escorted you out.

Reviewed January 22, 2014

Short Version: Absolute horrid service, very rude employees, and very bad amenities for the price - if you can stay at another hostel with provided meals (posh doesn't) then stay there. you will have more fun and save $$.

Well it all started with me calling the Hostel repeatedly because they didn't answer when my flight landed - the shuttle didn't show up in the location that it said online. They finally answered and I was put on hold for over 10 min to then be told that the shuttle was in time and that it would be there again in an hour... it showed up minutes later and I almost missed it by going inside to wait. THEN when we arrived I couldn't find the Posh because it is in an unlabeled building with a side door w/ absolutely no signage. I was then told that the system was down and they had to call in my card for the charges which took about an hour in total (and the guy was extremely rude the entire time while I was trying to be understanding).

it gets better - I was there with my fiance and we are not publicly affectionate AT ALL... we were sitting on my bed one afternoon watching an episode of dexter on my laptop via NetFlix.... they told us that we couldn't be sitting on the same bed together at all at any times and rudely threatened to kick us out of the hostel... wow. I asked one day if breakfast was served on Saturdays and if so what time... I was told by the manager "just like every other day" in the rudest tone ever.

Breakfast? More like cheap bread that you can toast and cream cheese....

Upon checkout I was told that everything would be charged and refunded upon checkout... Well here we are 14 days since my checkout and I haven't gotten my security deposit of $100 back nor have I been charged for the reservation yet.... what kind of business is this?

Room Tip: Stay in a different hostel with provided meals for a better price and you'll have more fun.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank kyle C
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Good Evening kyle C,

Thank you so much for your honest and extensive feedback, regarding your recent stay with us! We are extremely sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time here! I apologize for the mislead information regarding our shuttle service. Unfortunately we have had an issue with our system, and are working the best that we can under such circumstances. We offer a light breakfast here at Posh, and it's nothing too fancy. There is a lovely kitchen that you can cook your favorite breakfast meals. There are also many restaurants around the property that serve delicious food. The security deposit is released immediately upon checking out from Posh. If you have not gotten these funds back you will need to contact your bank regarding this. They are the ones that will have to release the funds back onto your account. We are sorry that your stay was less then enjoyable.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Upfront, this was the worst place I stayed in all of the USA after three weeks of travelling. Indeed, there are many positives to the South Beach Hostel - it is clean (although the new building probably makes this easier), breakfast, location, pool, and a pretty trendy looking common room with guest facilities.

But a deeper look into this hostel reveals a more concerning reality that guests should be warned about. Firstly, the hostel layout chiefly consists of two main dormitories with approximately 30 people in each. The reality of this layout means that it is pretty much impossible to have any privacy or enjoy a quiet night sleep at any time (especially if you are catching an early flight). You can essentially hear every movement throughout the dormitory, particularly the opening and closing of the metal lockers located below each bed. Secondly, these approximately 60 guests use the same bathroom facilities (male and female - which may be confronting for some). More importantly, a simple equation soon reveals that there is about 1 toilet/shower for every 15 guests (something that most would consider unacceptable). Moreover, the physical layout of these facilities is poorly constructed in order to maximise space - the doors on most toilets barely close because the cubicles are so small. Finally, the staff. Being from a different country, I have been entirely impressed with the service quality in the USA (in most places, it is outstanding). However, the staff at the Posh South Beach Hostel do not go out of their way to ensure guest comfort. The hostel is difficult to locate - the bottom floor doesn't even exist and there are no signs. I repeatedly saw the manager turn away early guests prior to the check-in time (but not even present an alternative solution such as a recommended tour/visit or offer to secure their bags in the meantime). The check-in is incredibly slow and the staff are rarely friendly - instead constantly reassuring you that the hostel is 'really great... its so very clean'. Unfortunately, service means more than cleanliness.

In the end, the hostel is workable. But just consider the other factors prior to spending any substantial period of time there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hello there USA_TRAVELLER2014,

Thank you for sharing your honest and extensive feedback with us! We are extremely sorry that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! We are indeed a hostel and hostels are normally mixed rooms with many beds in them. I will make sure to inform the General Manager about your comments regarding the bathroom and toilet area. Our front desk agents would never turn guests away, unless they have stayed with us previously and didn't abide by our rules and regulations. Unfortunately we have had issues with our system lately causing it to take a bit longer for our agents to do their work efficiently. We are doing the best that we can to work under such circumstances. Our IT department is doing everything that they can to resolve this issue as soon as possible. We are terribly sorry that your stay with us was less then enjoyable.

Reviewed January 4, 2014

I had nothing but fun and good experiences at this hostel even though, yes, my knees hit the doors in the toilets, the gap between the doors was strange, even though I could make out and some obscured figures through the frosted shower glass (but we're all naked anyway, who cares?) and even though I had to sleep without any real privacy. But people it's a HOSTEL, you have to compromise. The place is very modern, to hotel standards. The beds are comfortable and yes the smaller room with eight or so bunks is the best and more private but the main dorm is just like in any other hostel. It can be noisy down there so *please* for your own sake wear earplugs. I've slept in both areas and either was doable. The AC was by far the most-complained about thing, it was far too cold for us but then when we closed the vents we all overheated. So it's not as easy as just turning it off. The showers were perfectly fine while I was there, never a queue and good enough. Toilets while at first daunting as they are not completely enclosed - I assume for cleaning purposes - were always clean. The staff were fine - including the cleaners - especially George and Yvette on the front desk. Several times I just sad and chatted with them. Compared to other hostels I've stayed in this has been the most organised and comfortable. It is not a party hostel - there is no bar on the premises, but next door (with free drinks from 7-8pm nightly mind you) and the atmosphere is more subdued. You get a basic breakfast with cereal, toast and coffee. It's more about having a safe and clean place to rest than for partying. I would definitely stay again, for the price it was a huge bargain. The one thing I would really, really suggest the management do is look at the charging situation. Everyone was constantly wanting to charge devices but there is no secure way to do this as all the wall outlets are in public places. The best solution I've seen is a chargig port in each bedframe but maybe an easier one would be a free lockable charging tower like you see at airports. The location I won't comment on as it's obviously top-notch.

1  Thank zteu
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Hello zteu,

We appreciate when guests provide us with their outstanding feedback! We are extremely glad to know that you stay with us was a 5 star one! We offer a great up beat hostel, with money saving amenities in an unbeatable location. There is not much else you can ask for. Our staff work hard to make sure that everyone is having a memorable time, and that the grounds of the hostel are well maintained. We hope that you make us your go-to hostel when visiting South Beach! We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

This hostel was far better than others i visited around the area, the bunk beds are newer and more modern
Was very clean, the average age group was more adequate for a 30 yr old traveller like myself, the other hostel had only students in their 20's

You get laundry machines right inside there, so that's a huge plus, a bit exensive though (2$ to wash and 1.75$ to dry...)

Very close to the beach, laundry machines in the hostel, close to all kinds of retail stores, close to 7-eleven, walking distance to everything!

Things i didn't like:
1-The air conditioner was way too cold, and my blanket that i had was not adequate (granted i did not ask for a different blanket, nor did i ask to put the AC down, yes i could've...)
2-I got my swim shorts stolen inside the common bathroom, some one else got their iPhone charger stolen, did not feel safe
3- I was in a bed which was located right off the stairs to go back upstairs, and the EXIT sign was very bothersome with its bright GREEN lighting
4-Staff always asked us to be quieter at night, however they went around our beds with their walkie-talkie on full volume during the night (yes i could've used the earplugs they provide)
5-Some people that we met got "better" accommodation and got put in a closed room that was quieter, i didn't even know such an option existed, it would've been nice to be offered this room
6-Toilet leg space was the worst thing in this hostel, i'm 6' and it was a struggle every day, although in the other quieter room, there was another toilet which had adequate space, but I only got to know about it on the last day
7-Little hot water while taking a shower (yes i like hot showers, lol)
8-Would've been nice to have water bottles or a water fountain at least, water is essential IMO

Room Tip: Ask for the the "other" rooms, where there is a door that closes and go to the "other...
2  Thank iamshazi
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Posh South Beach Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

HAPPY NEW YEAR iamshazi,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us, and all of our future guests! Our hostel is definitely modern and very updated. Our staff works hard to make sure that the hostel is clean and that everyone is enjoying their time spent with us. We inform guests to keep a good eye on their belongings as we cannot control what our guests are doing at all times. Constructive feedback such as yours allows us to make the necessary changes we need to, in order to keep our guests content and returning.

Reviewed December 27, 2013

When you first arrive, you'll get a nice tour around the hostel. They show you the beds, bathrooms and showers and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. So do that. Ask.

Ask, if you can change your bed to a more private area. Most of the beds are TOTALLY without privacy, not posh at all, they have people walking by all the time, lights coming in (you're not allowed to place towels, linen etc. to make a 'cave' get privacy - the cleaning staff will tear everything down all the time, everyday).

The cleaning staff are incredibly unfriendly - I only meet one that was willing to give me a fresh and new towel without giving me an unfriendly attitude.
Yeah, you get a towel, a very very small one. So if you wanna try out Posh, you should really bring or buy your own towel.

There are two shower sections at Posh. One with room for 3 people. Posh call it 'private showers', but they're not. The are divided by linen and are not complete, so you can easily see other people shower - and the room itself is very small and intense.
After having my first shower in that room, I decided to drop that room and go for the other shower section with 6 showers divided by glass (!) - frosted glass, when it gets wet, you can see the person next to you. Not 100% clearly - but enough to see what the person is doing and if it's a boy or girl. Nothing posh about the shower situation at Posh. At all.

The toilet situation is bad as well. You can either choose a very very very small toilet - or a bigger one with double wing doors that people can look though (if they really want to).

If you shower, going to the toilet, using the hair dryer etc., please be aware that all the sounds goes clearly into the bed areas. So everybody can follow your move. Not posh.

Since I'm in Miami in the holiday season, I can't find a cheaper place for all the days. If I could, I would have moved out asap.

Bring your earplugs, because the level of sound can be high at night.
Beds are not as great memory foam, as Posh describe. The mattresses are very thin.
The private storage (under your bed) is very good and seems safe with the lock.

The hostel itself is nice looking and Posh - but the functionality is bad. Posh used to be two penthouses. It's not suited for 40-50 people, if they want to be posh. It's just not possible,

The kitchen and washing machines are perfect. The pool is very nice. Small, but nice.

Even if it's cheap, I don't think it's worth it.
If you want to check it out anyway, just book 1 night only.. And then see.
I'm 100% not spending my next time in Miami at "Posh".

All best and enjoy your Miami stay

1  Thank WhiteWhite22

Hello there WhiteWhite22,

Thank you so much for the time you took to provide us with your extensive feedback! I am extremely sorry that your time spent with us was not a positive one! Unfortunately we are a hostel and not a hotel therefore our beds are all in one room. I am sorry that you found our cleaning staff to not be friendly. I will make sure to inform the General Manager about this. We are working on correcting the showers. Though situations like yours are rare, it is something we must always be vigilant about as we continually try to enrich your stay with the best boutique experience in South Beach.