“Dissatisfied. Would never come back.”

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #100 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Exeter, New Hampshire, USA
“Dissatisfied. Would never come back.”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were initially impressed with the welcome we received when we got to the hotel. We initially asked for an oceanfront room prior to arriving. After seeing that the oceanfront room wasn't really all that (and was quite tiny), we asked to be put back in a loft king suite ocean view. All went well until we came back from dinner the on our first night when we saw a bag of opened chips AND licorice from the mini bar. The manager Matthew (who was incredibly nice) reassured us that we were safe and that the room is secure, apparently the housekeeping brought the trash from ANOTHER room (FAIL!). During the same stay, our door was left open by housekeeping after cleaning service so we essentially came back to an unlocked room (2nd FAIL of the stay). We complained about these and the manager reassured us that we were safe. He gave us free drinks and lunch "to put things behind us". On our last night, we came back from an evening out and all our change was missing from the room (this was after turndown service). It couldn't have been more than $5 or $10 but the point is, if you're paying such a premium for this hotel, one should NEVER have missing $$. The manager also guaranteed that no charges from the minibar will post to our account since we weren't the ones who ate the chips and licorice (and as above, these reportedly came from another room and brought over by housekeeping)--but they did, and I had to ask for them to remove them. They removed both, but another charge reposted to my account. I think the worst part is when I emailed the Executive Vice President of Operation and Technology of Denihan Hospitality Group and had absolutely no response--I sent the email a week ago. Needless to say, we would never come back and will advise our friends to avoid The James Royal Palm. It's too bad because this place had a lot of potential. Except they failed. Multiple times. Rating this place as terrible does not even begin to cover it.

4 Thank Joseph B
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
I was disappointed to read your review and felt that through the interactions you had with our Team Members on property that we were able to assist and respond to your issues while you were here with us. Upon receiving your personal email, I forwarded your information to our Corporate Office and hope that you have received the personal follow up that you requested. I will certainly follow up with them to ensure you have had the response you were due. Thank you for staying with us and I apologize for any shortcomings.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (568)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
ghent, belgium
Reviewed January 18, 2014

- There are a lot of problems with the sound in the rooms, luckily the staff was helpfull and willing to solve our issues
- I can't understand why there is an extra resort tax (even if you don't use the beach or pool) (is as if you have to pay extra for your bathroom)! Just get the right price!
- Furniture in the hotel lobby is fancy, but the lobby is not cosy, you don't want to stay there!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank dirkGhent_Belgium
Eddie T, Asst Genral Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
We appreciate your comments however it is disappointing to see that you did not enjoy your stay. The Resort Charge includes chaise lounges on the beach and the pool deck with towels, triple filtered water throughout your stay as well as WIFI and the James Beach Box that each guest receives when enjoying the outside activities. Many of the hotels in South Beach assess this charge and I apologize if it was not made clear to you at the time of booking. I hope you will return in the future to stay with us.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Recently refurbished. Great service. Modern. Comfortable. Great location on south beach. Great place to stay for a weekend or a week. Room spacious. Staff nice. Bar and restaurant excellent good and service. Pool really nice. East access to beach and walking/running/nuking path.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank lorichait
Thank you for the wonderful comments. We appreciate that you took the time to detail your experiences and we hope that you will return in the future.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2014

We were unimpressed with this hotel from the moment we arrived, knowing extra charges were a commonplace everywhere in Miami I didn't let it deter me because the hotel is in fact very beautiful and clean. It was when our stay got interrupted by a blaring alarm from no emergency for over an hour and a half straight causing my other guest a headache, I was fit to be tied. She was unable to go out that night because of this and when morning came to, we went straight to the front desk. They were nice enough to suggest taking $100 off the bill but that wasn't good enough. Her whole night was ruined and when you stay at an over $400 standard room on a Saturday night you expect a lot more. Michael, the front desk manager was an absolute angel. He was so courteous and professional, offering us a free brunch as well, which was delicious! Another manager in the dining area whose name I did not catch was also extremely apologetic. She was nice enough to converse with us for a bit about how beautiful Miami is and how much she loved her job. The staff in dining was on point, our waiters were fabulous but what made it an even better was our beach side waiter Steven (Irish and Spanish young man), whom saved the day! He was so friendly and fun, keeping us entertained while doing an excellent job of keeping ours, and his other guests drinks full. He made me and my girlfriend feel special, which is certainly hard to do while taking care of that many other guests! Steven was a professional and made our day! These resolutions to our problems really made me give this hotel a 'Very Good' rating. They know how to make and keep people happy, which is why I would definitely return and of course recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lauren F
Thank you for telling us about your stay and especially for pointing out the service recovery from Michael and Steven. They are certainly valued Team Members and I am happy to hear they were able to turn a negative experience around for you. I apologize for the alarm disturbance you had to deal. I hope that you will come back to stay with us when you are in the South Beach area in the future.
New York
Reviewed January 16, 2014

So Eddie T. Asst manager.. You do such a good job of responding to people when they write negative reviews.You need to really pay attention to the problem of housekeeping in this hotel. Make some changes or nobody will want to stay here. Housekeeping should not be showing up at 5pm day after day.. i should not have to beg for tissues and toilet paper after they have left.. or pillow cases. What is the deal in your hotel that there are no pillow cases on the pillows and i have to call down 4 times until finally at 11pm i get some?And guest services yell at me when I lose my patience with them. They should have brought up the pillow cases themselves at that point. The coffee maker was great but replace the coffee i have used each day so I can make more. The fact that I only got creamer on our last 2 days is not even worth my words. No soap in my shower or bathroom? Nobody cleans the bathroom mirrors......come on! Hotel is great. Please get with the program. I would never return.

Room Tip: we had an amazing two bedroom suite that was quiet and spacious and great storage. Great views. No b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank faige
I was very disappointed to hear of the issues you had in obtaining the items from a simple request such as pillow cases. That is certainly not acceptable and I have spoken with the departments involved to ensure that this issue has been corrected. I apologize that you did not have the experience that you should have and would hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you our true service standards in the future.
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My fiance and I went in November, 2013. We were so excited! The James in Chicago is awesome, and we had high hopes.

At first glance, the James is phenomenal South Beach-y heaven... but, unfortunately, that's where it stops...

The service is WELL below par. At the beach, it takes approximately 45 minutes to get a drink (I had read this in a review before and was ready, but couldn't really believe it when it was happening). At the pool, it's almost impossible to have a waiter come to you. One day, the weather was kind of cool so we hung out at the hot tub with about 10 other people. Despite three waiters hanging out at the bar about 15 feet away, no one came over. We were forced to go get our own drinks and bring them back... Really?

For all those who love the sun - the pool is completely shaded in the afternoon as well.

Unbeknownst to me, we also got engaged that weekend. A concierge, (I won't name him), was helping my fiance. During the engagement, he took photos, which he promised to send. We called for two days after asking to come to him and get the photos (I was worried about email quality). Something always "came up." After we left, he finally sent us 6 photos. We thanked him, but knew that we took more and called/emailed him several times for the rest. He said he would look, but never got back to us. Eventually we decided the unanswered emails and calls were pointless. This behavior is how I generally viewed the entire service aspect at the James - all glitz with no actual return (by the way my fiance paid him - he asked for cash - for everything). What a shame..

The food is good, and the drinks were also up to par. Of course, they were expensive, but that's what you expect for South Beach. Beware for all Sough Beach newbies - tips are typically included with ALL purchases!

The rooms were nice, but the outdoor hallways were kind of dirty... trash and spills around (probably from partiers). I would imagine a little more care would go into it considering the supposed prestige.

Overall, for the price, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristina K
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I was upset to hear that you did not get the information and pictures from the Concierge regarding your engagement. I did speak with those involved and they stated that all the pictures that were taken had been sent to you. I apologize if there was any issue to where you would not have received them. I hope you will return in the future should your travels bring you to South Beach.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Absolutely outstanding experience from start to finish; had none of the issues that have been brought up lately in other reviews. The hotel itself couldn't be in a better location, and the design is stylish and chic without being uncomfortable. The highlight by far though was the service. Everyone went out of their way to ensure me and my guests had a perfect experience, from the beach chair attendants to the front desk to the valet. I even requested an absurdly early check-in (9am! We had come off a cruise ship) and the room was ready which was such a treat. The pool seems undersized for the size of the hotel but we had no problem getting chairs in the morning. By far the best hotel I've enjoyed in South Beach: less stuffy than the Ritz, less snooty than Delano/Shore Club/Setai, better situated than W/Fontainebleu. Highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
What a lovely review! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to tell us about your experiences and to comment on the service you received. We do try to provide this experience to all of our guests and look forward to having you return.