Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“so much potential”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

So Eddie T. Asst manager.. You do such a good job of responding to people when they write negative reviews.You need to really pay attention to the problem of housekeeping in this hotel. Make some changes or nobody will want to stay here. Housekeeping should not be showing up at 5pm day after day.. i should not have to beg for tissues and toilet paper after they have left.. or pillow cases. What is the deal in your hotel that there are no pillow cases on the pillows and i have to call down 4 times until finally at 11pm i get some?And guest services yell at me when I lose my patience with them. They should have brought up the pillow cases themselves at that point. The coffee maker was great but replace the coffee i have used each day so I can make more. The fact that I only got creamer on our last 2 days is not even worth my words. No soap in my shower or bathroom? Nobody cleans the bathroom mirrors......come on! Hotel is great. Please get with the program. I would never return.

Room Tip: we had an amazing two bedroom suite that was quiet and spacious and great storage. Great views. No b...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank faige
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
I was very disappointed to hear of the issues you had in obtaining the items from a simple request such as pillow cases. That is certainly not acceptable and I have spoken with the departments involved to ensure that this issue has been corrected. I apologize that you did not have the experience that you should have and would hope that you will give us the opportunity to show you our true service standards in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

My fiance and I went in November, 2013. We were so excited! The James in Chicago is awesome, and we had high hopes.

At first glance, the James is phenomenal South Beach-y heaven... but, unfortunately, that's where it stops...

The service is WELL below par. At the beach, it takes approximately 45 minutes to get a drink (I had read this in a review before and was ready, but couldn't really believe it when it was happening). At the pool, it's almost impossible to have a waiter come to you. One day, the weather was kind of cool so we hung out at the hot tub with about 10 other people. Despite three waiters hanging out at the bar about 15 feet away, no one came over. We were forced to go get our own drinks and bring them back... Really?

For all those who love the sun - the pool is completely shaded in the afternoon as well.

Unbeknownst to me, we also got engaged that weekend. A concierge, (I won't name him), was helping my fiance. During the engagement, he took photos, which he promised to send. We called for two days after asking to come to him and get the photos (I was worried about email quality). Something always "came up." After we left, he finally sent us 6 photos. We thanked him, but knew that we took more and called/emailed him several times for the rest. He said he would look, but never got back to us. Eventually we decided the unanswered emails and calls were pointless. This behavior is how I generally viewed the entire service aspect at the James - all glitz with no actual return (by the way my fiance paid him - he asked for cash - for everything). What a shame..

The food is good, and the drinks were also up to par. Of course, they were expensive, but that's what you expect for South Beach. Beware for all Sough Beach newbies - tips are typically included with ALL purchases!

The rooms were nice, but the outdoor hallways were kind of dirty... trash and spills around (probably from partiers). I would imagine a little more care would go into it considering the supposed prestige.

Overall, for the price, I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kristina K
Thank you for telling us about your stay. I was upset to hear that you did not get the information and pictures from the Concierge regarding your engagement. I did speak with those involved and they stated that all the pictures that were taken had been sent to you. I apologize if there was any issue to where you would not have received them. I hope you will return in the future should your travels bring you to South Beach.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Absolutely outstanding experience from start to finish; had none of the issues that have been brought up lately in other reviews. The hotel itself couldn't be in a better location, and the design is stylish and chic without being uncomfortable. The highlight by far though was the service. Everyone went out of their way to ensure me and my guests had a perfect experience, from the beach chair attendants to the front desk to the valet. I even requested an absurdly early check-in (9am! We had come off a cruise ship) and the room was ready which was such a treat. The pool seems undersized for the size of the hotel but we had no problem getting chairs in the morning. By far the best hotel I've enjoyed in South Beach: less stuffy than the Ritz, less snooty than Delano/Shore Club/Setai, better situated than W/Fontainebleu. Highly recommend!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
What a lovely review! Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to tell us about your experiences and to comment on the service you received. We do try to provide this experience to all of our guests and look forward to having you return.
Miami
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Nice room overlooking the beach, cross the path to the beach, at walking distance from shopping to lincoln rd and collins, little pool restaurant...nice for a weekend on SOB, will return. Probably too pricey for the size of the room

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
thank you for telling us about your experiences and for the review. We appreciate that you enjoyed the facilities and hope that you will return soon.
Miami Beach
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I have answered everything and I have nothing to add. You need to assess and improve the services. The location is good and reception space and wifi free. The decoration of leisure facilities within the hotel is good.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for telling us about your stay. I hope that you have been able to receive the information you were requesting. We hope to have you as our guest again in the future.
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We had a beautiful room with a view of the city that was hard to beat!!
The concierge was fabulous and helped us plan a variety of activities and meals that where first rate…The Hotel is quaint, upscale , and very expensive, but of course this is South Beach!!! So, if "upscale' is what you are looking for…this Hotel would be my choice.

Room Tip: we had a corner room in the tower which had lots of light. The bathroom was interesting in that it h...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding your stay with us. It is always a pleasure to hear that we met your expectations and provided you with the service which you have come to expect from The James. We hope to see you back in the future.
Chicago
Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Not a bad hotel from a design and style standpoint but wow, unbearable service. Think 45 minutes for any request. Soap 45 min. Corkscrew 45 min. Pillows (yes, no pillows on the bed) 45 min. Nice staff but I think they need more of them. And beware the club below the west tower. Opens at 11 pm and closes at 5 am. Free earplugs are the answer. The under-staffed staff are really nice, but try someplace else in SoBe.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments. While we never want to hear that we did not meet your expectations, we listen to your comments and do our best to learn by them. Thank you again and we hope you will visit us again in the future.