New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #93 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami Beach
“Great little Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We were very surprised by the quality of this hotel. It is a unique find in the busy world of Miami outside. Everything about it was nice. Our room was "funky" and very pleasant. However the size of the room don't lend themselves to a long stay, they are comfortable but small, very European. The only negative was the price of drinks in the lobby bar, it seemed like everything you ordered cost $20.50, so my suggestion is BYOB

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for the review. It was nice to hear that you enjoyed the property. I hope that you will return soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (501)
  • Korean first
Santiago, Dominican Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Im afraid to give this review because I know that the hotel is grate but I'm going to try to be fair and give our experience, first than all I wanted to impress my wife after 2 years without vacations because she gave birth to our daughter and she deserved something special so I booked 2 nights on priceline and got the perry (she liked more than this) that was under construction so I felt disappointed and then booked the next 5 nights on the Perry to make up the disaster of the first 2 nights but let me tell you that was a mistake.

The hotel is trendy and nice as appointed but we got a room that was a corner 524 and it is as small as a cruise cabin, then we suppose to have a turn bed at evening but we didn't got it and didn't bother to us but what really disappoints is that we only have our room cleaning just one day, every time that we go to our room on the afternoon the room was like we have left on the morning then about 6 PM they asked to clean the room an we were on private things so we just said to forget it... we didn't mind to use over and over the towels, but a few dollars more in maids will make a difference.

On the beach we had a very nice place with towels and a basket with water and fruits to refresh also the service was great & friendly there, those guys work very hard and diligently to give the guest a great experience under the sun. Plenty of gals in thongs and topless something that we really enjoyed and the main reason that we chose SoBe.

The pool and the hot tube were a little small for the size of the hotel and sometimes the kids were a little noisy at the hot tube but this didn't bother us at all. The location was a good asset it is just a flocks from Lincoln rode and the mall so you can have a nice walking at night. There is a walgreens about a corner from the hotels so you can buy toiletries or groceries if needed.

The personal is very friendly and the internet it is very good, one afternoon I had to work and worked like at my office.

Room Tip: Try to don't get a corner they are small
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
Thanks for telling us about your stay. I apologize that you received your housekeeping service later in the day. We have many guests that choose to sleep in so we do have to schedule housekeeping from 8am till 6pm and sometimes that means guests get service later than they would like. In the future, please feel free to call our Guest request line and request earlier service and we will ensure that your room is refreshed earlier in the day. I am so sorry that this was not to your satisfaction. I hope that if you visit with us again, we are able to provide you with a more enjoyable stay.
Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

This chic hotel, in the middle of trendy South Beach, is quite comfortable. The staff is courteous and professional. Great air conditioning - always a must in south Florida, works well. The décor is modern/art deco, really a treat, a feast for the eyes. Our room is really large, with a very comfy king size bed. The mid-three hundred dollar a night price tag per room, I suppose is par for the area, but I'm not crazy about $39 additional per night to park the car, nor do I like the $21 additional "fee" to sit at the hotel's pool or to enjoy the "free" coffee in the room.

Room Tip: It seems that rooms with a balcony are quite a bit smaller than those without.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visit to the hotel. Your comments are appreciated and I look forward to sharing them with the Team. I hope you will be back to stay with us again in the near future.
Miami Beach
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

Near Ocean drive, direct access to the beach. Great view! Nice trendy rooms and Swimming pool. Had room on the 17th floor, great view to the beach, Ocean Drive and Miami skyline. And the best: shower / bathroom with the same great view. Very friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks for taking the time to call out the positive attitude of staff members who assisted during your stay. It is always appreciated when we get a nice review and we thank you for both staying with us and for the review. Come back and stay with us again soon.
Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Check in:
Pro- lasted mere seconds, very fast. Only asked for ID & CC
Con- held an additional $$150/nt on my Amex when I was told that it'd be $100 per night. Misinforming or lack thereof was the tone for our stay.

Room:
Pro: 1st room, nice & cozy, great view
Con: oh the smell!!!! It wasn't mildew it was much worse. Much.

Pro: 2 br suite , upgrade will cost you but sweeping views of the ocean. Ah-mazing the bed is so ridiculously comfortable you can't even imagine.
Con: Light bulbs out, couch broken, mystery items behind the bed that a guest some time ago must've lost. And OH THE DUST! Don't look under, behind, around the furniture. No room service menu. Had to call and ask for it. Was provided with one ( Word document) instantly held together by a paper clip. Housekeeping shows up at 8AM. Use the do not disturb!!!!

Food:
Pro: Florida Cookery on site
Con: Hit or miss. Only enjoyed the grits. The continental breakfast seemed to be very sparse in options.
Some employees said breakfast ended at 11:30. Heard a guest claim of being told to ended at noon and he'd waited patiently for 2 minutes to be served at 11:33

Front desk:
Pro: 89% of them are excellent. Very happy and eager to help. Michael G. the Manager truly awesome. Gets no better. Great team player. He kept me from checking out. Seriously. Lowes started looking real good after that hellacious smell.
Con: Employees don't wear name tags, so you are limited on using whatever info they provided to you as a reference. While at the front desk, I overheard a young lady say to an older couple, " I don't understand you!" Because they were speaking Spanish. They couldn't get in their room and she didn't understand the room number. Had another one ask me if someone "Sunt" past tense of sent???? me something to my room. Jeez. If they don't answer the phone it may require a trip downstairs (trust me). This happened to me & I found 4 young ladies just kind of chilling when I had been calling for 5 minutes.

Pool:
Pro: Heavenly, but busy. There are TWO pools, TWO. DOS! More shade at the bigger pool.
Con: I only found out about a second pool by looking at TA.....3 days later. Called to inquire and Julio said it was adults only. Hmmmm. Sign says children need to be accompanied by adult. Which is it? Spotty pool service. Told a pool guy I was headed to pool, literally, 43 minutes ago. He's still not here & neither are his colleagues. As I type this he shows up, for someone else. How lovely? 51 minutes later....I have a towel.

Spa:
Pro: Quiet, serene good massage, check the web page for deals, dried fruits & teas available while you wait. Exfoliation on sun deck following service.
Con: Reserved on the net but no follow up call to confirm, as promised. The nice masseuse tried to sell me everything she thought I needed from start to finish. The salt soak for your feet? Epsom salt & lukewarm water. Asked to add additional 15 minutes for an additional cost during massage.

Valet:
Pro: 95% attentive will greet you immediately. There is an older tall gentleman with silver hair that is so incredibly nice & accommodating. They should keep him. I need to get his name. Will get you a taxi if necessary.
Con: there's a small percentage that'll ignore you.

Kids:
Pro: Lil James located on the second floor in the Lania building. Loads of stuff to do. Including a movie, Finding Nemo. Board games but if you have the one kid not real helpful. Many books to read in Spanish & English. It would've been great to know this was here during rainy days. Apples & OJ in the kitchen. It is unsupervised but offers items for crafts & books.
Cons: Unsupervised no paper towels if the painting gets out of hand. No way to clean up your kid's mess.

Location:
Pro- Close to Lincoln & many food, shopping options. Great if you want true SoBe experience.
Con: none really.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 13Heart
Thank you for the extremely detailed review. You have given us some great information and we are certainly going to review it with the Team to ensure that we learn from the areas of opportunity that you have outlined. thank you for staying with us and for your time in providing your comments.
Delray Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

This was my second time staying at the James. It is a hidden gem. Intimate, cool, yet not pretentious. Staff was friendly and extremely accommodating, the room was beautiful- great decor, clean, and spacious. The view was absolutely mind blowing- I am a Florida native and couldn't stop taking pictures! We had lunch at The Cookery, the meal was delicious. On the beach, wait staff comes around with fruit and water and you can order cocktails and a bite to eat. The hotel is located very close to many fun hot spots.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for the great review. We like to consider ourselves a hidden gem as well. I'm glad you found us. Hurry back to visit with us again.
North Bergen, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

The Hotel Was amazing !!! We stayed at the Royal Palms years ago before it was The James Royal Palms and was not as nice... However just coming back from giving it another try we are so glad we did... From Check in to the Pool Staff and Pool Wait Staff were all amazing... Hotel is beautifully renovated and each employee goes out of there way to help you...
We arrived early around 1030 in the morning and were surprised that our room was ready... This was a huge plus ... We will absolutely be staying there again soon !!! Location is perfect right on the beach and the pool and hot tub is breath taking... Definitely worth visiting

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for the review. How exciting that you used the word "Amazing" to describe the hotel and service you received! Glad you returned after our conversion to The James Royal Palm. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.