Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed October 21, 2013

This hotel is one block from Ocean drive and walking distance from all the fun. The service was awesome...everything was clean...We had a side view of the ocean...the beach was amazing. I had a great time.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank cnfen1
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear that we were able to deliver on your expectations. We look forward to your next stay!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Had a great 4 night stay in mid October. A few general comments and room advice:

SERVICE: Before arriving at the hotel, I emailed reservations on two occasions. Neither of my emails was responded to, although I did receive a "read receipt" for one so I know the emails were received. I also responded to the pre-arrival email from concierge asking if we were celebrating anything special, etc. I responded that it was our wedding anniversary. No reply to my email, and no mention of our anniversary at any point during our stay.

Upon check-in, the customer service was better. The front desk and beach staff went out of their way to know our names and remember us each time we walked by or needed something on the beach. Had limited experience with bar and restaurant staff so can't comment on that. Although staff were incredibly friendly, the follow through on certain things was non existent. For example, we had a question concerning our room rate and was told that someone from reservations would contact us. The next day, the front desk staff asked if we received the call. I said no, and the front desk staff said that reservations had told him they talked with me. I was told reservations would call me again. No call back ever.

On the night of our check-in, we were informed that we were "upgraded" to a one bedroom apartment (we had booked a loft suite). I questioned the room layout and view and the night manager adamantly told me that it had the "best view" and that "it was dark so we wouldn't be able to judge the view until morning" but to "trust her that we would love the room". The one bedroom apartment was larger in terms of square footage, but the layout was odd. Very narrow living room, and bedroom tucked in back with a narrow dark bathroom. The room in general was dark, not much natural light. The "best view" was barely a sliver of the ocean and that was only when craning our necks from the balcony. The major view was of construction below and the roof top HVAC units!

ROOMS: After spending one night in our "upgraded" room, we insisted on a room change to our originally reserved loft suite. We were told that the hotel was sold out and there was nothing available. I was fuming as I had purposely studied the room types and floor plans and I knew what type of room I wanted! I felt like the upgraded room was simply for the benefit of the hotel and not mine (as it clearly was an undesirable room layout and view). I felt like perhaps previous guests had booked the room, hated it and got a room change so we were then assigned the "upgrade" given that our arrival was late at night. The "bait and switch" never feels good.

After waiting for much of our second day, we learned that the room we wanted had "suddenly" opened up. It was the loft suite that we had originally booked and it was PERFECT. Exactly as I had expected based on my research of room types. Ample room for a couple, comfy bed, bright and airy, fresh smell with great views and a window in the bathroom.

Through this experience, I learned that all rooms in the east tower (building closest to ocean) are either standard rooms or basic suites. The few rooms we viewed there were very small, although the ocean front views were spectacular.

The rooms in the west tower which is where we stayed are the loft suites, and apartment suites. IMO, rooms ending in 05 and 07 (for example, 905 and 907) located on the south side of the building have the nicest views as they look directly down Ocean Drive and out to the ocean, and from the left, the ocean view in front of the hotel. I believe both rooms are loft suite style rooms, at least on the floors that we toured. The rooms ending in 02 or 01 (901 or 902) are the one bedroom apartments with the odd layout and dark feel. We also viewed a 2 bedroom apartment and it was FABULOUS! I believe these rooms end in 09 (809, 909). The living room area has a full 180 degree rounded window wall facing the ocean. The bedrooms both had ocean views. It was bright, airy and awesome. Bigger than we needed, but if we stay again with our children, this is the room to book as it had a king master bedroom with walk in shower and a second bedroom with two day beds and its own bathroom.

Loved the Intelligent Nutrients products. Same founder as the Aveda Corp. Created a nice spa-like smell in the room after showering. Bought the products in the gift shop to take home. Surprisingly reasonably priced compared to ordering on-line.

BEACH/PROPERTY: The property is right on the beach, and the resort fee includes use of lounges and towel service. It does NOT include an umbrella. This is $19/day extra.
The resort lobby is very minimalistic and was very quiet at night. We would have preferred a little more action, but were able to find this by walking a few blocks to the SLS lounges or people watching on Ocean Dr and Lincoln Ave.

FOOD: Had breakfast and lunch at Florida Cookery. Both meals were ok, nothing special. Would not dine there if not staying at the hotel and looking for a quick convenient bite to eat. Did not eat at Catch or order room service.

SPA: Emailed a request for a couples massage a few weeks before our stay. Received a phone call from the spa three days later stating no availability. Did visit the spa although had no service. It was nice, but not 5 star. It had basic amenities, no sauna or steam room or plunge pools, etc.

Overall, we enjoyed the location of this property and the fact that it was right on the beach. Staff were friendly enough, although the follow through was lacking, hence my 4 star rating. Service was adequate, however it was noticeably more sparse on the weekend especially at the beach. During the week, we had great personal service. On the weekend, the staff were much busier and we felt neglected even with handsomely tipping the beach/food and beverage servers.. We highly enjoyed our room and view in spite of our frustration with the "upgraded" room on the first night. My advice is to research the room type that you want and are paying for, and insist that the hotel honor this, and if offered an upgrade ask to see both rooms to ensure that the upgrade you're receiving truly meets your expectations.

Room Tip: If in East Tower, book an ocean FRONT room. View great, but very small rooms. If in West Tower, ask...
1  Thank sunandmartinis
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for the extremely detailed overview of your stay. This certainly gives us some great information on what we are doing well and areas that we may have n opportunity. I am glad we were able to provide a room that met with your expectations. We have many room types in the property and guests often enjoy one more than another. Thank you for staying with us and know that your comments will be reviewed and shared with the Team. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I obsessed for weeks researching various South Beach hotels and finally chose this one. We were thoroughly pleased. Matthew at Reception was most welcoming and accommodating, letting us check in when we arrived and changing rooms when my spouse had vertigo upon entering a fabulous room on the 17th floor with full ocean views. The second room was substantially larger with less of a view, but it didn't matter really. Everything in the room was ideal. We spent most of our time at the beach relaxing and the staff was helpful and attentive. One came up to the room to give us copies of menus of local restaurants we might like.
Overall the only glitch was the first night I was disturbed by the nightclub noise...all night. Fortunately the club was closed on the second night of our stay. Matthew was able to graciously compensate us for the disturbance. We could easily walk to Lincoln Rd. Location was fabulous. Would definitely return

Room Tip: Staying higher up on nights the club is open would be desirable if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding your trip to South beach and your stay with us. We are always pleased to hear when we meet a guest's expectations. I am glad that Matthew was able to ensure you had a wonderful room. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The most cool and excellent hotel ever! The service all over the hotel was wonderful and sincere without ever being "too much". The rooms are just wonderful and what a mini-bar! The choice of material and products all over the hotel was first class.

We loved it and will never stay any where else in Miami.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding the hotel and your stay with us. I hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The hotel is really nice. Staffs at reception are very friendly and always trying to help you. It really costs the money you pay for it, except breakfast... very poor breakfast for 5 star hotel. you get only bread and butters to eat and must pay extra for eggs or other normal food. hotel has great view ocean view rooms.and also free bike rental. We were staying there 7 nights and it was the best time ever.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

I was very happy to hear that you enjoyed your seven night stay with us. I was disappointed to hear that the continental buffet did not meet your expectations. We are constantly looking to improve both our products and service and we will definitely continue the conversation on that offering. Thank you for choosing us for your stay in South Beach!

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I went to South Beach a weekend getaway with the girls. From the Valet to the reception to the concierge I was greeted warmly and felt right at home. The staff went above and beyond to accommodate us. They offered umbrella's chairs and towels service beachside. And we were able to rent bikes free of charge to ride around the city. The slippers and robes in the room were extra soft and the iPod docking station was a personal favorite. The hotel design is modern and laid back. James Royal is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful beach with world class service and an excellent central location with shops and restaurants within walking distance. Close to perfection...can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

And we can't wait to have you back! Thanks so much for telling us about your experiences. So glad to hear that we met all of your expectations. Hurry back to enjoy some more fun in the sun with us.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at the James a couple of weeks ago for a few days while travelling on our 3 week honeymoon. I would prefer to give the James a rating of 3.5 stars... but rounded up.
We booked a King suite with ocean views. We arrived at about 15 min before check in and were told our room wouldn't be ready for 40 minutes... fine, we went to the bar and had some lunch. When we went to our room we were shocked and disappointed to find our room had a view of the other hotels, not the ocean. From one end of the room you could see the ocean through the buildings, but not when laying in bed like we imagined. We asked to be moved, they said they were fully booked and might be able to move us later. They forgot but refunded us the extra money we paid for this view.
Other than this the room was very clean and tastefully decorated. All modern with an art deco vibe. The whole hotel is really beautiful, I love how minimalist it is compared to the other showy hotels. We mostly hung around the hotel while we were there, it is located right at the end of the hotels on South Beach, couldn't be a better location really.
The only thing really lacking about the hotel was the service. We had breakfast at the hotel every day. Every day they forgot something, it got annoying after a while. We ordered room service once, it never arrived. Some of the staff were great, others wondered around flustered... though it wasn't busy. The food at the hotel was fine, not amazing but fine. Would I recommend it? Well I did my research and I believe it is good value for money compared to the other hotels. The service we got wasn't great, if they improved I would rate it higher.

Room Tip: Read the fine print... room with a view may not actually have a view... ring and check that it does.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thanks for telling us about your stay. I was disappointed to hear that the view was not what was promised. Your comments regarding the service were disappointing as well. We strive to give impeccable service and it seems we did not hit the mark on your stay. I hope you will return and visit us again. Thank you again.