“Dream Weekend Getaway”

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed October 18, 2013

I went to South Beach a weekend getaway with the girls. From the Valet to the reception to the concierge I was greeted warmly and felt right at home. The staff went above and beyond to accommodate us. They offered umbrella's chairs and towels service beachside. And we were able to rent bikes free of charge to ride around the city. The slippers and robes in the room were extra soft and the iPod docking station was a personal favorite. The hotel design is modern and laid back. James Royal is a beautiful hotel on a beautiful beach with world class service and an excellent central location with shops and restaurants within walking distance. Close to perfection...can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

And we can't wait to have you back! Thanks so much for telling us about your experiences. So glad to hear that we met all of your expectations. Hurry back to enjoy some more fun in the sun with us.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at the James a couple of weeks ago for a few days while travelling on our 3 week honeymoon. I would prefer to give the James a rating of 3.5 stars... but rounded up.
We booked a King suite with ocean views. We arrived at about 15 min before check in and were told our room wouldn't be ready for 40 minutes... fine, we went to the bar and had some lunch. When we went to our room we were shocked and disappointed to find our room had a view of the other hotels, not the ocean. From one end of the room you could see the ocean through the buildings, but not when laying in bed like we imagined. We asked to be moved, they said they were fully booked and might be able to move us later. They forgot but refunded us the extra money we paid for this view.
Other than this the room was very clean and tastefully decorated. All modern with an art deco vibe. The whole hotel is really beautiful, I love how minimalist it is compared to the other showy hotels. We mostly hung around the hotel while we were there, it is located right at the end of the hotels on South Beach, couldn't be a better location really.
The only thing really lacking about the hotel was the service. We had breakfast at the hotel every day. Every day they forgot something, it got annoying after a while. We ordered room service once, it never arrived. Some of the staff were great, others wondered around flustered... though it wasn't busy. The food at the hotel was fine, not amazing but fine. Would I recommend it? Well I did my research and I believe it is good value for money compared to the other hotels. The service we got wasn't great, if they improved I would rate it higher.

Room Tip: Read the fine print... room with a view may not actually have a view... ring and check that it does.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Thanks for telling us about your stay. I was disappointed to hear that the view was not what was promised. Your comments regarding the service were disappointing as well. We strive to give impeccable service and it seems we did not hit the mark on your stay. I hope you will return and visit us again. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel. First, the grounds of this property are absolutely beautiful. Well maintained and managed, several pools, several bars, the rooms were very contemporary and comfortable and the staff was amazing! IF I had any gripe about this hotel, would be the front desk location. When I arrived, it was a bit late, 9/10 pm. The lobby was full of screaming children and crowded with adults, I am guessing, waiting to go out for the evening. While this isn't out of the norm for a hotel, I thought the space where the front desks were located were too close to the front door. They have multiple beauitful spaces throughout the hotel that could be used to house the front desk, why cram it in the smallest space, beyond my imagination.

Overall, I would totally stay here again and would highly endorse this place. The Florida Cookery breakfast, while expensive, was to die for!! The service impeccable and the view, unmatched.

Room Tip: If you book an oceanview or ocean front king suite, you are good to go. I was in a direct ocean fron...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

I was so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and the Florida Cookery as well. I hope that you will return in the near future and visit us again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I chose this hotel based on other reviews.
The positives are the staff and Intelligencia coffee.

Outstanding!

The disappointing aspect was receiving an inferior West wing room after paying for an upgraded room. The hotel was nowhere near capacity, and we should have been placed in the East tower.

The only other disappointment was having to inform staff of a room service tray left in the ice room by someone for two days.

Overall nice hotel but not in the class of Loews next door or the Delano up two blocks.

Not on par with Chicago property.

• Stayed: October 2013

Thank you for giving us the feedback regarding your stay. I apologize that you felt the room you were in was less than that of our East Wing. We have highly desirable rooms in both towers and it would never be our intent to give you less than what you expect. I am glad you chose to celebrate your anniversary with us and I hope you will come to see us again in the future.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

A nice property in South Beach, a short walk to Ocean Drive or Lincoln Road. We spent three nights here on a romantic weekend and were met with nothing but courteous and friendly staff. For a fair-sized hotel, it maintains a boutique, design-centric vibe. Our particular room was large and comfortable with a great bathroom/shower. The complimentary bottle of filtered water in the room was a nice touch. The pool area is a bit tight but nice; we never used it as we opted for the beach.

By far the most important thing they got right was abiding by my request for an ocean-facing king bed guestroom (basically emphasizing that I wanted the room type I specifically reserved). I booked on a third-party website and added this request in the comments section (along with a notification of a late check in and as high of a room as possible), and they went one step further by leaving us a bottle of prosecco for our anniversary. I realize that this is the type of thing a hotel *should* get right, but I've gotten similar requests ignored at other places on holiday weekends.

We managed to have breakfast (room service), lunch, and dinner meals at Florida Cookery and enjoyed the food and the service. Food and drinks in general are on the pricey side, but par for the course for South Beach. Also par for the course is the slow beach-side service, which is understood given that there's one kitchen and bar serving the restaurant patio, bar area, pool, and beach. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise to slow down our consumption of watery $16 cocktails. The staff itself however was perpetually friendly if not always available. They provide a daily 'James Box' that contains small bottles of water and fruit, complimentary.

One main turn-off: $19 for a use of an umbrella (no charge for the chairs themselves). They already charge a daily $21 'resort fee' (whatever), presumably for towels, beach/pool chairs, etc. but want to tack on almost as much just for some shade.

Overall I'd recommend this hotel for those seeking a second-tier place in South Beach (meaning a quality place, but a rung below the Loews and Delano-type spots in South Beach) in a spot-on beachfront location, with a stylish yet not over-the-top design, & friendly staff.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ecuazilian
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I was happy to see that you were recognized for your special occasion. I apologize if the beach service was a bit slow and we will continue to improve on that. I hope you will visit with us again in the future.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

little touches were great-water and fruit on beach, we used car valet and every time we picked up car two water bottles were put on seats
glamorous mid century beachy place.
Rooms was small but bright , faced beach and had very comfortable bed.
Staff very friendly and eager to help; French cookery breakfast could use upgrading.
Showerhead was great but amenities were not replaced and at that price it was appalling that no moisturers were supplied especially at a beach resort.
All in all its a nice mixture of olad and new and a great place to hang out for a few days

Room Tip: get a room facing beach on higher floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your comments. I apologize that your room was missing the lotion and that your amenities were not replaced. This is unsatisfactory and has been communicated with our Housekeeping Team. I hope this did not inconvenience you too much during your stay. When you return next time, all will be perfect. Thank you again.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

i thoroughly enjoyed my four days at the hotel the staff on a whole were wonderful, the hotel lived up to my expectations and i will definately stay there again for my birthday trip in january. my room was excellent , the SPA was amazing , the best i've been in so far, loved the warmness of the pool at nights, access to the beach was easily navigated and the gym was ok to say the least.my girlfriend is dying to return to the james royal and so am i

Room Tip: loved the loft suite
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Great to hear of your wonderful experience! We look forward to having you return and definitely bring your girlfriend as it seemed she had a nice time! Thanks for staying with us.