Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have never written a review but I just got back from a weekend at the James. It was AMAZING! I never wanted to leave. My biggest compliments was the staff. Well, the door men in blue and the beach workers. Mine was Edwardo and I wish I could bring him home with me! He was so helpful and had great suggestions on food and clubs. He and all the other guys went above an beyond for us and made us feel great! This hotel location was perfect! We saw everything we wanted from shopping to beach to bars and clubs by a short walk. I cannot wait to return here and to eventually visit the NY location! The Only negative was at check out they tried to charge me $250 smoking fee when no one smoked! She did however state she would remove the charge. And the web site states they have infused fruits, water pails for feet and iPods and nooks but when we asked we were told no all 3 days. BUT- this absolutely didn't hurt our stay and I highly recommend the James and Edwardo!

• Stayed: July 2013
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for the nice comments regarding your stay and the service you received from Edwardo. It was great to see that we created a stay for you that hit all of your expectations. I was disappointed to see the comments regarding the infused fruits, water pails and ipods and nooks as we have all of these available. I will certainly discuss these areas with our Sun Concierge and Lobby Concierge as they are responsible for these areas and ensuring the rest of our Team is aware of how to secure these items. My apologies that you did not get to experience them during your stay. Hopefully you will come back to see us and we will be able to provide another great set of memories.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

We had a great two night pre-cruise stay at this hotel. We weren't expecting a whole lot, since we Hotwired a nice rate and were expecting to be treated like second-class citizens.

Rooms are clean and mid-century modern. We had a very small balcony that wouldn't even fit a chair - sort of like a small ledge with a railing - but was useful for hanging wet swimwear so they could dry in the heat.

Location can't be beat. Right next to the Loews hotel and a block away from Lincoln Road. Walk out the back and they've got their own "private" beach section with orange umbrellas and chairs. Minor complaint we had was that when we checked in, we were told that chairs were $10 each and an umbrella was $15. Expected to pay $35, when we got to the beach stand they said it was $45. I think gratuity is probably rolled in there, but who pays $10 tip on a $35 charge? If it's going to be $45, then they should just tell you that it's $45.

Somehow we got free continental breakfast each morning, but really they just bring you a croissant, banana, and coffee. No continental breakfast buffet, even though we saw a lot of stuff as part of the main breakfast buffet that we didn't want to pay for. Skipped it the second morning and just went to the Starbucks around the corner.

Another small nuisance was that we could hear some club music thumping at 3 am, even though we were nine floors up. But is there even a club in the hotel? I didn't think so. It was definitely coming from within the hotel as I opened the balcony and didn't hear it from the street. Couldn't figure it out but wasn't enough to keep us awake all night.

We would definitely come back to this hotel the next time we're in Miami. Especially if we can get a good rate on Hotwire!

Room Tip: Our opinion is that the oceanview upgrade is not worth the money. You can't see the ocean at ni...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your stay. I apologize if the rates regarding our beach experience were not quoted to you correctly and I have spoken to our Front Office Team to ensure this doesn't happen to future guests. We do have a Night Club on the premises named SL and you should try it out when you come back to visit us. Sometimes the bass can get a little aggressive and I apologize if that in any way was a negative to your stay. I have noted the issue and will certainly continue to monitor this. Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit with us.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Wonderful experience at The James. Great service, decor, staff and rooms. The beach amenities are perfect, hotel atmosphere is relaxed, furniture in lobbies are retro but brand new. Good security made us feel secure, even though I was traveling with my daughter, not my husband.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing the highlights of your trip. It is great to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and also that we were able to provide you a safe and secure environment. We look forward to seeing you and your daughter again.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had an amazing stay at this hotel. The place and amenities were incredibly clean and provided to all our needs. We enjoyed the beach and the private chairs and umbrellas. And the staff on the beach were very nice and always checking on us. Our room was cleaned when requested and when calling the front desk we got thre exact information we needed. We must mention one individual who made our stay the best it could be. The concierge Mr. Brooke Price sat with us and discussed what we wanted for our stay. He reccomended dining and going out options based on our interests and budgets and was always spot on. He made our trip amazing with great places to eat and clubs. We had guestlist and reservations everywhere and felt we had star treatment. He also always ensured we were 100 percent satisfied and followed through if we had any concerns to make our vacation the best it could be. He is without a doubt an asset to this hotel and we will recommend to all our friends to seek your hotel out to access the amazing services and staff you have to offer.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences at the hotel. it was wonderful to read of how Brooke was able to make your visit so special with regard to all of the arrangements he made for you. It is such a pleasure to see that we were able to provide the type of experience that you will remember. Come back and visit us soon.

Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Conde Nast tapped The James Royal Palm as a Hot Pick for 2013 -- and my experience says they could not be more correct! From the moment we walked in the front door and up to the front desk the service was as good as it gets. Anna Maria went beyond the call of duty to make sure we were well satisfied with our room (the Oceanfront vs. the Ocean-view was a worthy upgrade, 11th floor, excellent room with a view!) Concierge Peter was extremely gracious and helpful with help in planning daytime activities. The location was perfect, right on the beach and within walking distance to just about everything, I loved the biking/walking/running path within steps of the hotel, it was perfect for my daily 4 mile run. The hot tub was totally cool. The next time my vacation plans bring me back to South Beach, The James Royal Palm will be my destination of choice. About the only petty complaints I might have are too many people at the main restaurant (probably because the food was so good) and no Showtime to watch Dexter in Dexter's own back yard. :-)

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Bill P
Eddie T, Asst General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the property and the service you received from Ana Maria. We are in the business of making memories and it is truly satisfying when we hear that we accomplished our objective. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to be your home away from home when you come back to South Beach.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

From the minute my niece and I walked through the front doors we felt pampered, because we were. The staff goes above and beyond to make you feel comfortable and welcome. When we visited the beach out our back door a wonderful gentleman brought us cushions and towels and umbrella's and set us up and delivered us a basket of water and apples.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. When we exceed your expectations, it means we were able to achieve our goal. I hope you will come back to visit soon and make us your home away from home. Thank you.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Usually I think staying at a hotel on South Beach will be just average but staying at The James Royal Palm exceeded my expectations by far. The hotel is very clean. The staff is friendly and go out their way to make your stay as perfect as possible. I really love this hotel and am planning another trip with many of our friends to stay here next year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for telling us about your amazing visit. It's a great feeling when we hit one out of the ballpark. We are excited at the opportunity of hosting you again in the future. Hopefully we'll see you soon!