“South Beach with friends”

Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #97 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed June 20, 2013

The James Royal Palm was an excellent hotel to stay in South Beach. The location is very convenient on the beach with wonderful chairs and a very attentive staff , such as Eric, Andrew, Joseph and Michael. At the spa, I had the best spa experience with Liza. The rooms are nicely decorated and have very comfortable beds and pillows. The outdoor restaurant overlooks the pool and beach and was a great dining choice to meet for drinks or meals. Mamadou was very friendly and helpful. We loved seeing his beautiful smile each day. I would definitely recommend the hotel and return in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Write a ReviewReviews (3,658)

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This hotel was great for the price we paid. I have stayed in many different hotels on Southbeach and thus can make that comparison.
The room was big, clean, and modern. The mattress and pillows were very comfortable. I really liked the fact that there was not that many kids at the pool or in the hotel and one could relax.
The front desk service was average to above average. Upon arrival, we didn't get our luggage after an hour had passed and had to go downstairs to get them ourselves. Another gripe was that some, not all, of the beach attendants did not seem that interested in their job. Also the restaurant "Florida Cookery" seemed overly expensive for Sunday brunch ($45 per person).
I hope as time goes on the price of the hotel does not go up in opposite direction to its quality, as has been the case with many hotels on Southbeach like the Delano and Loews.
I recommend this hotel for adult singles and couples, and would go back there.

1  Thank ManofTastes
Reviewed June 17, 2013

This hotel has improved immensely since its recent renovation. Modern, yet comfortable feel to rooms. Lobby has a great new coffee bar at which you can grab a light breakfast or snacks for a reasonable cost. Pool and beach service is excellent. Outdoor patio/bar is trendy and fun. New gym has a good variety of up to date machines. Shower in our room was one of the nicest I have been in - toiletries were extremely luxurious and high end. Restaurant next door (The Catch) was a perfect place to dine our first night - food was terrific and service was impressively efficient. Would recommend this to anyone looking for a place to stay on South Beach.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Love beach staff, nice pool attendants and great concierge . Lovely bell boys and welcoming staff!! The pool was always nice and clean. Water temperature in the jacuzzi was perfect. Waiting staff and servers where pleasant !!!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We just returned from the James last night and we couldn't have been happier. The hotel is in a perfect location on Collins Avenue, walking distance to everything you could want in South Beach. The location on the beach was also amazing. What really makes the hotel stand out though is the staff. Every single person we encountered over our five day stay went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. We really could not have asked for a better pre-baby getaway!

1  Thank 859Traveller
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The customer service was great! Everyone that worked there showed sincere interest in ensuring that your stay is pleasant and all showed willingness to go above and beyond expectations.

The issues I have encountered:
1. Room (#438) - I found it to be too small and had barely any walking space once you set your luggage down (2 double beds). In addition, there was this constant sound of what seemed like problems with the plumbing. I timed it, coming at regular intervals of between 5 to 7 minutes - all day and all night. I could have addressed it to the hotel. However, I suspect I would not be the first to tell them about it.

2. Bathroom - as the days progressed, our faucet let out less and less water.

3. The neighbor - the hotel is pet friendly. I love it! The downside is I ended up with a neighbor who's dog doesn't stop barking...especially at night. The hotel should really consider separating guests with dogs apart from guests without dogs. I stayed there for 4 nights and between the plumbing noise and the barking dog, I didn't get very restful sleeps....I used my earplugs, but they didn't help.

4. Breakfast - over all, sub-standard and overly priced.
If you have to have breakfast here, don't go for the buffet. At $28 per person, the choices are limited and are either unseasoned (scrambled eggs - no other egg option), undercooked (sausages), overcooked (bacon). The a la carte is a good option there...if they let you order. They discouraged us from doing this...the waitress told us that the buffet crowd was keeping the kitchen busy. That really rubbed me the wrong way. At that point, we were already sat down and have been waiting for 15 minutes. If they can't handle a la carte orders while serving buffet, why offer it at all? They could have easily moved the a la carte breakfast option at their downstairs restaurant during buffet hours. This is the first "upscale" hotel I've been to where the guest is discouraged from something they would like, rather than go the extra mile for the guest. Although she was all the while, very apologetic, she really made us feel like we were inconveniencing them.

5. Beach and pool manager (Joseph Kemp) and his crew.
On our first day at the beach, we found out that the hotel assigned only 2 towels and 2 chairs for our room, but we were a group of three. The girl in the hut told us that the hotel would bill us for the extra person. Needless to say, we were annoyed...and I guess it showed because in steps in Mr. Joseph Kemp, the beach and pool manager. He asked us when we arrived and how long we were staying. He asked one of his guys to take us to a group of three chairs, gave us our towels and apologized. He said he would look into the mix up and told us not to worry. Joseph was awesome! He knew how to diffuse the situation immediately and he made us feel like we were the only guests in the world, lol! He and his crew were very friendly and very accommodating all the time. The way they treated us really made us think "wow, so this is what it feels like to be on vacation!!" I wish I could say the same for everything else there. Don't misunderstand - the staff, overall, was fantastic. They were very friendly and always made sure you're taken care of. But I really feel that Joseph and his crew really go the extra mile to make a guest feel welcome.

All in all, I think I would go back to the James if I know that all the negatives were looked into. The staff was fantastic, the food (outside of the breakfast issue) was reasonably good and the location of the hotel is great!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Our first time to SOBE and our stay here was great. The hotel is in a perfect location and the staff goes out of there way to make sure you are satisfied. Beach, pool and boardwalk access is perfect. We highly recommend the James and will be returning soon