Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort
Ranked #99 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Thornton, Colorado, United States
“Very hip hotel!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I stayed four nights at The James during the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. Beautiful, minimalist styling. Very courteous and helpful front staff. Very comfortable beds. There were a few, very small issues that aren't even worth mentioning. The location is perfect! Right on the beach, and the beach amenities are wonderful! You must eat at the hotel restaurant, Florida Cookery. Absolutely fabulous!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Patrick H, General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Patty C-

Thank you for the fabulous review! Glad you enjoyed the staff, decor, beds, location, beach amenioties and Florida Cookery!

Hope to see you again soon!

Patrick Hatton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (573)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just checked out of room 1633 after staying for 3 nights for the wine and food festival. I met up with 3 girlfriends in South Beach for a long weekend to enjoy the festival. We chose this hotel due to its location.
Pros: location
Cons: service was terrible- couldn't get the bare bone basic of housekeeping down!, rooms were also tiny and poorly designed/constructed

While the hotel itself is stylish - I'm not certain what happened when it came to developing the guest rooms. Someone who has never stayed in a hotel before with tile floor decided it would look great and went for it! Poor decision and one that management needs to fix immediately - you can hear everything your neighbor is doing....from a normal tone conversation to the television....word for word. Management - really no excuse to let this continue, you can easily test this yourself and implement fixes. I was even surprised when I was leaving and at the elevator bank to still be able to hear my friends talking(we were 2 doors down from the elevator).

Service - housekeeping service was unacceptable. On Saturday our room still had not been cleaned by 3:30 so I called "guest services" ....nobody even answered! I ended up having to go downstairs to the front desk and request a room cleaning immediately. Hard to believe but the next day it got worse....as we were getting ready to leave for an event, the maid knocked on the door - I told her we would be gone by 11:30 ....could she come back then....imagine my surprise when I came back at 2pm and the room was still a disaster! I called guest services - this time somebody answered and I told them our room needed to be cleaned immediately. We left the room and I came back at 5pm to start getting ready for dinner reservations .....the room hadn't been touched! I called guest services AGAIN and explained this was the second call for the day and fresh towels were needed immediately. 30 minutes later my friends were coming up from the beach and we all decided to simply meet at the front desk as phone calls for immediate service were being ignored. We were told by a manager that towels were coming and to stop by before our dinner for a complimentary drink (not certain how this would be possible as we were going to be ridiculously late for our dinner reservation), but ultimately solved the problem by finding a housekeeper on our floor and having them get us towels. Later that night after dinner we asked that the complimentary drinks be brought to our room - even that was a hassle! I haven't seen the bill yet so not certain if they were even complimentary or not.

Stylish hotel, but when combined with poor service and loud and small rooms....not worth the price ....this hotel is struggling to get the bare bone basics right! I'll have to check out Loews next door the next time I am in town - was at a brunch there and the service was impeccable.

Room Tip: If you do stay here - be certain to get a room that does not have the ability to be an adjoining roo...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Patrick H, General Manager at Royal Palm South Beach Miami, A Tribute Portfolio Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
CoalMine_Canary-

Thank you for your detailed account of your experience at The James Royal Palm. I am terribly sorry that we failed to deliver the basics, much less that extras that are the cornerstone of our brand.

We will reach out to you offline to get more details so we can learn more and take immediate action to better serve our guests.

NYC
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

So is The James expensive? Yes but all of south beach is. If you base it on that premise, then the James is well worth the price. It's in great location, the service is great, loved hanging by the heated pool and the rooms, while not large, were good for a couple of night's stay. All in all I would return.

• Stayed February 2013
MsNy-

Thank you for the great review of the James Royal Palm! I'm glad that you enjoyed your breif stay and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2013

I don't like to write bad reviews and gave a hotel I stayed at in Budapest, Hungary, recently a 5 star rating, but my experience here was dismal. I asked for a room with a sea view and balcony and instead got one overlooking the parking lot. Worse, it happened to be a cold night in Miami (around 50F) and there was no heating. When I went down to reception (after being stuck in the lift for 5 minutes) they said they would send an engineer. After he came up, he announced that the thermostat in that particular wing didn't work which was why there was no heating, but that it was an unusual cold snap in Miami. Not that it did me much good--I was freezing in that room the rest of the night.

I was able to change my room the next day in the late afternoon (the heating worked in the new room), but as it was only a 2-day stay, that didn't make up for the first night. The staff asked me where I was from. I said London, and they thought it was a big joke. Surely it was colder in London? I replied that it was, but at least in London I could turn the heat on when it was cold!

My other complaint was the breakfast. For $35 you would think breakfast would be to a very high standard and cooked to order. I was looking forward to it. Instead they directed me to the buffet and I ended up with congealed scrambled eggs and cold bacon. It must have been sitting there for 2 hours. When I complained, they brought me a few pieces of lukewarm, fatty bacon, hardly any better. The coffee was cold as well which I sent back. I would say this was the worst hotel breakfast I ever had in my life and for a so-called 5-star hotel to serve this glop is a disgrace. I've had better in cheap b&b's in Britain for one-tenth the price. At least the orange juice was fresh but that was about the only thing edible.

As to the bathrooms, they were quite clean, but I got only lukewarm water out of the tap, so had to shave in the shower which I've never had to do anywhere else.

The staff was pleasant, if a bit funky, but that didn't make up for a disappointing stay. Most of the guests seem to be 20-something pop stars, at least that is what I assumed; otherwise I can't understand how they could possibly afford the $600 a day room rates. I would never stay here again, even for a quarter of the price. Those of you who do want to stay in this "boutique" hotel with all-tiled floors and TV's the size of movie screens, please do avoid the breakfast like the plague: there are plenty of excellent diners and coffee shops just around the corner.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Nagyvarad
Nagyvarad-

While I appreciate the kind words about our team, I am very disappointed by your experience as a whole. I will reach out to you offline to gather some additional information in order to confirm that the thermostat issue has been corrected. We have recently relocated and upgraded the breakfast buffet in order to serve a more diverse and consistent product. We will continue refine and change to insure a high quality experience.

I am most disappointed in how we handled your concerns. You gave us the opportunity to turn your experience around and we failed to do so. For this and the issues you faced, I am sorry.

Look forward to learning more from you offline.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2013

We checked in to The James after a great time in Key West and we were not disappointed. The hotel has recently had an expensive makeover (still going on but hardly noticeable) and all the rooms are designed in a modern version of Art-Deco. For a few dollars more we were upgraded to a suite with an all important bathtub for the wife, a comfortable bed and a comprehensive mini-bar with a kettle for our morning tea. We found The James to be well situated between South Beach and Lincoln Mall for interesting architecture, shopping and "arts & crafts" fairs. There are also many restaurants of all types within walking distance, a favourite area for us was Espanola Way which contains many fine Spanish and Latin-American style eateries, and then there is Ocean Drive, lined with Art-Deco hotels, for a fun night out if you want a noisy but "buzzy" atmosphere and a stroll amongst the trendy throngs on South Beach!
The staff of The James were all exceptional, too many to mention but special thanks to Nina, and Lakeshia on reception, Florian the concierge, Michael who brought us alcoholic fruit on the beach, Caesar, Heinz, Maximilian on the door and Marcel (friendly lady in the gift shop).
Favourites too were the pool and beach staff who looked after us: Aneta at the poolside, Betty (lovely girl) and Marcel (helpful guy) on the beach, headed up by Tim Brophy (cool dude!) who made the sun shine even brighter. We'll be back! Patrick & Suzanna

Room Tip: Two choices: quiet room in the tower with small balcony and great view of the ocean if you don't...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick and Suzanna-

Thank you for the terrific review. I appreciate you taking time to share your experience and for calling out Nina, Lakeshia, Florian, Michael, Caesar, Heinz, Max, Marcell, Aneta, Betty, Marcel and Tim (and yes, he is one cool dude).

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Bay Village, Ohio
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We checked in and were able to upgrade to a larger room (sort of a corner suite). The room is spotless and funky. Nice shower! The staff at the front desk and bell staff were great. We met the Concierge at the pool and has been wonderful. He made reservations for us at Catch for tonight and is providing us with several fine dining options and other recommendations. The food at the pool was creative and far better than your typical pool food. So far an A+, especially since we happened to end up here during the big Sobe Wine and Food Festival... The staff are very friendly...

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked this hotel a few months ago before the recent favourable reviews so it was a bit of a gamble. We got a corner beach view on the 14th floor. We were only there for 2 nights and as we were seeing friends in Miami we did not spend much time in the room. Bed/bedding comfortable. No bath in bathroom but shower was large with a decently powerful shower head. Used the gym first thing in the morning so there was no one else around. Not huge but perfectly adequate. Also used pool early before other guests around. Perfect water temperature. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel. It looked as if there was a buffet on the Sunday, but we missed it as we were going out. On the Monday morning there was no buffet, it was a la carte only, so we gave it a miss - if you wanted fresh juice, a few coffees, fresh fruit & pastries, the breakfast cost would have been quite high. Overall, we were pleased with our stay. The location was perfect for us - the hotel backs directly on to the beach & does not have a busy noisy road between hotel & beach like hotels such as the Betsy. The room was really quiet although voices carried from people walking past our room during the night/early morning. I would highly recommend it for a short stay, and rate the location 5/5 but if we were going back to Miami beach for a longer, more leisurely stay, I would prefer to choose a hotel with more luxurious rooms.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple