“Fantastic!”
Review of Gale South Beach

Gale South Beach
Ranked #54 of 214 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Beautiful hotel, amazing room and friendly staff. Room had a private patio with couch and chairs. Restaurant is beyond belief, plates are beautiful and delicious. This is a great location and we had a great time. Stay if you can!!

• Stayed: October 2013
Anamaria T, Manager at Gale South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear siestalee,

Come back soon if you can! Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us. I am happy you have enjoyed our Terrazzo Room with its great comfortable furniture and unique views of the city. Our restaurant, Dolce Italian is definitely a favorite among locals as well as tourists. I am wondering what your favorite dish was….so many options to choose from! I am still trying to pick mine, not an easy task as everything is so delicious. We hope to have you as a Guest again sometime soon. Do not hesitate to contact us at galeguest@meninhotels.com to make arrangements for your return trip.

Ana.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed October 2, 2013

I gave this hotel 2 stars because the history and location are spot on. For being a hotel built in the 20’s, the 35 million renovation is really nice (huge tv’s/ nice showers/ tile floors/ etc). Now after the few positives, I will tell you about how my experience was mostly negative here at the Gale. The first issue I have with them, is that they nickel and dime you every chance they get! The $25 resort fee also has tax on top of that. The $35 valet parking per day also has tax. So if you choose to valet your car with them, its about $75 more per day to stay there on TOP of your room rate. Keep that in mind when booking. The food at the restaurant is fairly small portions and expensive. The $14 pancakes are more like crapes and not filling at all. (Tax AND 18% gratuity are added to that also) so for $20 pancakes I was still hungry. The club downstairs has some good music but is not ventilated properly. It was SO hot and sweaty it was hard to enjoy ourselves. Also we could smell Weed the whole time so someone was definitely smoking it down there and stunk up the whole place. Our second day here, I woke up to check my email and had an email from my credit card company that a $777 charge was pending on my card from the GALE!!! I was furious since I had purchased NOTHING with my card there. (When checking in, they did put a hold on it for the $100 per night hold for incidentals so that was $300/ 3 nights) So at this point I had $1,000+ pending on my card from them. I called the front desk immediately and the worker confirmed there was a mistake and he would ask the manager what to do. The manager (after I walked downstairs and waited 20 minutes) told me that it was a ‘system glitch’………. Ummmm ok. How does $777 get randomly charged to my card? I was so upset and they didn’t seem to think it was a big deal. No one wanted to take responsibility or to make it right. He told me I could work it out with my card company and there was nothing he could do. After this I was so turned off at the service at the GALE. Nothing was offered to make the mistake alright. Free breakfast? Anything? Nope, nothing. These people have some serious managerial skills to learn if they want the Gale to be successful. Another negative, We had to check out at 3 am to catch our flight. I called valet at 2:30 AM to notify them to have the car ready at 3. We checked out at 2:55 at the front desk and the woman notified me our room statement was not ready but she would email it to me. It’s been 3 days, the charge had gone through on my card, and no room breakdown of charges was emailed to me as of yet. Back to the valet, we were waiting outside at 3 for our car to be brought around and nothing was in sight. At about 3:10 the car finally got there. It took 40 minutes to get our car!!! No one was even out at the hour on a Monday morning at 3am. How could it take that long? This is just another example of the poor service offered at the Gale.
Overall, The building is decorated well with old time photos of original guest that stayed there during its prime. The smell that is pumped through the building is quite strange though. It reminded me of leaves burning outside during the fall. A kind of warm, musty, fire smell. It didn’t bother me but it certainly wasn’t a smell I would choose to ventilate through my home. The front desk help was all friendly and were willing to offer things to see and eat. My advice is if you choose to stay here, you better monitor your charges and credit card every day or random things could pop up and good luck getting anyone to care to help you there.

Room Tip: If you buy the cheapest room there is very little space. We got the basic room with the balcony and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bella12bb
Anamaria T, Manager at Gale South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Bella12b,

First and foremost, thank you for taking the time to write this detailed feedback on your recent stay with us at the Gale. We appreciate your compliments regarding our renovation and spot on location. It seems though that we have failed to meet your expectations regarding customer service. This matter I personally take very serious and for that reason I would like to extend our sincere apologies for any inconveniences you might have encountered. We strive to provide stellar service to all of our Guests and definitely the numerous reviews acknowledging it stand as a proof that our Team takes this matter seriously. As a hotel we follow a transparency policy through which we advertise all our fees online including our Resort Fee and Parking Fee. Most of our Guests find a great added value to our Resort Fee as it includes daily $15.00 food & beverage credit, beach access as well as unlimited wifi connection. In regards to the credit card charge, it has been brought up to my attention that this was just an authorization taken upon check in as a guarantee of payment for the room and tax as well as any possible incidentals. The authorizations are always being released upon check out. Once again, please accept our sincere apologies for this unfortunate situation that might have caused you a big inconvenience. I would love the opportunity to further discuss with you and find a way to turn this experience around for you. You can reach me at my personal email address ats@meninhotels.com. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The Gale has been around for a long time and was done up in 1986. The most recent renovation was completed in December 2012 and has been tastefully and elegantly done. Wooden floored passageways with photos from the 1940's and 1950's maintain the earlier history of the place no lend an air of nostalgia.
We were welcome warmly at checkin. Our car was discreetly valeted. Our room was small but we were prepared for that. It was very clean, well appointed and beautifully presented. Linen was crisp, shower area was spotless. It was just great. Breakfast was good and well presented. All the staff went out of their way to please and were well versed in the history of the hotel and the surrounds.
This has nothing to do with the hotel but Miami Beach has a tendency to have a whole lot of tax
add-ons which have an effect on the bottom line. I wonder if they had Meyer Lansky as a consultant when they were doing their financial planning :-). But as I say, these were beyond the control of the hotel. Just remember that there are a number of tax add-ons.
The other thing was that work was being done on Collins Ave in the shopping district and access was a bit difficult. Again, not the hotel's fault.
We would return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear djhdcj,

We take great pride in our history and heritage here at the Gale so it makes me very happy to read such a great review on it! Thank you for being our Guest and we would love to welcome you back next time you are visiting South Beach. I’m sure the work on Collins Ave will be finalized by then. Believe us we want that as badly as you do. Feel free to contact us at galeguest@meninhotels.com for a special rate as a repeat Guest.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

New hotel near everything in South Beach. Rooms were clean and modern and service, especially Craig at the front desk, was outstanding. Try to bar downstairs later on at night when you get home as it gets quite crowded. Pool service was excellent as well

Thank you Gale SB I will be back!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Nick B,

Thank you for being our Guest recently and for posting this nice review on your stay. I will make sure to share this review with Craig, he is definitely a key member in our Team with great customer service skills. I sincerely appreciate you recognizing him in your review. Hope to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This hotel is amazing!!! The staff is extremely friendly and the decor and rooms are outstanding!! Very clean and a great location. I would highly recommend this hotel. The night club located in the hotel is also alot of fun!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I have to say this is one of the nicer boutique hotels I've stayed in on South Beach. Great service, nice rooms with balconies (depending on room class), and nice rooftop pool. I will definitely come back.

I like the proximity to other major hotels without having to spend a fortune.

Room Tip: Look into the balcony rooms facing Collins Ave.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 29, 2013

This hotel is a great choice if you are traveling to South Beach. The staff was attentive and helpful. The hotel was beautifully designed with decent sized rooms in good condition. Very clean. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends