“Italian food made right”

Macchialina Taverna Rustica
Reserve with OpenTable
Macchialina Taverna Rustica is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #216 of 1,090 Restaurants in Miami Beach
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Rustic Italian Cuisine from James Beard Semifinalist Chef Michael Pirolo. Macchialina is an energetic, casual Italian taverna featuring the bold, seasonally inspired cooking. The recipe is simple, clean flavors, fresh ingredients & rustic accents. The 70-seat establishment emits a warm, inviting and hip ambiance that feels as if it has been plucked from the streets of New York City. The dining room is adorned with antique brick walls, cozy, tufted leather banquettes and handcrafted wood tables. Macchialina's lively bar is the perfect spot to enjoy a Negroni and snacks or a full meal.
Miami, Florida
“Italian food made right”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My hubby and I headed to Macchialina Taverna Rustica because we are such big fans of the Pubbelly family and had yet to try this place.

We were there early and hungry and discovered that they had a tasting menu which is not advertised online. We had to go with that, but we were also in time for happy hour when they offer oysters at half the price. So, we started with a dozen oysters from Massachusetts and British Columbia. Yummmmy....they were fresh and the sauce that came with them was a nice compliment to the oysters. What a great start...

While we waited for the first course to arrive, they brought us olives with roasted tomato sauce as an amuse bouche. We don't eat olives, but I had a couple of them just to try the sauce, which was very nice.

Then came the first course, japanese mackerel with sliced cucumber, cherry tomato, olive oil and balsamic, and a crispy chip. It was succulent and you could taste all of the different textures in just one bite. Mmmmm....

The second course was grilled butter-squash with cauliflower, kale, pear, parmigiano cheese, and prosciutto di parma. Very scary description but it turned out to be a wonderful combination of flavors. We were happily surprised with this one.

The next course was the broccolini al cesare with toasted garlic, parmigiano, and boiled egg. This is the chef's play on caesar salad and it worked. Along with this plate, they brought us the next course of polenta with italian sausage and cipollini. Wow! This was one of the best items of the night. The polenta was creamy and cheesy and the sausage was sweet and spicy. Delicious!

The next course was something we ordered in addition to the tasting menu, because apparently it wasn't enough food (it was, but we eat a lot!). We asked our server for his favorite dish and he said it was the tortino di melenzene, which is cheese wrapped with sliced eggplant, baked, and served with tomato sauce and two slices of toasted bread. This was absolutely fabulous. The eggplant tasted more like bacon and the toast was so good I also ate it with the polenta. Our server said it fools vegetarians who think there is meat in this dish, but there isn't. Amazing!

Next came the fettucini pasta with porcini mushrooms, black truffle butter, and fresh basil. I'm getting hungry just writing this. The pasta is made from scratch at the restaurant and it melts in your mouth. From now on I will never eat store-bought pasta ever again!

Then we had the caneloni filled with meat and covered with beets and cheese. Needless to say the mere mentioning of beets scared me straight because for years my mom tried to make me eat beets with very disappointing results. Well, I loooooved this dish. The beets were fantastic, just a bit earthy and sweet. Maybe I do like beets -after all, I learned to love Brussels sprouts- :/

We also had the cavatelli machialina with baby meatballs, porchetta and pecorino pasta. It was sooooo good. At some point during our meal the three pasta dishes were in front of us and we were just chowing them down without even breathing. They were so good that we forgot to take a picture of them.

We then had the pork chop milanese with fava beans and mustard jus. The pork was perfectly tender and the batter was light and crunchy. My hubby ended up stealing half of mine when I went to the bathroom! He is leaving his rookie ways behind him :(

The last savory dish was the branzino "a cqua pazza" with black olives, tomato, and mixed seafood. The branzino was nicely cooked and flaky, but the best part of the dish was the mixed seafood which had a very good flavor.

We ended our meal with the bread banana pudding with butterscotch and walnuts. It is served with ricotta cheese with bitter chocolate, which I didn't like much because I like my desserts sweet. The bread pudding was delicious along with the butterscotch and had bitter chocolate in the middle for a fun surprise half way through :)

The other dessert was the tiramisu with chocolate crumble and expresso granita. It was a beautiful dessert served in a mason jar. The tiramisu was creamy and sweet with delicious layers of chocolate crumble. The granita tasted exactly like expresso which made this dessert a huge hit.

Congratulations to the Pubbelly family for this wonderful addition. We are looking forward to your steakhouse

Visited November 2012
3 Thank Marlykimbonike

Miami, Florida
“Italian "tapas" in South Beach”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

I heard about this restaurant a few months ago and added it to my restaurant "to do" list. I was in Miami Beach for the Auto Show and decided to stop by for dinner. The food was all very good quality, as you could expect from the pubelly people. We ate Oysters, Carpaccio, Octopus, Lasagna (very good), and a pizza. Everything was very tasty and interesting. The pizza was the lombarda, which has pancetta and gorgonzola. I really liked it, but my wife found the gorgonzola a bit much.
We also took advantage of the happy hour bar prices for beer and wine at $5
If you haven't tried it, go ahead and enjoy a nice meal. You won't be dissapointed.

• Visited November 2012
“Yummy!!!!”
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Four of us dined there last night... We ordered several dishes to share... the cheese and salami plate, bread and cheese fondue, artichoke, short rib lasagna, taglione with mushrooms, and the eggplant.... Everything was DELICIOUS... Recommend sharing plates so that you can try everything.... All that food plus two bottles of wine and the bill was approx $220. Not super cheap, but not super expensive either. Every table was full. Tiny but cozy. Will definitely go back!!!

Miami Beach, Florida
“Great Italian gem”
Reviewed November 6, 2012 via mobile

This is by the same owners of pubbelly. The food is fantastic- especially the pizzas- and reasonably priced. They have a great happy hour that is a pizza and a pint of beer for $10. Only drawback is that outside seating is on traffic heavy Alton Rd.

Miami Beach, Florida
“Great new-ish local spot- yummy food.”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Food is just delicious - authentically Italian dishes with a creative flair- have been there twice - enjoyed both nights. Not inexpensive but not stupidly South Beach overpriced. Although if you order enough small plates it can and will add up- especially if there are only two of you. Pasta is made in house and very delicious. Only two gripes are that it does get very noisy when it fills up- typical of many South Beach restaurants but be prepared- and also they could use some more reasonably priced bottles of wine.

• Visited October 2012