“Extremely disappointed”

Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach
Ranked #60 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I'm a loyal Hilton Diamond guy and I booked this hotel on points for a new year's getaway. Right away our experience was disappointing. Our room wasn't ready when we arrived and the front desk said it would only be a few minutes. No problem. I gave my cell number to the front desk and we headed to the restaurant for drinks and snack. The food was good, but the service wasn't great. They charge 18% gratuity on everything, so no real incentive for the service to be outstanding. After two hours of waiting I went back to the font desk and our room was ready (never got a phone call).

The room was okay - not as nice as I expected. The AC wasn't very cool, but it's December so we opened the doors to the patio. Unfortunately we are on the fourth floor, which is directly above the parking garage and the corridor between the two towers. Needless to say, it was loud. This was a points stay, so I understand that I don't get the best room, but I was disappointed as a Diamond member. The room eventually cooled off and the noise settled down later in the evening. About this time we discovered that there is a club next door. We listened to club music (with incredible amounts of bass) until 4:00 AM.

After a sleepless night I called the front desk to see if another room was available. They took my cell number again and said a manager would call me back. That didn't happen. I called again a few hours later and the front desk told me the club is only open on Sunday nights, so we should be fine. They were wrong. The club is open again and it's NYE, so they are open until 5:00 AM.

After our second sleepless night I call the front desk again and they tell me again that the club is closed for the evening. I'm doubtful so I walk next door. The man at the club told me they would be open, but would close at 11:00.

We had a couple of smaller issues as well. The wireless connection was spotty at best and our room was never cleaned.

We decided at this point that we've had enough. I tell the front desk that we are checking out early and I would like to speak to a manager. He is busy, but I'm told he will be available in a few minutes. We gather our luggage and come back down. The manager is still busy, but should be available in 10 minutes. We wait 20 minutes and decide to move on. I gave my cell number to the front desk again and they tell me a manger will follow right up with me.

The manager never called, so I decided to share my experience on a couple of the travel websites. Then I get an email thought the travel website that the manager would like to speak with me. I send him my phone number and finally got a call back. He left a message that he would make sure my unused points would be refunded.

I won't be going back. In the dozens and dozens of Hilton properties that I have stayed I have never come close to having this poor of an experience.

7  Thank Josh H
HiltonBentley, General Manager at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

We regret the noise related to the New Years Eve festivities taking place all over South Beach (including next door at Nikki Beach) affected your overall experience with us. I understand our Director of Operations had contacted you to discuss.

Reviewers: The hotel is located in a relatively quieter and more sophisticated enclave of South Beach. There are instances such as New Year’s Eve where a heightened level of exterior noise can be expected.

Sincere regards,

John, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,832)

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Loyal Hilton honors patron here. Extremely disappointed. Drove up to a very disorganized valet setup, followed by the most disappointing front desk experience ever. First of all, check in time is already later than most- 4pm. So there is absolutely zero excuse for rooms not to be ready until 5. Each time we'd check back with front desk they would radio the housekeeping staff through static and get "not ready yet" really? And the explanation was that they had so many early checking and late checkouts that it was crazy. What???? Is that the customers issue? With the prices and points charged for this property this is unacceptable. Lobby is über small and theres no clear bellman or idea who to go get your stored luggage from. Thank god for a woman named Debbie, a manager type who showed up and saw throngs of irate people without rooms at 5 pm and remedied the situation, and got us Ina room. But no one should have to start their stay angry. Without Debbie, the front desk staff had no control of the situation. They gave us two free drinks at the bar for our trouble.

The room is nice, upgraded modern, we had a balcony with ocean/city view. The curtains in the bathroom make you feel like you are exposing yourself to the world. Worst night of sleep ever. Barking dogs in hallway, you can hear pins drop through the walls. I was a bit floored when the woman next door put her dog in the hallway at 2 am and told him to shut up.

Breakfast in am was good. Beach is nice. Pool is small, but fine.

Overall this place needs to work on major details. I will not be returning.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marylandmama
HiltonBentley, General Manager at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your review. Please accept my apologies for your delayed check in process. I can certainly understand how the delay would affect your overall experience. We are reviewing the root causes of the delay for better efficiencies.

I appreciate your loyalty to Hilton Worldwide.

Sincerely, John Lacle, General Manager

Reviewed January 2, 2013

I very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. I was apprehensive about staying on Ocean Drive, but this location is actually perfect because it's away from all the craziness of the restaurants and it's right on the beach so unlike many other Ocean Drive hotels where you have to cross the street to go to the beach, here you just walk right out from the hotel. That was great.

We were upgraded to a King Suite and had a very spacious room. Great service and very attentive staff. It's an old hotel so you have to keep that in mind when travellinig.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Masik23
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Went to Miami for a Heat game, Dec. 18, and decided to stay at the Hilton Bentley because I am a Hilton Honors member AND because of location and reviews.

I agree with a previous reviewer, the hotel is just not up to par and you don’t get what you would expect for the price.

The room was clean, the staff was helpful, and the complimentary cocktails were a nice touch. I don’t care about paying for the parking, it’s expected in South Beach but, paying for internet access simply to check Email is, IMHO, a bit over the top.

The elevators smelled of tinny metallic metal polish, the place needs a facelift – paint peeling on woodwork in the rooms, stains on the shower ceiling, rust on the light fixture, the shower handle came off in my hand, in-room coffee pot was seriously stained…to the point where I went to the restaurant to get a cup of coffee in my pajamas.

Paid for the breakfast package – the restaurant could close and it wouldn’t make a difference to me. Food was bad, they were out of eggs, service was lacking.

Upon check out, someone had charged a meal to my room. The desk clerk immediately removed the charge after I showed him my signature and the tickets to the game (at the same time the meal occurred).

Purely personal opinion, but if I’m spending $700 for two seats to a basketball game, I’d certainly like to find someplace other than the Bentley for almost $300 for one night.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
HiltonBentley, General Manager at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your valuable feedback. I agree with your assessment of the room condition issues stated in the review as being not acceptable for the caliber of our hotel. Please accept my apologies. We have identified the specific room occupied and had attended to the specific issues mentioned weeks ago.

John Laclé, General Manager

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed her for NYe 2012. We arrived early and could not check in, however they stowed our luggage and let us use the pool area. The hotel is on the beach and they have their own private area on the beach. Only thing is it cost $10 for each chair. We had a chair by the pool free. We got upgraded as we are hilton honours members and had a great view of,the beach. Rom was huge and had a great balcony. We used the kitchen facilities to eat lunch. We spent some of the time before the fireworks with friends. we were a le to listen to the music from bar next door. The room plenty of space for four people. After we checked out, we were again able to,use the pool area before our flight home.

Room Tip: Get a sea view if possible
2  Thank Aggsbaggs
HiltonBentley, General Manager at Hilton Bentley Miami/South Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased to learn you have had a wonderful experience at the Hilton Bentley. We especially appreciate the loyalty of our HHonors Members. Thank you kindly for sharing your feedback.

Reviewers: The hotel does not charge a resort fee. Rather, the hotel charges beach chairs and umbrellas at our Bentley Beach Club separately and as needed.

Sincerely, John Laclé, General Manager

Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hilton Bentley in December 2012. This was our second stay at the hotel. We love the hotel’s location as well as the beach area. The local is location towards the end of Ocean Drive so to speak, but we thought it was a good distance away from all the noise and the hustle and bustle of Ocean drive further along. So it’s kind of the best of both worlds – you get to stay on Ocean Drive and still enjoy some peace and quiet.

The staff is friendly and polite. I would say though, that for a hotel that is so highly priced, there is a lack of attention to detail, which one expects from hotels like these. I am perhaps nit-picking here, but an example of this was at breakfast. The hostess seated us at a different section of the restaurant since it was full. However, the table was not set for breakfast, and I ended up asked three separate servers for the creamer, sugar and a spoon. The breakfast itself was just about ok, and even though we got there one hour before close, supplies seem to be dwindling. In our room, tea/coffee was not replaced after the maids cleaned the room. So the tea that I liked and had on the first day was never replaced for three days! I would not be complaining if this was the Hampton Inn :).

All in all, it’s a good place to stay when visiting South Beach. The tapas during happy hour was excellent. I would recommend this place if you get a really good deal on the price.

1  Thank thecaribou

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your compliments on our overall service and Happy Hour, and your constructive feedback on our breakfast buffet in the morning and in room amenities. Please accept my apologies for missing the details in this regard. We have identified the missed opportunities, allowing for improvement. I certainly hope we may welcome you back to South Beach soon.

Sincerely, John Laclé, General Manager

Reviewed December 26, 2012

Booked the hotel with Hilton HHonors (Gold Level) points for three days over Christmas with my wife for a quick getaway. I had emailed the hotel after booking to confirm a particular room based on tripadvisor reviews. Not disappointed. The Manager, Mr. Alejandro Rico and the Concierge, Mr. Luis Gonzalez, were able to accommodate our request (Room 1017) and upon arriving in the room, there was a nice bottle of champagne and sweets! Room was a one bedroom suite with kitchen and a huge wrap-around balcony overlooking the ocean, government cutaway (watched cruise ships leave for destinations unknown) and the lights of downtown Miami. Watch the sun rise every morning. The hotel is boutique; two 10-story buildings with smallish but classy lobby. Outstanding service all around. Nice pool area on the small side but intimate. Beach area is very nice, cabanas, umbrellas and chairs are available for a nominal fee but worth it. Breakfast every morning was a nice continental one, for $5 you could upcharge for hot but not necessary. The hotel is located below 5th street (the start of South Beach) in a more quiet area. Was able to walk to the energy of Ocean Drive where all the restaurants are, but from the Hilton you are only a 5 minute walk from Joe's Stone Crabs (great takeout) and Prime (across the street). A most excellent choice made perfect by a great, professional staff focused on customer service. Only downside is the hotel is right next to Nikka Beach Club....it can get loud (during Sunday the party went till 5am, but my wife didn't hear a thing). And the wireless internet in our room was non-existent. Minor issues. Will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Room 1017 is the best at the hotel. You are not in the building closest to the beach but you see ev...
2  Thank Jeff B

Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for your review of the Hilton Bentley. I am pleased to hear our team took very special care of you throughout your visit. Thank you for your feedback on the wireless Internet connection. We have addressed the concern.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to South Beach soon.

Sincerely, John Laclé-General Manager