“Everything we excepted - a great hotel, location, and service”
Review of Hotel Victor

Hotel Victor
Ranked #80 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Jacksonville, Florida
“Everything we excepted - a great hotel, location, and service”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The location of this hotel is ideal if you like to be in the middle of the action in the Art Deco district. Great spot directly across the street from the ocean, which you can see from the pool on the second floor. We booked our vacation for two couples (on Bookit) for a 40th birthday celebration for my husband. We has asked for two adjoining rooms. Our friends arrived at 11 a.m. The staff stored their luggage and our friends were told they were welcome to enjoy the pool and property, which they did. Maurice at the pool was fantastic, quick with towels and smiles. We arrived to find our friends on the 5th floor with pool/ocean view as we had requested. However, our room on the third floor was in the corner -no balcony or ocean view, a disappointment. (We did not request to have our room changed because we had been told the hotel was 'packed.) We did have a nice seating area in our room where we visited with our friends. My husband commented that it was a nice bed and he is pretty hard to please in that area. Pool side service was great the following day. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast, included with the room as well as wifi (this we unexpected - on Bookit, these amenities were extra). There was an unassuming concierge on site to help us find the Wynwood Walls/Art district with a map & a brochure to take with us. (I highly recommend going to have coffee at Panther Coffee and then walking this area!) We borrowed the hotel beach cruisers and rode up and down the beach (again free of charge - included in room price). I read that the hotel room cleaning was slow. This was true for us, but we got clued in to put the door hanger for "Please refresh our room," and it was done in an hour. Finally, the man at the door, who I regret to say I did not get his name but had been there for two months, bald and wonderfully congenial recommended the restaurant where we had our best meal - El Cristo in Little Havana on Ocho Calle (SW 8th St and SW 15th Avenue). Order the Churrasco and get blow away!!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms that have a balcony, corner rooms do not and the windows do not open.
2 Thank Sarah S
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Dear SBSmithJax: Thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your special occasion. We appreciate your detail review and are happy that you enjoyed your time with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Anselmo, California
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Victor over the New Year's holiday. We had thoroughly enjoyed our visit. How could you not, staying right across the street from the beach and within walking distance to many restaurants and shopping on Lincoln Road. All in all, we had a great stay...except for one thing...Are the bartenders filling premium bottles of liquor with less quality spirits???
I went to the hotel and bar the night before I checked in just to get acquainted with the area (we were staying at a different hotel down the street due to availability reasons). We entered the bar and ordered some drinks. I noticed that the bar selection looked at bit thin, but at least they had one bottle of premium tequila (Patron silver). I ordered one. It was NOT Patron tequila. My guess is that it was a lower quality tequila. If it comes to spirits, tequila is the one taste that I do know.
I made my suspicion apparent to the bartender, and he denied the possibility claiming that "That would be illegal!". I asked him to open a different bottle of Patron and he informed me that it was the only one and that they were very low on spirits and not expecting their delivery until New Year's Eve. Hmmmmm....
To say the least, the bar staff was very friendly, he did not charge me for that drink, and he did in fact get the delivery the next day. I asked for a new bottle to be opened, it was, and of course, it tasted the way it was supposed to taste.
Very awkward moment, we had a great time at the hotel and restaurant, but I cannot say I could go back knowing that switching bottles at the bar was a possibility!

Room Tip: Corner room with a view of the pool AND beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mario M
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for your comments and observations. I am very disappointed to learn of your experience at our bar and would like to extend my personal apology. It is not our practice to mislead our guests in any way. I am glad to know that you enjoyed your visit overall however, I would like the opportunity to regain your trust in us and have you back again. Please reach out to me directly Cree@hotelvictorsouthbeach.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Earth
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Long story short: Victor is all glitz & glitter without the substance to command $400 nightly pricing.

We (two couples) booked identical/adjoining rooms for a two-night stay on 1/19/14.

Problems began before we even checked in: Called several hours in advance to ask about where to park. Told just to pull up to the hotel for unloading bags—with staff neglecting to mention that a massive street fair had closed down the main boulevard in front of the hotel and side streets for a block behind that day. Much aggravation trying to park blocks away and lug the suitcases. Why not give guests the heads up that this potential hassle awaited?

Rooms were upscale but flawed: Our refrigerator was unplugged upon arrival and seeping water. The safe in our friends’ room was busted and would not lock, and both of their fancy-schmancy bedside lamps fell off when touched, leaving exposed wiring. One lamp in our room later also fell off when we tried to turn it on. Ceiling in our bathroom had noticeable water stains from a leak above.

It was aggravating not to get simple answers to things like “Are there chairs and beach towels available for guests?” or “Is it OK to get food sent up to pool area from bar?” Wildly divergent and conflicting answers from front desk/concierge/pool staff.

At the bar, the waiter badly bungled our food and drink order (how many ways can you screw up wings, chips & salsa and a few beers?). Later, it felt like a shakedown just to pay the bar bill and get out of there. The waiter literally counted the money in front of us as if we were going to run off without tipping. When we politely asked for change, he pointed at the “suggested” tip amounts on the bill and demanded “How much?”

We also had a problem getting our room cleaned: When it had not been tidied by 2:30 p.m. (but our friends’ adjoining room had been), I inquired at the front desk, suggesting that we had been overlooked. Two hours later—still no housekeeping. When I addressed this issue with the front desk supervisor, he insisted the room had been cleaned. What kind of hotel debates this issue with a guest?

The list goes on…We (both couples) got locked out of our rooms with defective room keys…When we asked to use the printer for boarding passes, the same supervisor who debated the room cleaning told us the printer was broken, but that we should “try it anyway”…To speed up our early morning checkout, I was assured we could get the final bill slid under the door (it wasn’t), and despite being assured that a call to the front desk would get us a prompt taxi to the airport, the next morning the staffer had no clue how to call for a cab, asking us if “a half hour wait would be okay.” It wasn’t—and neither was our stay at Hotel Victor.

The only reason I’m not giving it one star is the prime location directly across the street from the beautiful beach. But be forewarned that this is also a prime late-night partying zone, and the thumping bass of dance music lasts well into the wee hours.

Save yourself the aggravation, and look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try another property.
4 Thank FlyByNight
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit. I would like to personally apologize for the challenges you faced during your stay with us. I am very interested in speaking with you, would you be kind enough to reach out to me directly Cree@hotelvictorsouthbeach.com. You shared two nights of your time with us and we should have exceeded your expectations. Your feedback along with our continuous efforts to satisfy our guests beyond measure will help us to do better. I look foward to hearing from you.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Victor after a cruise. We arrived early and the room was not ready but the staff was very accommodating. Very nice room with an entrance right to the pool. The marble bathroom was larger than our stateroom cabin on the ship! Nice infinity pool. This hotel is located on Ocean Drive right in the heart of South Beach so you could walk just about everywhere. We had a very good experience.

Room Tip: see if they have any available on the 2nd floor with sliding doors leading to the pool area. That wa...
Danni T, Manager at Hotel Victor, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for choosing our hotel. I am happy that you enjoyed your visit with us. Please come back again soon!
Leonia, New Jersey
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Just returned from a 3-night stay; we were very pleased with our pool-view room. Loved the complimentary bikes, and the location close to the bike/walking path, as well as it being across the street from the beach. While breakfast was included, it did not meet our expectations, so we found a great place on Espanola Way. (A La Folie) Especially enjoyed not needing a rental car; we were able to walk to all of the restaurants, as the weather was perfect. While there is no hotel information in the rooms, we found the staff friendly and happy to answer our questions. We were somewhat concerned with the noise level coming from The Palace across the street, but as our room was on the southern side, it was not a problem. I would definitely go back!

Room Tip: Pool-view room on south side might be quieter.
1 Thank kajema63
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed 5 nights in this nice hotel, well designed, modern rooms. But service and management below any level. There was no management available to discuss questions or to answer my demands. Operational staff is doing their best, but without any guidance this doomed to be a failure.
And also maintance has something to do in some of the rooms, open lampfittings, where you have to reach for on and off, the electric chair is not far away this way!
Lamps not working above washing table. No light foor a good shave.
Breakfast not any choice, and what is included in the roomrate is greasy and not healthy.
Do I Have to say more.......

Room Tip: If you wat to stay in this hotel, take rooms as far as possible from the straat side.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Maarten-Jan M
Bascharage, Luxembourg
Reviewed January 14, 2014

At the arrival, they had lost our reservation made by internet 2 months before our arrival. We were not expected, and a little bit to soon (around 2 pm). They promised to give us a call when the room was ready. We never received the call. We were back at 4:00 pm at the hotel and the room was ready. When we enter into the room we noticed that it was not clean at all. We informed the reception desk and we had to wait more than 30 minutes to receive our luggages that we left at 2 o clock. We asked also why we had trouble with our television and what was the problem with the air-cooling (external system) that was so noisy that it was really difficult to enjoy the swimming pool due to the noise. They told us that everything would be fixed soon. Nothing as been fixed before our departure and we met people in the elevators who told us that they arrived two days before us and that the situation was like that since two days… For the breakfast that was supposed to be included, we understood that we could chose the continental or the american breakfast. Not at all, one of us only had access to the american breakfast with eggs, the other one was obliged to have the 2 dollars cheaper one… Hopefully we stayed only one night. Very bad night as the air-cooling system noise was also audible in the room… Probably the worst quality for the price I have ever had in an hotel...

Room Tip: Don't expect to receive the service in line with the hotel description and with the price...
1 Thank Jean-Pierre L