“Be careful about cancellation on web”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed February 22, 2010

I booked a room some time ago, then I had to cancel. I went onto the website the weekend before our reservation, and tried to cancel. The cancellation part of the websight seemed to freezing when I hit the "cancel" button. I then sent an e-mail through the website with my reservation number to tell them I was cancelling. I got no response.

I meant to follow up with a phone call, but unfortunately, I was so busy, I forgot to call until after the reservation was supposed to have started. They of course said they never received my cancellation or e-mail and charged me the one night deposit.

Also, be careful when you reserve, online, they do charge one night deposit. The amount I was charged on my credit card was more than the amount stated in the e-mail.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MAFlyer

Reviewed February 19, 2010

Location totally ticked the box for us, was a little quieter than being on the main South Beach strip while being within easy jogging/driving distance. We received a complimentary upgrade which was obviously well received. Pool and spa were both top quality with a handy little gym as well. Had breakfast there one day which was nice but pricey so ended up going to a coffee shop near by. Very peaceful and felt like more of a mature (no kids) crowd. Highly recommended.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Just having returned from three nights at The Standard this is what I can add that I didn't know going in: It IS within walking distance of both Lincoln Mall and South Beach, if you are even a little bit able-bodied. Had I known this I wouldn't have rented a car and valeted it at The Standard, because their overnight valet is $35. And getting your car from valet in a timely matter on weekends - forget about it.
The hotel no longer offers a shuttle service to South Beach, not even on weekends.
My room was nothing fancy but it was clean and had the necessary amenities; however, the walls are thin and on my second night I requested to be moved to the second floor because my upstairs neighbors kept me awake the night prior.
The standouts at The Standard are: the beautiful bay-view infinity pool (a saltwater instead of chlorine pool, which I found very appealing); the whirlpool; the hamam/steamroom/sauna/showers area - I'd flown in from someplace very cold so these amenities were a real pleasure to indulge in and something different that The Standard offers (free for guests) that other hotels do not.
I found the staff friendly and unpretentious. The hotel is just far enough off the main drag (Collins and Ocean) to be generally free of the usual South Beach posturing.
The Standard is not a South Beach party hotel that revolves around a bar/nightclub scene, so if you want that The Standard is probably not the place for you.
Otherwise, The Standard provides a pleasant alternative to the Collins/Ocean hotel scene with calming views of Biscayne Bay (from the pool deck only), spa-like perks, an accommodating staff, adequate rooms, and a relatively quiet place to bed down after a day in the sun.

[Sorry, I did not take photos but I found other member photos helpful and, for the most part, fairly representative of the property. Peruse other member photos and you'll get a pretty good 'picture' of what to expect. *But remember, this is not a 5-Star hotel so be realistic about your expectations and if you are you'll be pleased with The Standard Miami.]

1  Thank the_fine_print
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Perhaps I am spoiled because I usually stay at the Raleigh but this time in an effort to spend less and try something new my spouse and I stayed at the Standard for 5 nights. There is simply no sex appeal to this place. It has the look and feel of a fancy dormitory for a thirty-something, yoga taking, slightly dull crowd. Our first room had crank windows that didn't shut all the way and an air conditioning system that was very loud and couldn't be regulated as well as delivery carts that rolled by outside late at night and early in the morning. Our second room was better but nevertheless the rooms, while clever and in someways thoughtful and charming, are spartan. The outdoor space is nice to have but the "wet" rooms are completely useless as the quasi-public bathtubs are not practical and when one is in them you face the building and not the outdoor view. The pool area gets lots of sun, the sky view is tremendous and there are plenty of chairs. The service at the pool was pretty good, but the whole scene was uninspired. The wooden lounge chairs are quite uncomfortable and to be avoided. There is no music at the pool and the bathroom is an awkward and annoying walk over pebbles and unlike the Raleigh or the Delano and other such hotels, there is no sense at the pool that you are entering a sexy, "chill" zone.
The Spa is way overhyped and annoying because the changing room is on a different floor. Two times I tried to get a massage no one was available. The food is pretty good - a healthy mediterranean menu is a welcome option. Room service was prompt but often something was missing like salt and pepper or enough milk for coffee for two which required two trips. The lobby is a dead and the hotel location is less than ideal. It is, in a quiet and simple way relaxing and not a bad value for the money but no one seemed to be having fun - or at least I wasn't - and I wouldn't stay there again.

Reviewed January 22, 2010

I like this property for being off the main drag on Collins and South Beach, which is a circus, this property, the old Lido of yesterday, is everything you need to be comfy and chill out poolside, a great scene, though very under the radar at times, a NY/LA crowd, lots of actors/playrights and photographers hang there, and it is what is. The cafe is very good, the rooms are small but very old school florida, get one with the tub outdoors on level 1.

This hotel is what being low key is all about...

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2010

The pool and courtyard ground are the the only thing slightly impressive about this hotel.
The rooms are old and dirty with a coat of paint and a couple cheap hip fixtures. Moldy shower. There is no parking so you must use thier valet service. When we checked out they surprised us with the $35 fee plus other associated fees. No class.

Reviewed January 20, 2010

First of all, for reviewers saying "there's worms" or "moldy rooms" or "no electricity"... you all must not get out much! This hotel/spa has rooms adjacent to lush gardens, so yes with all this nature around everywhere, you will encounter nature both outside and inside your room - they're not worms, they're centipides, lady bugs and butterflies. The rooms have natural wood floors and chic decor, so of course they tend to hold moisture, but have never been moldy the 3 times we've stayed there. Miami weather can be unpredictable, and as such it's bound to get hit with storms which most likely knock out the power, but don't blame the hotel for being out of power - out of their hands. So all you haters, if you don't like The Standard... just don't come back to Miami because you obviously don't understand what this place is all about!

Now to my "short and sweet" review: My wife and I are locals who love to escape the crazyness of the city once in a blue moon... so we head on over to The Standard for some well-deserved R&R. Think... trees, gardens, birds, flowing water, soothing sounds, chic decor, yoga, steam room, mud baths and relaxing fun! No place is ever perfect, but The Standard Miami is pretty close! For us locals the rooms can get a little pricey ($200/night), but it all depends on the season. However, even just getting an inexpensive $50 day-pass can get you a full day of relaxation and bliss all over the hotel/spa!

So head on over to The Standard to free all your senses and let all your worries melt away :o)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple