“something different....”

Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Miami
“something different....”
Reviewed October 8, 2009

A 50'ssyle hip. Great spa...can also usen a day basis. Shuttle to sister hotel Raleigh, on the beach. Outside dining on the bay. Beautiful setting.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Cumbria
Reviewed September 3, 2009

Some of the reviews are a little harsh, but I think it all comes down to what you paid and what your expectations are. We got an excellent deal through hotwire.com, though we did not know where we were going to end up. We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at 'The Standard'. It was low-key and stylish, and had an arty 'Miami' feel. It was very quiet and the pool was superbly situated with fantastic open views over the water. The room was very clean and a good size with a huge comfortable bed and good quality bed linen. It is several minutes drive to South Beach if that's what you're here for, so be prepared to drive or get a taxi. I believe this hotel is rated as 3 star and that is a fair rating to me. All considered, we enjoyed our stay here very much.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Helvellyn
LA
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We were in Miami for my partner's grandma's 90th birthday celebration. We are in our late 30s/early 40s, a relatively cosmopolitan couple, from L.A. and before that NYC. We loved our stay at The Standard.

Service was excellent, especially by Alex from the front desk who showed us to our room, and Steve from valet. We ate at the restaurant three times over three days, and each time, the food and service was great -- and the food was healthy; also, the water view is beautiful. All three waiters we had were attentive and terrific. We're vegetarian-with-fish and found great options; and there were also excellent vegetarian and strict vegan options.

We got a terrific rate, below $200/night, because Miami in August is not very popular -- it's very humid, to the point of being kind of unpleasant during the day.

The Standard's swimming pool is fantastic and the hot tub is, as well. We did not try the arctic plunge but saw some people who did, and it seems intense in a good way. The spa was outstandingly nice and many options are free and included.

We were in Room 004, which has excellent privacy and an outdoor tub, which was great, deep and comfortable. If you are modest, staying in a "wet" (with tub) room like ours might not be a good idea unless you have a room that is on the outer ring of the property, because the curtains around the outdoor tub are not opaque. In other words, try to avoid the "wet" rooms facing the pool, and go for the ones facing the edges of the property -- like ours, 004 -- if you are modest.

Our room was clean and basic -- definitely _not_ for someone who is looking for a Four Seasons type of room. I think some of the negative reviews on TripAdvisor may come from expectations of getting that kind of room. And there were a few downsides -- no real bedside table, and no conditioner provided, just shampoo.

Overall, though, the room was aesthetically pleasing, we appreciated that a safe was provided for valuables, the minibar choices were good, the bed was comfortable, the linens were good, and the A/C worked great. Overall, the Standard has an A-plus pool, beautiful water view, great grounds and an excellent spa -- but the rooms are maybe a B or for some people, even a B-minus. Thus, this is not the ideal hotel to hole away in if you are in Miami for work and need to be working in your room in the evenings. Still, we did do a little work and the Internet worked fine in the rooms as well as the lobby.

One final comment -- the valet situation can be a pain in the butt -- but, importantly, Steve at the valet was clear and accurate up front about the timing situation so he made the situation as good as it possibly could be. He made clear that we needed to give the valets prior notice (35 minutes or even an hour at peak time when everyone is going out on Friday or Saturday evening) and that information was invaluable since we needed to make a flight Sunday. We gave them the required 35 minutes' notice and had plenty of time.

My guess is that the Standard has been working on its service issues, noted by prior reviewers, because service was great. Possibly, the relatively low volume of clients in August made the service extra-good; I can't claim to know how the system works at peak time when it's maximally stressed. But people like Steve and Alex not only had the time, but also had the friendly, caring attitudes, necessary to deliver superb customer service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank thekittensLa
Boston, MA
Reviewed July 17, 2009

OK - I got a good deal on the room, but it was a very strange place with a Euro fell to it. The rooms were just o/k, but the water (bay) views were great. The staff was 'snooty' and fake. The food was 'hippy like', and I don't think there was piece of red meat on the property. Parking was expensive and the front desk was unresponsive. I called to ask a question and they never even got back to me. The one thing that I did like was that they had an Ipod/Iphone dock in the room.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Photo4700
ny
Reviewed June 23, 2009

At first, I thought…what a beautiful hotel away from the busyness of the beach, but after several days here, I would rather stay at a hotel on 8th and ocean! The staff is rude. The spa didn’t have any robes or towels. The restaurant had roaches. I could continue…but Im sure this is more than enough reason for anyone to chose another hotel. Sorry Standard…GET IT TOGETHER!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank lovetotravel123Ny
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 13, 2009

I agree with all the criticisms here, some going back 3 years. Looks like the Standard has done little to change.
First, the good: The pool.
OK, now (some of) the bad:
I so agree that the website is deceiving. Very "produced" to exaggerate an "average" place. Basically a spruced up old motel. Not "luxury."
We had a "wet" room (only meaning a tub outside on the deck, but only covered with (small) curtains (at $50-$100 more than a regular room) , so everyone could see you. I decided to try it (it was broken, needed to call repair) and took a "bath" in my bathing suit! There was only 1 robe in room for 2 (desk said we had to request another robe). The room was small, on tiny waste basket, no tables, no space, small TV. Oh, a few hip magazines! (who cares?)
We got in at 6 pm, our room wasn't ready. We HAD to use the $25 valet parking. When checking in, I confirmed that our room, made on the Standard website, included breakfast. The clerk said it didn't. She called the office and they said it didn't. I told her it was on our copy. Unfortunately the copy was in our car, now taken by the valet. There was no valet outside at all. She said she would call me as soon as the car was brought back. I waited an hour near my room!. No one called. I went to the lobby, she said the valet was supposed to call me, the valet said she was supposed to call me. No one cared. A manager came by and helped out, I got the paper, he confirmed it had breakfast. A waste of an hour.
Spa? not that great. I gave been to spas in Europe - this was was below average. Maybe OK for a US spa, but not by much. Basically a sauna, a steam room, a round shower with music ("sound bath" and warmed Hamam seating. That's it. And, yes it was dirty, cracked, paint peeling, etc.
The next day, when we went for breakfast, we were informed that the breakfast "included" was only one item. But the server didn't know which (there were 3 "plans") so he had to find out. I had asked earlier for coffee and was told there was no coffee available, only with breakfast. there was a high "service charge" with the "included" dish.
Then I tried the pool. It was early, just 2-3 people there. I brought a camera to take a picture of the pool view (nice) but the attendant asked if I had "permission" to take a picture. Finally, after much complaining, he said I could take one picture if there were no people in it, and he stood next to me to assure I would only focus on the view and no people. (I am a woman in my 60's so I don't particularly care to be viewing - much less taking pictures - of other guests.
I had planned to stay the full day, but at that point, we - happily - left.
My main complaint was the low level of service and the high prices. I have been treated better in the low level motel that this once was. It was not worth it at half the price.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank NYNM
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed June 10, 2009

I believe in giving people a second chance...sometimes I regret that belief, and this is no exception.

Location, location, location is no excuse for bad service, mis-communication and overall chaos. We arrived for a day of massages, lunch and laying by the pool...not so fast. We arrived early to have lunch and were told there was no service outside by the pool so we went inside, where we were told they weren't open yet, so back outside...long story short and hour and a half later we had a snack inside and were almost late for the massage...no problem though...they were overbooked so they had to fix a hotel room downstairs...not appropriate and the massage was mediocre at best. Then a beautiful storm hit just as I was in the elevator and I was stuck in it for two and a half hours...while the staff kept telling me "the fire department is on the way and will be here any minute". After being rescued, I couldn't leave and my car was under water from the amount of rain...of course there's no proper drainage in front of the hotel. My car is totaled and I am happy never to return to this place. It's a beautiful location, but it ends there. Someone please get them some management help!!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends