Came across The Standard by accident whilst staying in another (very expensive) hotel on Ocean Drive, South Beach for a week's escape from UK rain last month. We had seen the hotel on the always reliable Mr & Mrs Smith website but discounted it because it wasn't on the beach. However, having visited for lunch on the first day of the trip, we soon realised that the location was in fact perfect, close to the Lincoln Road shops and the beach, but well away from the noise of Collins/Ocean Drive. Combined with the stunning waterfront pool, bar and restaurant, extensive spa facilities and very competitive prices compared with other Miami Beach hotels, we decided to abandon our original booking and check into the Standard for the rest of the holiday. This turned out to be a great decision !!
The Standard is not your typical luxury hotel. It has the feel of a 1960s Caribbean country club, with motel-style rooms around a tropical garden that leads to the waterside pool, bar and restaurant. Prior comments around poor service completely miss what the Standard is all about. From the fantastic reception staff (special mention for Alex and Taryn) to all the guys/girls working in the bar/restaurant and spa, the team is a diverse mix of characters, but all very cool, friendly and genuinely helpful. This really adds to the relaxed ambience that makes the Standard such a unique place to stay.
Rooms are quirky but spacious and well equipped. Our "bath terrace large" room was 2x the size of rooms we have stayed in at the deco hotels on Collins with a large bathroom and private patio. Bed very comfortable and well stocked mini bar. The Lido restaurant is also a highlight. Having pre-booked tables at the famous/most fashionable Miami Beach restaurants for the duration of the trip, we abandoned these in favour of relaxing by the water with a bottle of wine at the Lido. Menu is not extensive but a good range of healthy seafood with daily specials, well priced wine list and great service. There is also a juice bar/coffee shop in the garden that does a nice range of freshly squeezed juices, light breakfasts/lunches and proper espresso. The other thing to mention is the Spa, which offers a wide range of treatments as well as daily yoga and other classes, as well as sauna/steam etc. Perfect way to end a day by the pool.
In conclusion, the Standard is not for everybody, if you like to stay at the Ritz Carlton this probably isn't for you. However, if you like something less corporate, with a very laid back/relaxing vibe, great service and food I cant think of a better hotel in the US. No coincidence that the proprietor also owns the Chiltern Firehouse - probably the most fashionable hotel in London right now.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated on tiny Belle Isle in Biscayne Bay, The Standard, Miami is an indoor and outdoor hydrotherapy playground that fosters stress-free socializing in a tropical, contemporary setting. With a minimalist design, the holistic hydrotherapy spa hotel provides a stylish yet intimate ambience just blocks from the glitz of South Beach's nightlife and celebrity crowd. Owned by hotelier Andre Balazs, the hotel, winner of Conde Nast Traveler's Readers' Favorite Spa Hotel award, features a one-acre garden with do-it-yourself hydrotherapy-based scrubs, plunges, open-air mud baths, and stunning amenities that include a 103° F Roman Waterfall Hot Tub, a 50° F Arctic Plunge, and a 12-foot Falling Water Column. The 12,500-square-foot spa boasts one of the largest hammams in North America, in addition to an exceptional treatment menu of bodywork, massage, facials, and complementary health alternatives. More than 40 fitness classes are available weekly (including eight types of yoga), and the hotel's restaurants offer healthful Mediterranean coastal cuisine and al fresco dining. The modest guest capacity (a mere 100 rooms) complements the hotel's communal setting. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Sabre Hospitality Solutions, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and HotelsClick so you can book your The Standard, Miami reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard Miami Hotel Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Beach
- Standard Miami Hotel Beach
- Standard Hotel Miami Beach