“Loved The Standarad But The Beds Suck!@!!”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
raleigh
“Loved The Standarad But The Beds Suck!@!!”
Reviewed August 29, 2008

Our stay at the standard was excellent. BE WARE OF THE 18 DOLLARS DRINK!!By the end of our stay we had a tab of $900 in drinks and 3 bottles of water..... we also stayed in the wet room, the experience was awesome. However, if you or the person you are traveling with likes to sleep in a comfortable bed, this is not the place for you!!
I have traveled all the world and have never slept so badly in my life..everyone that was staying along with us said the same thing.

I would at this point stay at their sister hotel: THE RALEIGH HOTEL and you are still able to use the standard spa.

THE SPA ITSELF IS MAGNIFECENT......and whoever said that the sstaff isnt very helpfull is correct, they are pretty rude!

Grazi

• Liked — the spa
  • Disliked — bed is very unconfortable
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (338)
Granada (Spain)
Reviewed August 28, 2008

My English is not that good, I will be telegraphic:

Everything you may have read is true, that is:

- Beautiful Spa an Swimming pool.

- This coul be a very good Motel (NOT a barely acceptable good hotel). My most sincere congratulations to the guy that took the photos and designed the website...he deserves undoubtedly a pullitzer, or being the photographer of overaged hollywood stars. He managed to make a good motel look like a luxury 5star bliss.

-They also overcharged my stay and I had great trouble to get my money back. You may think this will not happen to you, but considering how many people in tripadvisor speak about the same problem, I am inclined to think it something more than mere chance.

That is all, I did my moral duty to let you know, and yes again, the looks in the website are gorgeous, but don´t you think that the price would be too good to be true? (as they say in my country...no one sells bucks for 50 cents...)

• Liked — Spa and swimming pool
  • Disliked — Rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CarlosGarciaSpain
Branford, CT
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed in a "wet room", which is a room with a bathtub outside. All of these types of rooms are in a private area and have curtains around the yard outside of your room (where the tub is). I purchased some lavender bath oil and had the most relaxing nighttime bath outside in the warm Florida air. It was fantastic.

The sauna is open to anyone using the hotel. It's actually a Russian Bath, with marble slabs to lay on. There are tubs you can use. Everyone wears their bathing suits in this area and the hotel provided robes. There was soothing music playing when I was there. Overall I left feeling much more relaxed than when I went in.

I would also recommend the swings, which are a lot of fun. And the area with the fire in the copper bowl is great.

I highly recommend this hotel for couples looking for a relaxing a fun atmosphere.

• Liked — everything was amazing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 19, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Standard Miami and had a really bad experience. First, the lobby smells like cheap aftershave and makes you want to get out of it as quickly as possible.

The room that they put us in was obviously some sort of overflow room that was only used when the hotel was fully booked. Room number 1 was located on the first floor in the corner where housekeeping keeps giant blue bins filled with discarded, dirty robes from the spa. At one point the bins were completely blocking our door. The room itself did not have a TV (to thier credit, they did install one when we called) and it was filled with bookshelves filled with self help books. Truthfully, it kind of looked like someone might live there or rent it weekly. It was fairly creepy.

Overall, we were very bummed about our stay at the Standard in Miami. I've been to the locations in LA and expected more.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank morr27
Boston
Reviewed August 12, 2008

I was recently at the Standard for a conference - being that it's a 4-star property, I kind of expected a 4-star experience, which was definitely not the case.

First, the good: the Spa is excellent (both services and facilities), the grounds of the hotel are gorgeous, the gym is great, and some staff members were awesome and very helpful (Terri at the Spa, Fernando in Reservations, and Michelle at the Lido Restaurant). They have a really comprehensive yoga schedule, and a beautiful meditation/yoga area. The restaurant had very good, healthy food.

The bad: the rooms are very "rustic" - we had a ground floor Lush Large room, and I must have had to get rid of 3-4 millipede bugs every day (from the floor, walls and ceiling). There were a lot of bugs (which I guess is normal in FL, but I would not expect them in a room at a 4-star property). The floor in our room had water damage. The "desk" is a folding table, and the "nightstands" were small wicker picnic baskets. There was no hotel guide in the room either. For the "discounted" rate of $225-250/night (Miami in August), I would've expected better. The wireless internet signal was not available in my room, so I had to lug my computer to the lobby every time I wanted to go online. I had a friend staying with me in the room, and we requested a blanket for him (he slept on the daybed) - apparently, this 4-star property has no extra blankets on the premises, because they brought him 3 sheets and said they were "out of blankets". I have never been in a hotel that does not provide extra blankets, and certainly not in one that claims to be a 4-star property. The restaurant was pricey for small portions (great food though), which is to be expected - but the kicker is that they include a 15% gratuity on each check and don't inform the customer of this (which I find shady). I also think that cheats the waitstaff out of additional tips - I typically tip 20%+, but after leaving a full tip on top of the 15% at one meal, a friend informed me that they already added gratuity - so feeling duped, I did not leave any additional tips at meals the rest of the stay.

I enjoyed my time there, but for the money they charge, I think it would be better spent staying at a real 4-star hotel that's actually on South Beach.

• Liked — The Spa
  • Disliked — the room, the value received for dollars paid. . .
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank cmitchel97
Winnipeg
Reviewed July 27, 2008

Do not stay at this hotel if the room is important to you and you don't want any problems. I booked this hotel for a 2 night stay on our honeymoon. Management was notified of this so one would expect a 'luxury' hotel to treat you with special treatment of even respect.
I reserved the wet x-large with a king-size bed. However, arriving in the evening after a long flight and being tired, we didn't notice the small double bed until the morning. Also, after we arrived we attempted to make some long distance phone calls but were unable to connect. In the morning I complained about the bed and found out that we had been downgraded to a wet-medium room o our honeymoon after receiving confirmation that we had the x-large room. This is how they treat their first-time guests and a honeymoon. I then inquired about their long distance rates and we were told we had a bill of $500. They charge you for attempting to call...NOT actually connecting and talking to anyone!!!!!!!!! Had it not been to the same number I don't think they would have waived the charges.
It was only until later that we told we were bumped because Kate Moss was at the hotel for an impromptu photo shoot. Google Kate Moss in Miami.
The rooms are tiny and cramped. The bathroom is no bigger than a closet. The in-room safe was not secured down and could have been easily removed from the room under your arm.
The continental breakfast was very sparse. I hope you like toast and peanut butter.
When leaving, we requested a porter and cart which never came and we had to carry 4 large heavy bags and carry-ons ourselves.
They even tried to charge us the full wet x-large room rate when we had stayed in a wet-medium when checking out.
The pool and the view from it was nice, that's about it.

• Liked — comfortable bed, lcd tv and nice pool
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flying_doggie
NYC
Reviewed July 16, 2008

The same thing happened to me. I had a great stay and when I got home I had an extra charge of 215!
The staff was so unbelievably hard to get an answer from and super-rude. After calling about 50 times, I was told they were mini-bar charges... I didn't touch a thing! This embarrassment is a real pity, the hotel was fantastic! I would never stay here again and I would advise you to cancel your credit cards immediately if you have.

Stayed June 2008