“Not quite up to standard”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Toronto, Canada
“Not quite up to standard”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Standard is a fifty fifty for me. Reasons I would go back: 1) The service of Alex and Jose as well as the concierge and pool staff. Shane, Joe, and Gerrardo are outstanding in food and beverage. 2) The spa services are wonderful, and the atmosphere is so relaxing. 3) Konstantina was a remarkable and energetic fitness teacher as was Philip. 4) The pool and the view from the Lido restaurant. Reasons I wouldn't go back: 1) Other than the servers I mentioned, the food service was a disaster. Long waits for attention and grumpy faces. One server looked like he was doing me a favour, and proceeded to read the newspaper as I tried in vain to get coffee. I actually had to get up and chase my server down! An hour for toast and coffee? 2) The rooms are not as large and glamourous as shown. Not a biggie for me, but some would take issue. 3) No free coffee or tea in rooms, and cafe was very expensive. 4) Walls are paper thin. 5) Toilet didn't flush properly and no bath tub (shower only). 6) Some of the other fitness teachers were questionable. One showed up in tattered clothes (one of the holes was on the rear of his pants... not what I wanted to see) and he picked at his feet with a look off indifference while he gave out instruction. Another made fun of me because I wasn't flexible enough to do the poses with full range. Some clearly had not been properly trained to teach what they were teaching. (I speak as a certified instructor with over 15 years background) 7) The most important one... when you put a privacy tag on your door and you call down and ask for privacy, you expect to get it. I was extremely offended when engineering entered my room when I specifically said they did not have permission. I made it very clear that I didn't wish to have them in my room, and came back to find not only had they entered, but they had been in my washroom where all my personal items were laying out. As a single woman travelling, that makes me very uneasy. When I called to complain, they apologized, but didn't really seem sympathetic.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Alexandera Y
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Alexandera Y,
Thank you for your recent review! I am thrilled to hear about your compliments for the staff and service as well as the panoramic views of the pool and Biscayne bay. I am also saddened to hear that you had negative experiences that left an altered view of our culture at The Standard Spa, Miami Beach. We take all feedback seriously and will address with our team members as we continue to strive to improve each and every day. We hope you will give us another try so we can redeem ourselves. Please feel free to reach out to my colleague aperez@standardhotel.com if you would like to book your next visit so we can assure you have an amazing time.
IS

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
USA
Reviewed September 19, 2013

"Myself and 2 girlfriends recently thoroughly enjoyed a day at the standard spa miami beach. The hotel can be deceiving - looking simple, but so much to offer. After valet parking, we went to the spa where we were greeted by a friendly face (Liz), from the spa who toured us and told us everything we needed to know to make the most of our experience. We received fantastic services= a massage, facial, and french manicure. The warm marble of the hamam, baths, mud lounge, paddleboarding, pool, amazing drinks and view? What more can you ask for? We will absolutely return!"

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank dabest714
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

Hotel have the potential to be something extraordinary but falls short because of much needed TLC. With a name like The Standard one would expect nothing less than high standards across all areas of hospitality. However, that is not the case. While the staff provided great service and the overall atmosphere is relaxing and tranquil. The hotel building need some much needed TLC. From the outside it looks like an eye sore and old. The walls are thin and you can hear your neighbors conversations. The grout on the bathroom floor and tub is in need of some deeeep cleaning. Exterior building and staircases need some touch up paint and pressure cleaning. Try to avoid eating on premise food is overpriced and isn't worth it. The Spa, garden and pool areas are awesome.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MTB3000
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed September 9, 2013

The Standard offers a lovely pool and a beautiful view of the bay. Unfortunately, you can't melt under the sun all day or sleep outside. The Standard feels like a has-been motel gasping for a chance to be swank on a limited budget. Shabby chic would be a stretch. The rooms mimic an Ikea or Pier1 showroom, featuring paper lampshades, a 15 inch TV and a see-through-curtain to partition the bed from a day-bed (futon) area. The bathrooms offer paper cups for glasses and limited towels. For the shower, shampoo, conditioner and soap pump dispensers are attached to the walls. Unfortunately, housekeeping failed to fill the opaque dispensers. The floors are warped, the ceilings sag and leak (literally), the bed sheets are hole-y, and the walls sound as if they are paper thin. Worse yet, there are smells of steamed dumplings sweeping throughout the hotel, including the spa area.

Dining: The Lido, which is near the pool, is delicious. The menu offers healthy and indulgent choices, as well as refreshing cocktails. For the indulgent, pick the fries rather than the tots!! Waitstaff at the Lido are attentive and friendly. Their peers at the hotel restaurant, the pool and the spa could learn a few tips. Staff at the pool argue about towels and are slow. Staff at the indoor restaurant took over an hour to serve breakfast. Coffee apparently took 30 minutes to brew, the waitress submitted the wrong order (2X) to the kitchen and got the bill wrong.

The Spa: My mani, pedi and massage were okay. But there was nothing exceptional about the Spa.

Budget: We were in the area for a specific meeting and booked too late for a holiday weekend. The higher price misled my expectations. Be wary of spending too much for this one. At the end of the day, if you are just looking for a quiet view of the bay, this might be a good pick.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank HappyTexas2013
Dear HappyTexas2013,
We appreciate the time you took to write about your recent stay. We are thrilled you enjoyed the pool, restaurant and bayside views. I apologize for the level of service you received at times throughout your stay and will work diligently with our team to optimize. We hope you will give us another opportunity to redeem ourselves and extend the level of service you deserve.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The energy at the Standard is amazing. Only beautiful people, at a beautiful place, everyone quiet, calm, and trying to relax. The hotel has amazing, but pricy baths and classes, and is amazing for the ones that need to relax, and really don't care about the rest of Miami.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade to the rooms with baths.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Brunssum, The Netherlands
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Nice hotel with a pool that has a great view on the bay. Rooms and facilities could use some new paint and furniture. Location is good but a bit far from SoBe. We rented bikes from the hotel which was a great and easy. Reception was really helpfull same as the concierge.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steven T,
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. We greatly appreciate all good and constructive feedback and hope to see you back at The Standard Spa very soon!
Leeds
Reviewed September 3, 2013

First time to Miami and the standard made our holiday. Great views, great food, great breakfast, great drinks, friendly approachable staff and room was lovely and big. There are also different outside areas, should you finish food in the outside restaurant you have so many cute places to go sit and relax with more drinks. I am already looking at my boyfriend and I to go back.

Room Tip: We had the room with outside bath, would really recommend
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple