“Fun pool scene”

Ranked #10 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Houston, Texas
“Fun pool scene”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My husband & I had a great time spending a weekend here. Super fun & cool pool scene. The gardens, pool & dockside restaurant are all beautiful. We had dinner at the dockside restaurant & the view was outstanding. Great food & drinks.

1 Thank kstaudt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2013

When I called to book my reservation, I was prepared to book the bath terrace large room, which features a king bed. The gentleman on the phone directed me to the web site and showed me that they had a package special where if I booked the medium room, I would be upgraded to the large room upon check in. I thought this was a great deal so I did it. Why pay for the large if I was going to get it for free? When I called to confirm the reservation that morning and I was told that I would not have a king bed. I told the clerk that I resent being lied to by the reservations staff and I was directed to a manager who said her name was Precious. On the phone she told me it would be ok and that she would take care of me. Sadly, she lied, too.

Our room was disgusting. There was a thick layer of filthy brown slime on the floor around the internal doors and a wad of chewing gum pressed into the floor by the tiny bathroom. The walls appeared to have been white-washed plywood and each surface had obviously been painted over many times. The queen bed had rough sheets and had seen better days. The sorry excuse for a throw-rug was ridiculously rough. Overall, I rate this room as the third worst I have ever encountered. The good news is that it ranks ahead of a La Quinta Inn outside of El Paso and the Pair-a-Dice Motel in Las Vegas.

The housekeeping manager was playfully forgetful and to pretended to care when I called for towels. After the third call (lunch, pool time, dinner and a 9pm 75 minute massage in between), I just went to their place and acquired them myself. Our dinner waiter by the bar, Jake, was sloppily dressed and it looked like he hadn't washed his clothes in days. Nice enough fellow, but when you're automatically paying 18% gratuity, can't you afford to wash your clothes?

Speaking of the Lido, the view is gorgeous. No doubt. In fact, never take your eyes off of it, because if you bother to look at your food, you will be sorely disappointed. The turkey burger was McDonald's hamburger thin and the diameter of the bottom of a soda can. It was more bland than Wonderbread and at $18 (not including tax and tip), was worse value than stadium food. Now, in their defense, I ordered everything knowing what the price was. But does it have to be such a ripoff?

So let's recap. Staff that lies. Crappy rooms. Over-priced, zen-minimalist cocaine-80's food portions. On to the good parts.

Everything outside. The pools were great, the spa quite fine and the frozen grapes were a treat. And, not to put too fine of a point on it, the mostly-naked, 20-something hard-body girls made for nice eye-candy. And that's it.

Overall, we spent $900 for the 1 night stay. For that we got 2 small bowls of tzadziki, 4 drinks, 2 sliders, 1 lidowich, 2 sodas, 1 pesto pasta, 1 turkey burger, 2 75-minute massages, 2 scrambled eggs with a bagel ($14), 1 three-egg omelet, 1 parking spot and the third-worst room I ever stayed in.

I keep trying to find a reason for you to come and I can't. You could spend the same amount at 20 other places and have a far superior experience. If you want to enjoy the spa facilities, stay at a flea-bag motel up the road and just book a massage for the day. Otherwise, avoid this place like the plague.

9 Thank Lord H
ISMiami, General Manager at The Standard, Miami, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Lord H,

Thank you for sharing your recent stay with us. I am disappointed to hear about your series of unfortunate findings during your visit. There is never an excuse for poor service, but I assure you this is not a frequent occurrence at The Standard Spa, Miami Beach. Our room conditions and food quality are of the utmost importance along with our service culture. It seems we have failed to accomplish our goal with your stay and would like it very much if you would contact us directly to make it up to you. Please email aperez@standardhotel.com at your leisure. We look forward to making this right.
Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and i had a very relaxing time at the Standard last weekend. The pool was amazing on Saturday, and the spa always is perfect! The location is great since we just walked over the bridge to lincoln road and purdy avenue.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the pool and closer to the bay.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Cool, relaxed amazing pool and view. Stay at the lower floor rooms with the tub standing i the deck. Very good food at the bar, great atmosphere. It is not near from the beach so if your are planning to stay at the hotels pool is grat if you are a beach lover maybe something on the beach would be better

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

I love this place. I live local and go for the day. It's like a mini vacation every time. The spa and pool are amazing. The spa serviced are expensive but when you factor in the use of the spa and pool it's well worth it.
The only thing I don't like is the valet. Its rediculously expensive and takes forever.

• Stayed May 2013
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Top notch customer service, especially from Alex, the view and grounds are peaceful, friendly environment, spa and gardens are tranquil, rooms are small, but delightful and cozy. Make sure you request an umbrella early if relaxing by the pool.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a bath tub on the private porch area. Rooms on the back side, not facing the pool ar...
Kentucky
Reviewed June 19, 2013

If the Anthropologie store were a hotel it would be The Standard Spa Miami. This retro hotel/motel has a vibe that is part Euro Chic, part Rat Pack from the 60's. It's wonderful and full of subtle feng shui touches everywhere that have a powerful effect. It is a study in sensuality -- every element has been thoughtfully considered for touch, down to the perfect spoon in our capuccino cup that we want to order for home. It is not a glitzy hotel. We didn't want glitz, we wanted soft breezes, easy going guests, great food, world-class spa, and brilliant staff. We got that in spades. After 3 days of bliss my husband (who has a hard time relaxing) said "This is a really nice vacation." He adds that he doesn't have a hard time relaxing he's just picky. I loved the staff -- Alex is superb at the front desk and everywhere, the head housekeeper generously offered and got me the source for the egg-pod hanging chairs in the garden where daughter and I were blissing out, new Food and Bev manager took time to inspect our take-out order and coach the staff on adding extra elements based on what we wanted. WOW. I love you guys. And then there's the Turkish hammam spa. Salt rub down with Fozley cannot be beat -- truly dedicated practiioner with superb skill and caring manner. I felt restored in 30 minutes flat. WE WILL RETURN. Dianna and Jeff Milam.

Room Tip: Our quiet room was on the left side of the pool as you face the Bay. Loved the large room with outd...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple