“Hidden gem for locals”

The Standard, Miami
Ranked #9 of 212 Hotels in Miami Beach
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My wife surprised me with an afternoon "break" at this hotel, as part of our anniversary. She booked the couples massage, along with a very nice and refreshing lunch in the patio overlooking Biscayne Bay.
This very hip hotel is located in the Venetian Causeway, closer to the Miami Beach side.
I have been living in Miami for over 30 years, and had no idea this place existed. The view for lunch is great and relaxing. The lunch was very good, and priced about right for a SoBe fare, which is to say, pricey.
We had a dozen oysters, all fresh and tasty. We also shared the burrata salad which was also very good. She had a branzino filet (everyone is doing branzino nowadays!) well grilled and flavored. I had the Nicoise salad. All very good and fresh.
We did not have much time to experience the entire Spa accommodations but our massage was exceptional and super relaxing. The Spa pricing is comparable to the other Spas we have tried.
Everyone was very courteous and we were in and out seamlessly. The only "negative" is that I would have expected for the Valet service to be included given the amount of money we spent in their Spa and lunch. We were there for only a few hours, yet we paid $13.00, after their $3 validation. The Valet service is "hourly" with a minimum of $10.00 for the first 2 hours.
My suggestion to management, is to comp the Valet, if someone is using your Spa services.

In summary,I think this is a great option for any couple in town, to consider this venue for a day getaway, especially for a nice clear winter or spring day to to enjoy a good lunch with a nice view and/or if you will, a relaxing massage.
I will return for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Alan A

Reviewed March 22, 2013

PROS
This hotel is the best. If you want a romantic weekend or you want to hang out in a pool 24/7, or you want an awesome free spa, this is the place to be. When staying here I felt like there was really no need to see Miami--I just wanted to stay in the hotel.

It's full of cool looking furniture and the shower gel is the best smelling ever. It has a great free hammam and you can even bring a visitor. We got an upgrade just for asking and everyone who worked there was extremely accommodating. When I tried to tip someone for bringing us extra blankets he said we had paid enough to stay there and it was not necessary.

The outdoor area is very romantic/mysterious--big hedges that lead you to fire pits, hammock areas, and the pool! People under 17 are not allowed in this hotel, which is something I LOVE but is clearly reflected--I saw more than a few people in these secluded areas having some "adult time." The pool is 24 hours, which was great for me. It also had a great waterfall hot tub, view, and plunge pool!

POTENTIAL CONS:
Though we enjoyed our stay, you will not love this hotel if:

--You want a huge room.
--You need secure access. Access to the rooms is from the outside, though a person would have to go through the lobby to access your door--I had no issue with that, but other people might.
--You have a car and are cheap--the valet is crazy expensive ($37)
--You plan to walk between the hotel & Miami beach late at night. Though the hotel is near lincoln road the walk isn't super pedestrian friendly especially at night. Not in terms of crime but in terms of crosswalks.
--You want to spend all your time at the beach. The hotel is not near the beach but the pool is so awesome you will not care.
--You're myopic--the outdoor area is very dark & mazelike--could be a pro, but was sometimes a little confusing.

Room Tip: FOR NON COUPLES: the bathtub deluxe rooms have a daybed in them. It's really unclear from the w...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank jennybento
Reviewed March 22, 2013

A friend and I had massages and facials at the Standard on 3/16. Excellent services, friendly staff and clean facilities. Parking can be a bit pricey and slow with the valet. Lunch service at the pool was slow but it was crowded. Food quality was very good, fresh salad and hummus.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 13, 2013

My partner and I make the trip to Miami often to visit relatives. We've typically stayed closer to the beach along Collins, and paid more for the dubious privilege of being surrounded by drunken college students and the non-stop thump of Euro-disco from the clubs. The Standard was a blissful respite from all that, and I don't think we'll be staying anywhere else from now on.

Although we're not in out twenties anymore (we're ripe, but still fresh), we still want style and sophistication when we're away. The Standard's clientele is generally young and hipsterish, but the generally laid-back vibe of the resort seems to effectively diffuse any of the attitude you might encounter at other youth-obsessed SOBE venues. While the hotel is predominantly straight, my partner and I never once felt uncomfortable, and we did run into a handful of other LG couples at the pool (especially after dark, for some reason). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it for solo gay travelers on the prowl, but it was ideal for us to be in such a relaxed, mixed environment.

We stayed in a large garden room near the lobby: it had no view, and the decor was very minimalist/Scando, bordering on spartan. However, it was comfortable, tasteful, and well-maintained, and the lovely views from the pool area were more than enough to compensate for the room's lack of them. The waterfront dining and hydrotherapy areas are just as nice as the photos make them seem: what the photos can't capture is the amazing massaging waterfall in the hot-tub, and the great music they pipe into the pool (which you can only hear when submerged). I will agree with some of the other reviewers that their poolside service needs improvement, but the restaurant service, by contrast, was excellent.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Standard to any gay or lesbian couple who wants hipness and style without the attitude and pretense that so often goes with it. We'll certainly be back.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DocBearsFromSF
Reviewed March 1, 2013

As a business traveler who frequents spas while on the road, I wanted to express my complete satisfaction with The Standard Spa located in Miami Beach. During my last two appointments, I was scheduled for a combination service offered called the “Soul Temple” which is defined as “A definitive bathhouse experience.” This treatment consists of a 30 minute purifying mint salt wash and lemon-coffee-blossom-olive scrub. This is followed by a 60 minute cardamom amber oil massage and a 30 minute detoxification with a clay polish. Your temple experience ends in a luscious neroli cypress bath soak. Since The Standard has a Bohemian theme, the initial and final treatments are done in their Hamam which is very unique in the United States. Both times that I was a guest at the spa, I had a massage therapist by the name of Fazli. What impressed me about Fazli was not only his professionalism but also his attention to details. Fazli made me feel welcome, which is not always the case at posh salons and spas. Each time Fazli made suggestions regarding the treatments they were out of true concern. He definitely has a genuine compassion for his clients which as a customer I value. I would highly recommend you ask for Fazli when scheduling your next spa procedure with The Standard Spa. However, due to Fazli’s popularity, I would suggest scheduling your appointment in advance because I had an extremely difficult time trying to solidify my return appointment with him. What I prefer about The Standard Spa as opposed to other spas I have visited is that spa guests are encouraged to remain onsite after their treatment. Being a guest of the spa provides you access to their outdoor infinity pool, whirlpool, lounge area with hammocks surrounding a fire pit. Personally, after my service is complete, I venture to the wet area and dine poolside on an extremely healthy and organic menu they provide. Since their poolside is directly on Biscayne Bay, one can’t ask for a more picturesque and tranquil setting! I normally schedule an evening flight when I am in town to take advantage of the amenities that The Standard provides. After a long week, or often times several weeks on the road, it is a great feeling to come home completely relaxed and rejuvenated. My sincere thanks to both The Standard Spa and Fazli for making my visits memorable!

Matthew Kadlubowski

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 28, 2013

we've always stayed on the beach and just put up with the craziness of collins as a necessary evil. nevermore! the standard was such a wonderful experience from the moment we arrived late friday night to when we wistfully checked out on monday. the service was just what we needed, not overbearing, but there when we needed or wanted something. the location, just tucked away on the bay was perfect. the grounds/landscaping were beautiful and amenities offered more than enough to keep us busy and/or relaxed, depending on what we were looking for. we spent out days by the pool and evenings between the fire pit and hot tub with waterfall. ended our weekend with massages in the spa - a perfect ending to our escape from the cold city. we'll be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We loved our stay at the Standard! Came down with my friend for a well-deserved weekend getaway and we were not disappointed!! From the moment you walk in, you know its going to be an amazing experience. From the pool, to the fire pits, to the restaurant, and spa -everything was truly great. The hamam (turkish bath) at the spa is definitely a highlight and we made it a priority to spend some time there everyday. The food at the restaurant is delicious and not too heavy-perfect for eating (and drinking) poolside. The service is really good-attentive enough, but you dont feel like they are hanging all over you, they definitely respect your space. Also, love the ping pong table in the lobby! The rooms are simple, but have everything you would need. This was not our first trip to the Standard and it definitely won't be our last!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends