“Highly Recommended”

Ranked #11 of 208 Hotels in Miami Beach
Estero, Florida
“Highly Recommended”
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Fabulous, relaxing weekend. Great place for a romantic getaway. Loved the mud lounge and scented baths. At the restaurant, food was delectable, the view stunning. The only drawback was the often clueless staff.

Room Tip: Loved our room with the outdoor bath. It was very relaxing to just veg in the tub before going to be...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mstar369

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed at The Standard-Miami for 4dys because my husband wanted me to have a personal getaway for a break from my daily life as a mom of 4 and I was looking for more than just another "spa." I wanted to do more than just lay by the pool and get massages and pedicures. This place was just what I was looking for. It was the perfect blend of simplicity and elegance with attentive but not overwhelming service. I took advantage of bayside yoga classes, mud-bakes under the sun, hammam rub & scrub treatments and deliciously prepared whole foods with wine. I loved the hot tub with waterfall as well as the various outdoor areas for lounging in, truly an adult-playground with a general sensuality to the atmosphere. I will be returning again soon and next time with my husband.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank K I
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I write reviews on each spa during spa month. I call myself Carpe Diem.
I went to the Standard spa today due to celebrating spa month. Yes everyone spa month is a celebration LOL. Ok let me explain the 3 star rating :
First when I pulled up at the spa I was not greeted by the valet guy I was immediately told and was pointed out the small damages to my car. I was mortified. A guest who was waiting for her car even said that was so rude. I notice when I came to get my car from valet the valet staff did not treat anyone else that way nor did he point out damages to their car. (Awkward Pause and Blank Stare...Moving On)
Second the spa front desk staff was not attentive to people waiting to be called back for their massage. For example several people was standing around by the front desk because the spa staff failed to inform them that they can wait in the "relaxing room" area. I also noticed there was several people waiting in line that was not acknowledged by the spa staff. They could have at least said "sorry for your wait" or I will be with you in a few minutes." After standing around for 30 minutes I happen to notice the water by the front desk. When I went to get some water it was empty. ***The spa and valet staff are the only reason I am giving this spa three stars. I would suggest more training in customer awareness and service.***
Let’s talk about the GREAT things about this spa: The Hamam Rub and Scrub (by Max) was to die for. This is the only reason I will be back to this spa. Ladies you must try this massage. Your body will thank you!! You will get a very relaxing massage then you are scrub down and are rinsed with water. When you think you are done you will sit in your own personal tub for as long as you want. I would definitely recommend this massage to EVERYONE. Hopefully the spa and valet staff will redeem themselves by then.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
rolling stone!
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

We wanted to "get away" for the weekend and celebrate our 1 year anniversary ...the standard was the right place. It has a very sexy feel, truly the " adult playground" they advertise.
The highlights include - access to the spa until midnight ( this really allowed us a full weekend of rest and relaxation), great poolside drinks ( but expensive), option for late check out (6pm) for only $99 or you stay and play after check out (and they hold you bags)
The downside - the high cost of food & drinks
- valet- the price is STEEP and they take FOR EVER ( even when you call in advance)

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Esbeicy
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Heard and passed by Standard often but never made it in, had friends visiting and decided to check it out...and I was sold! We had a great time by the pool, great lunch before massage (price a little steep) and totally enjoyed the facility. Best part was the treatments, what a treat and an excellent massage! walked in with aches and pain and dude totally worked his magic! I had massages before but most were swedish and 'deep tissue' but painful! Fozli did some tugging, pulling, trigger points and some acrobatic stunts, I walked out a new man! The rest of the day was a breeze...steam, sauna and oh yeah, the bath AFTER a superb scrub! My company did'nt get the package and boy were they jealous! We did'nt know what to expect when we first got there, nice grounds and overall ambiance but assumed an ok spa, as most spas are very commercial and lack personal touch and little details but this one is a little different. Alexis at the spa reception was cordial so were other staff members! The only minor complaint I had was the squeeky table but the massage made me forgot all about it.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank JacknJill C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We recently stayed at The Standard and I can quite honestly say that it's the first and only time that we will.

I have ever complained about a hotel-- and I travel a lot for work so am always in and out of hotels-- so this is a first. My biggest complaint was the service.

Where to start?

1) VALET
What. A. Joke. Unfriendly and useless. Without fail, we would call for our car 15-20 minutes before we left our room (because their parking lot is a few blocks away, so I understand it takes some minutes to retrieve the car). However, nearly every single time we arrived to the front lobby the car was never there and they hadn't even gone to get it! They were never apologetic and in fact appeared annoyed towards us.

When you pay $25 per day for valet as a hotel guest, I would really hope for some efficient, friendly service. Most places in Europe don't even charge for valet- $25 is a rip off (perhaps the standard should look into a reduced rate for hotel guests)...

The best valet story was when we returned back to the hotel late one night and gave the keys to the guy, he said to us very aggressively and out of the blue, "When you want your car, call the reception because our parking block is 10 minutes away and takes us a long time to get it"... I was shocked because we ALWAYS called for our car knowing how useless the valet was so I said, "Sorry, but we always call for our car!" to which we replied (to my shock again!), "No, when you want your car, CALL the reception." WTF?????? Rude, arrogant people.

2) FRONT DESK
There was only one guy here who was super nice, friendly and helpful. I cant remember his name, but he was the guy that takes the bags to your room. Aside from him, the girls at reception were unfriendly with the usual ''standard attitude problem" that we got from everyone who worked there.

3) POOL AREA
The service at the pool area was laughable. Snobby attitude again! But of course the servers were very nice to their personal friends sitting around the pool, laughing, talking for ages with them. They guy who wears the colorful Ray Ban glasses and a hat was the worst- unfriendly, never smiled at us, not to mention lazy. He spent most of his time talking with the clients (who probably were giving big tips to him), laughing with them and not working. My husband even commented, 'If I owned this place, I would fire him on the spot and about half of these other people because they are so inefficient." The service was slow, the food was average and over priced.

4) ROOMS
We paid for the nicest room there but it was very, very average. I've been in much nicer places for less than the price we paid.

Overall, the experience really left a lot to be desired. If the standard wants to retain customers then they really need to make some changes- do some staff training on politeness and customer service, improve the valet service by 100%

On the positive:
The bed was very comfy in our room, the view was beautiful and its conveniently located close to miami beach. They also have a nice little boutique there to buy clothes and accessories from. The spa was a nice way to finish our trip and the massage was also good.

They also have a good activities itinerary - yoga, hula hooping, bbq's.... (but in saying this, my husband had a rough time trying to do the 7:30am yoga class- no-one appeared at the front deck which is where they hold the class. So he went to the reception and asked if there was a class today and she told him yes, yes go and wait back out at the deck someone will come soon. So he did, but no-one came, so he repeated the process, reception told him the same thing, so he continued to wait at the deck... Then by 8:15 went back to reception where the girl said to him, 'Sir! I was looking for you because they are actually having the yoga class inside. I tried to find you but couldnt..." Which is a total lie because he was at the deck (which she knew), no-one was around, he could see if anyone was coming (and no-one was/did).... Seriously, she was at reception and would have seen the teacher come in? Anyways, like I said, the standard needs a BIG improvement with the way their staff treats clients.

People pay a lot of money to come and have a nice vacation and don't expect it to be ruined by arrogant/ rude staff and bad service.

Room Tip: None. Find a room at a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah J
Miami, Florida
Reviewed August 1, 2012

My husband and I needed to relieve some stress and a place where we could forget about our recent hectic months and escape reality. we decided to go with a special " Stay for a day" and we upgraded it to an overnight stay with complimentary lunch, holistic hamam bath for two and access to the baths and pool area, and more...
Boy did it work! it was the most relaxing and stress free environment: no cell phone in some areas, soft voices, good spa music... the front desk clerk "JC" was very helpful, the staff was friendly and catered to our needs. We stayed in the medium garden room, we loved the design details and especially the mirrors in the bathroom :-) The room is not huge but there is enough space for what you need; most of your time will be spent outside. what you see in the pictures is what you get and it is awesome!The baths, steam room, sauna, sound shower...it is hot but your body will feel new and rejuvenated... next time i will get a massage in that room:-) Food was pricy but great. overall we had a very good experience and did not want to live we will definitely go back. TIP: the infinity pool has a surprise and definitely go into all the little water spots around the pool and follow the steps - do not be scared of the arctic plunge. Last: go during the week if you can there will be less people...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple